The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
First basketball, then Fox's Celebrity Boxing, what next?

Well, here's what's next. . .

http://espn.go.com/minorlh/news/2002/1112/1460103.html
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 01:13pm
In Memoriam

That's sad.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Well, there is one positive.

McSorley is too short to slash his grill.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Good grief.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think it's all that sad. In fact, I find Bol rather selfless and noble. Here's an excerpt from the linked story:

Over the years he has spent most of his life's savings trying to bring peace to his war-torn homeland, where many of his relatives were leaders in the Sudanese Peoples Liberation Army, a rebel movement. At one point he became an important backer of the rebels, contributing an estimated $3.5 million.

Linde contacted Bol's representatives to set up a public appearance at an Ice game.

Bol recently took part in Fox TV's Celebrity Boxing show and beat former football player William "The Refrigerator'' Perry in a bout.

Bol agreed to take part, so long as Fox agreed to air a toll-free number for the Ring True Foundation, a West Hartford-based charity he set up to benefit southern Sudanese children. He donated his $35,000 purse from the boxing match to the group.

Linde also wants to help Bol's cause.

"According to what I've been told he's open to different kinds of ideas,'' Linde said. "It seems like everything he's doing these days is trying to bring attention to his foundation.''

If I had close relatives dying in the fight for freedom, I think I'd do whatever I could in my power to help end the fighting and earn freedom for them. Walk a mile in a man's shoes before passing judgment.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 03:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up Good Post

Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach

If I had close relatives dying in the fight for freedom, I think I'd do whatever I could in my power to help end the fighting and earn freedom for them. Walk a mile in a man's shoes before passing judgment.
There is much more to life than officiating. You have to realize coach that there are people here that do not see the light at the end of the tunnel. Of course to them it would be sad or disgraceful. But to others, there is much more to living life than what we think here.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

I think the sad part is that his desire to help his family is being taken advantage of by a promoter. I guess then end justifies the means?
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 03:45pm
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Sleeper
I think the sad part is that his desire to help his family is being taken advantage of by a promoter. I guess then end justifies the means?
Sleeper,
It is an "offer" that may be refused, is it not?
mick
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

mick,

I hope you didn't misinterpret my opening remark of my last reply. I wasn't trying to imply that you thought Manute was sad. Maybe you do, or maybe you think it's sad that he has to do things like this to help his cause. But I wanted to make sure someone else reading the thread didn't automatically dismiss Bol as a money-grubber.

Sorry for choosing my words poorly.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 04:39pm
Esteemed Participant

Actually, what is sad here is that Bol is being considered some kind of humanitarian for shoveling millions of dollars into the SPLA...that's sickening.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 05:34pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Actually, what is sad here is that Bol is being considered some kind of humanitarian for shoveling millions of dollars into the SPLA...that's sickening.
I don't pretend to know al of the politics involved, but I had read that the existing Sudanese government is oppresive, especially against Manute Bol's people. I have read further of the atrocities committed by the government and military against certain tribes. His funding of the rebel movement is a move to protect friends and family members and to act out against a government that he feels is in the wrong. Sounds to me like a group of rag-tag rebels in the 1770s. It all depends on your perspective.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 06:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
mick,

I hope you didn't misinterpret my opening remark of my last reply. I wasn't trying to imply that you thought Manute was sad. Maybe you do, or maybe you think it's sad that he has to do things like this to help his cause. But I wanted to make sure someone else reading the thread didn't automatically dismiss Bol as a money-grubber.

Sorry for choosing my words poorly.
PA Coach,
I think the situation, that Manute Bol is in, is very unfortunate.
mick
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 09:36pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
Quote:
I don't pretend to know al of the politics involved, but I had read that the existing Sudanese government is oppresive, especially against Manute Bol's people. I have read further of the atrocities committed by the government and military against certain tribes. His funding of the rebel movement is a move to protect friends and family members and to act out against a government that he feels is in the wrong. Sounds to me like a group of rag-tag rebels in the 1770s. It all depends on your perspective.
When was the last time you read about any of the 1770's ragtag group attacking a village and slaughtering hundreds of men, women, and children, simply because that village supported the existing government?? Don't be fooled - the gov. there is rotten, but so is the SPLA...not the time or place to get into this, but I lost a college friend (who was serving there as a missionary) to these "freedom" fighters...he was trying to deliver food to starving people...nothing more to say...
Old Thu Nov 14, 2002, 04:18am
Official Forum Member

I agree with APC

ADR
Old Thu Nov 14, 2002, 10:22am
9 times

Quote:
When was the last time you read about any of the 1770's ragtag group attacking a village and slaughtering hundreds of men, women, and children, simply because that village supported the existing government?? Don't be fooled - the gov. there is rotten, but so is the SPLA...not the time or place to get into this, but I lost a college friend (who was serving there as a missionary) to these "freedom" fighters...he was trying to deliver food to starving people...nothing more to say...
I am not defending anyone's choice or support of a goup in Sudan. You may not like their tactic, I may not like them, but one's perspective is jaded by their experience. Manute Bol's views on the SPLA is jaded by the atrocities committed against his people by the govt. Remember that the Sudan is in the midst of a "civil" war (hate that term) and those fighting will justify most any action as an act of war and think it is acceptable. Once again, it is all in your perspective.

I am sorry about your friend, I truly am.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019