The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   New Official (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/6237-new-official.html)

EddieLopez Mon Nov 18, 2002 09:40pm

Thanks for the feed back Larks. Like I said this sight is def. a kicker. Apparently officials really are a close knit group, great comments and advice, non-stop, really helps people like myself. Daytona that is barely a 3 hr or so drive for me being from Miami. When do you have to sign up for that real early or around May-June? I already have a mentor and I will look out for camp dates and such. So no rec. leagues huh? Well, my schedule does not look real worked up for now being a first year. So I was thinking about doing some rec. leagues to get my feet wet. My approach will def. be serious as I cannot afford myself the luxury of going through the motions, I don't have any yet. I have heard some people say scrimmages are a good form of practice. I have inquired and found out that scrimmages are NOT allowed in my association and state. Not sure about state, but def. association. I thought that would be a good form of practice but it is banned.

Larks Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:25pm

Quote:

Originally posted by EddieLopez
Daytona that is barely a 3 hr or so drive for me being from Miami. When do you have to sign up for that real early or around May-June?
May or June sounds right. Call JB. He will help out in any way he can. Also, it never hurts to have a connection like JB or any of the other Florida guys you will meet at the camp. There are plenty of assignors that help with camp / come to watch prospective officials. I'm from Ohio and will fly down for this camp again. Trust me....get there.

Here is their website: http://www.db.erau.edu.

Jurassic Referee Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:28am

Quote:

Originally posted by Larks
[/B]
I'm from Ohio and will fly down for this camp again.[/B][/QUOTE]Won't your arms get tired?:confused:

Is that why you're called Larks?:confused:

Isn't Capistrano in California?:confused:

What's 6'22",643#,and lives in a tree?:confused:

"What do you get when you cross a Lark with a pelican?"
"A sore pelican!" :D

Z REF Tue Nov 19, 2002 07:52am

Eddie,

Larks has given you very sound advise, especially for a "young" official. IMO, the soundest reason for avoiding rec ball is the potential partners with which you will work. While some competent officials work this type of ball, many times the folks you run into will be "career" rec officials who rarely read rules, never attend camps, and probably don't attend meetings or rules clinics. The danger in working with this group is that you may tend to learn their habits or seek their advise (due to lack of any other input) and this could place you in a disadvantageous position going forward.

Left with no other choices, it is still better to be on the floor versus sitting on your couch. But you should be able to be selective. Try the local Y, Salvation Army or Catholic leagues. Usually these groups will use certified officials and this provides a great training ground. Men's rec would be my very last choice. Since your schedule is open this year, try to go to a few games and watch the veterans work. This is great training as well. Good luck!

mick Tue Nov 19, 2002 08:02am

Quote:

Originally posted by Andy

I'm going to disagree here. I think new officials should do as many games at any level that they can get. The more games that you do, the better you get as an official. My experience has also been that you will see all the weird and unusual stuff in the rec league games. Once you see it, then you will know how to handle it.

Andy,
I am in agreement with Dan's agreement of your disagreement.
Especially with your last sentence:
<li>"Once you see it, then you will know how to handle it."
mick

ChuckElias Tue Nov 19, 2002 09:03am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Won't your arms get tired?:confused:

Right. But it could be an African swallow. That's my point.

Larks Tue Nov 19, 2002 09:05am

Quote:

Quote:

I'm from Ohio and will fly down for this camp again.[/B]
Won't your arms get tired?:confused:

Is that why you're called Larks?:confused:

What's 6'22",643#,and lives in a tree?:confused:

"What do you get when you cross a Lark with a pelican?"
"A sore pelican!" :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey...JR made a funny! (Actually I did laugh)

Hey...I'm not fat....just big boned! At least that is what my wife tells me....bada bump.

Here's one...A couple who'd been married for over 50 years was sitting on the sofa, when the wife said, "Dear, do you remember how you used to sit close to me?"

He moved over and sat close to her.

"Dear," she continued, "do you remember how you used to hold me tight?"

He reached over and held her tight.

"And," she went on, "do you remember how you used to hug me and kiss me and nibble on my ear?"

With that, her husband got up and started to walk out of the room.

"Where are you going?" she asked.

"Well," answered the husband, "I have to get my teeth."

A Pennsylvania Coach Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:33am

[QUOTE]
Quote:

// Silence Can't Be Quoted \\
Ah, but it can be copyrighted.

http://www.uclick.com/client/rfl/nw/.../27/index.html

<i>Updates to Recent "News of the Weird" Stories
And British composer Mike Batt (who issued, as a song, a minute's worth of absolute silence) caved in, paying off the estate of John Cage (composer of "4'33"" -- 4 minutes, 33 seconds of silence) in a copyright settlement (September). [CNN, 9-23-02]</i>

Jurassic Referee Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:38am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Right. But it could be an African swallow. That's my point.

African swallows return to Capetown every year.