The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 11, 2002, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

I was at a clinic on last night, and one of the officials showed me a ruling from Referee magazine about 2 issues ago. The play was there was a shot, that hit the floor, and then bounced off the floor, and the horn sounds, and then it goes in the basket. The ruling of referee magazine was that the basket counted, and award 2 points. My problem is once the shot hit the floor, the shot was over, and when the horn sounded, the play ended. I am making the assumption that the horn that sounded was for the end of a period or quarter. Does anyone understand the ruling in referee magazine or know what they based it on?
Old Mon Nov 11, 2002, 04:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

This was in the Oct. issue and, of course, it is wrong. They list the correct answers as "a" - the goal counts and "c" - two points are awarded. The true correct answer is "b" - the goal does not count. Of course the period ends on the horn unless there is a shot in the air and once the ball hit the ground the shot ended.

I expect a correction in the Nov. issue, which I haven't received yet. There was a correction on another case in the Oct. issue, so they do recognize their mistakes.
Old Mon Nov 11, 2002, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

thanks Mark, I had a long arguement with a fellow official on this play. I knew I was right, and went to the book, but they were hung up because it was in Referee Magazine. I told them that the rule book is the guide and not Referee Magazine. They refused to listen, and there whole area is sold that the ruling in Referee Magazine is correct. Please let me know when the correction comes.
Old Mon Nov 11, 2002, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

If you're friend thinks REFEREE is correct just because they're REFEREE, he has a lot to learn. They constantly have mistkaes in their quizzes. Happens all the time.
Old Mon Nov 11, 2002, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

When Rut started quoting from magazine articles in REFEREE, they lost all credibility with me. :-)

Z
Old Mon Nov 11, 2002, 10:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up I will be a life long subscriber.

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
When Rut started quoting from magazine articles in REFEREE, they lost all credibility with me. :-)

Z
If that all it takes to lose credibility for you, Referee Magazine gained a ton of credibility from me. I do not read the magazine for the tests. Much more to learn than what rules they print. BTW, you can look up the rules for yourself. Isn't that what you try to say is the point of test to begin with?

Peace
Old Tue Nov 12, 2002, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Huh? You should be scuurred. :-) <---- (note smiley face once again)

Z
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
If you're friend thinks REFEREE is correct just because they're REFEREE, he has a lot to learn. They constantly have mistkaes in their quizzes. Happens all the time.
Besides which, I think there would be better use for the paper and ink. How often do we need to know this, compared with how often we need to handle difficult coaches, or keep ourselves in shape, or remember all the details of 2-10? It seems like a lot of nonsense to me.