The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 19, 2002, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
In our association meeting last week we went over the NCAA video on officiating. We spent a lot of time on illegal screens. I felt I had a good handle on what to look for, but as I walked out it "hit" me "What is the mechanic?"

1. Player A2 is screening and gives the little hip check to B1. Do you use the "Block" mechanic?
2. Player A2 raises his hands after contact and chucks player B1. Do you use the "Push" mechanic?
3. Player A2 has legs spread further then shoulder area. Player B1 trips over the foot. "Block" mechanic?
4. Player A2 slides along with B1, moving screen. Block Mechanic?
5. Player A2 hand checks B1 for his fifth foul and leaves the game. Applaud?

thanks
Old Tue Nov 19, 2002, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
In our association meeting last week we went over the NCAA video on officiating. We spent a lot of time on illegal screens. I felt I had a good handle on what to look for, but as I walked out it "hit" me "What is the mechanic?"

1. Player A2 is screening and gives the little hip check to B1. Do you use the "Block" mechanic?
2. Player A2 raises his hands after contact and chucks player B1. Do you use the "Push" mechanic?
3. Player A2 has legs spread further then shoulder area. Player B1 trips over the foot. "Block" mechanic?
4. Player A2 slides along with B1, moving screen. Block Mechanic?
5. Player A2 hand checks B1 for his fifth foul and leaves the game. Applaud?

thanks
I agree with your mechanic for 1, 2 and 3. For 4, if no contact, no foul. If there's illegal contact, then it's probably a block.

I've gotta try the applaud mechanic someday
Old Tue Nov 19, 2002, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Smile What kind of screen?

You sound like a coach! A moving screen? No such animal.

I think there is some mention of the words "moving screen" in the Points of Emphasis this year but those words are not in the rules - Rule 4.39.6

Mechanic for #4 .... good play.

I've often wanted to try the 'fall down laghing hysterically' mechanic for the coach called moving screen.

[Edited by DownTownTonyBrown on Nov 19th, 2002 at 10:43 AM]
Old Tue Nov 19, 2002, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Ok so I got tired of typing!
On #4 contact was made and A2 slides with B1 while maintaining contact. I used the phrase "moving screen" so that we would all have a point of reference. At least I didn't say Over the Back!!
Old Tue Nov 19, 2002, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

That's an illegal screen!

BLOCK Baby!
Old Tue Nov 19, 2002, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: What kind of screen?

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
You sound like a coach! A moving screen? No such animal.

I think there is some mention of the words "moving screen" in the Points of Emphasis this year but those words are not in the rules - Rule 4.39.6
Respectfully, Tony, I beg to differ. Although the exact phrase "moving screen" is not used in the rulebook, moving screens are discussed and can be legal:

Rule 4-39-2c: To establish legal screening position, The screener must be stationary, except when both are moving in the same path and the same direction.

So there is such an animal as a moving screen, and it can even be legal. In fact, it's mentioned explicity in the section that you intended to reference.

As a side note, there is no 4.39.6; there is no rule 4.39.6. Rule citations are noted with dashes (4-39-6); case plays are noted with periods (4.1.1). I know it seems like nit-picking, but it helps clarify whether you intended to reference a rule or a case example.

Chuck
Old Tue Nov 19, 2002, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed!

The situation is possible - a screener can be moving, and it is legal until they contact (not moving in the same direction thus causing contact).

Although I don't know of a call "moving screen" except that coaches are always asking for us to call one.

The only appropriate mechanic is a block or a push once contact has been made. And I would call it on the player initiating the contact.