The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 05, 2000, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

SURE ITS EASY TO SAY THE REFS SUCKED!WE ALL KNOW EVERYTHING IN BASKETBALL HAPPENS IN A SPLIT SECOND, AND THEY ARE ALL JUDGEMENT CALLS WHETHER IF YOU CALL REC BALL, HIGH SCHOOL ARE COLLEGE WE ARE ALL REFS ND PROFESSIONALS WE SHOULD NEVER BLAST OTHER OFFICIALS FOR MAKING A BAD CALL IT HAPPENS IN THE GAME OF BASKETBALL THATS ONE THING YOUR NEVER GONNA CHANGE THERE IS ALWAYS GONNA BE ERROR IN JUDGEMENT, AND WE ALL DO
KNOW THAT.
TIM
Old Wed Apr 05, 2000, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Golly - I don't see a lot of "blasting" refs in this forum - I do see a lot of "it looked like it should have been called this way" in a manner to provoke discussion. This is the way that we improve as referees - by discussing certain plays and trying to decide what the best call is. We all (us referee types) recognize that officials (even the best!) make mistakes. By watching and learning from each other, we hope to become better referees.

The only people getting blasted around here tend to be the commentators, who think they know the game of basketball, but, just like the officials on the floor, have to make snap judgement calls and are prone to error as well. I'd sooner pick on the Billy's of the world ...

Cheers!
Old Sun Apr 09, 2000, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to logan21
Thumbs up

I agree 100%, of course the refs make a mistake, I would like to see them try! But still there should be no distracting or yelling at the refs!
Old Sun Apr 09, 2000, 02:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Yesterday, I worked my first games of spring league. After the second game, a parent came up to my partner, Eric, and started in on him for not calling enough fouls (on the other team only, of course). Before this guy could finish his first sentence, Eric said loudly, right in the guy's face, "Did I give you permission to talk to me? Well, did I? You can't talk to me without my permission - now get out of here RIGHT NOW!"

The guy was so stunned, he closed his yap and walked away.

Cool!
Old Thu Apr 13, 2000, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rehuel
Cool

I always tell people who "know" it better than the refs: You know what? Next game i'll sit on th sideline and you'll take the whistle and do the reffing.

There was a practice game for the guy's national selection, and the girls just had their training. So I took two of the girls and asked to help me. Very enthousiastic they came. After the first half, they had enough!! Ray, this is some heavy shit, man!! was all they could say!!!