The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   team possession (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/63005-team-possession.html)

stir22 Mon Feb 21, 2011 03:16pm

team possession

say a1 and a2 are in the front court a few feet inside the division line, like six feet apart with no close defenders. a1 passes to a2, who flubs the catch, it hits his knee and the ball bounces between them.

my question is, is team control retained?

/many thanks!!

Jurassic Referee Mon Feb 21, 2011 03:19pm

See NFHS rule 4-12-3

APG Mon Feb 21, 2011 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stir22 (Post 732561)
say a1 and a2 are in the front court a few feet inside the division line, like six feet apart with no close defenders. a1 passes to a2, who flubs the catch, it hits his knee and the ball bounces between them.

/many thanks!!

The term you mean is team control. Team control is established by a player holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds. The only way team control ends is if there's a try, the ball becomes dead, or the defense gains control of the ball.

stir22 Mon Feb 21, 2011 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 732563)
The term you mean is team control. Team control is established by a player holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds. The only way team control ends is if there's a try, the ball becomes dead, or the defense gains control of the ball.

okay, thanks...so if a1 bends over to pick it up, accidently brushes it into the backcourt, goes into the back court completely to get it, do we have over and back?

just trying to get a grasp of the minutiae of the rules...3rd year guy. we had this happen in our jv game friday. asked the varsity guys when they came in, one said over and back, the other two said no. thanks.

stir22 Mon Feb 21, 2011 03:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 732563)

just re-read your post, and it clicked...thanks!!!!

APG Mon Feb 21, 2011 03:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stir22 (Post 732570)
just re-read your post, and it clicked...thanks!!!!

With that information how would you rule your play? And what were the arguments for and against the backcourt violation?

letemplay Mon Feb 21, 2011 03:53pm

C'mon man!

Quote:

Originally Posted by stir22 (Post 732569)
okay, thanks...so if a1 bends over to pick it up, accidently brushes it into the backcourt, goes into the back court completely to get it, do we have over and back?

just trying to get a grasp of the minutiae of the rules...3rd year guy. we had this happen in our jv game friday. asked the varsity guys when they came in, one said over and back, the other two said no. thanks.

3rd year guy and you don't know this one...2 of the 3 V guys don't either?? I'm sorry, I guess I'm missing something here...must not be seeing your post correctly, hmm.

NoFussRef Mon Feb 21, 2011 03:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stir22 (Post 732561)

/many thanks!!

;)

stir22 Mon Feb 21, 2011 04:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 732573)
With that information how would you rule your play? And what were the arguments for and against the backcourt violation?

over and back...team control never ended. no try, no defensive possession.

to "letemplay"

yeah...i knew the question was probably stupid...i do as many games as i can, usually 8-10 per week at any level... but, sometimes the minutiae of the rules get lodged sideways in my brain...seems like the more i read the less i understand. thats why this website is invaluable to me.

APG Mon Feb 21, 2011 04:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stir22 (Post 732589)
over and back...team control never ended. no try, no defensive possession.

to "letemplay"

yeah...i knew the question was probably stupid...i do as many games as i can, usually 8-10 per week at any level... but, sometimes the minutiae of the rules get lodged sideways in my brain...seems like the more i read the less i understand. thats why this website is invaluable to me.

The case book is your friend. Read a rule, then go back to the case book and understand the rule.

NoFussRef Mon Feb 21, 2011 04:37pm

NFHS team control on a throw in?

A1 while controlling the ball in FC calls TO.

We return and TeamA is inbounding in FC... similar to the muffed pass in the OP, A1's pass to A2 bounces off A2 and into BC, A2 retrieves.
What do you have?

APG Mon Feb 21, 2011 04:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoFussRef (Post 732597)
A1 while controlling the ball in FC calls TO.

We return and TeamA is inbounding in FC... similar to the muffed pass in the OP, A1's pass to A2 bounces off A2 and into BC, A2 retrieves.
What do you have?

Are you asking the OP to answer, or are you not sure about the correct ruling?

NoFussRef Mon Feb 21, 2011 05:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 732598)
Are you asking the OP to answer, or are you not sure about the correct ruling?

OP.

I believe I had a partner mistakenly apply NCAA Mens Rule in my sitch during a NFHS game. He explained his interp to a rightfully upset coach. Curious if OP would let A2 retrieve it or not.

APG Mon Feb 21, 2011 05:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoFussRef (Post 732604)
OP.

I believe I had a partner mistakenly apply NCAA Mens Rule in my sitch during a NFHS game. He explained his interp to a rightfully upset coach. Curious if OP would let A2 retrieve it or not.

While there's team control during a throw-in NCAA, there's a specific exception that allows the ball to be thrown into backcourt or caused to enter the backcourt before possession is established. Meaning the NCAA and NFHS rulings are exactly the same.

NoFussRef Mon Feb 21, 2011 05:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 732608)
While there's team control during a throw-in NCAA, there's a specific exception that allows the ball to be thrown into backcourt or caused to enter the backcourt before possession is established. Meaning the NCAA and NFHS rulings are exactly the same.

When I later questioned my P (senior to me in this one) he just muttered something about the throw-in ended when A2 touched blah blah, and told me he would check into it and get back to me... that was 2 weeks ago. So I am only assuming he was thinking NCAA TC on throw-in but your right, even if that is what he meant I forgot the fact that there is an BC exception even in NCAA.

Either way, I think Bob put it as clearly as possible:

It's a BC violation if the following four elements are met:

1) Team Control
2) The ball reaches the front court
3) A is the last to touch before the ball goes to the back court
4) A is the first to touch after the ball goes to the back court.

If all 4 are met, it's a violation. If even one is not met, it's not a violation.