The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Player regains ball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/62295-player-regains-ball.html)

tref Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:04am

Player regains ball

Looking for a rules ref/case play. A1 drives to the basket, B4 strips the ball while A1 is airborne, then A1 catches the ball while still airborne & lands. Official calls travel.
Is the official correct?

Thanks!

umpjong Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:08am

x

BillyMac Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:27am

Violation ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 729224)
Is the official correct?

Did he lose possession due to a touch by an opponent?

tref Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:37am

Exactly...

YooperRef Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:39am

Play On

If the touch by B4 "strips" the ball and A1 has to catch the ball it sounds like there was loss of possession. No call.

APG Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:41am

Do you know someone that called a travel on this play? What was his justification for the call?

tref Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:42am

Some guys have to see it to believe it :rolleyes: Rules ref please?

BillyMac Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:08am

Illegal Dribble ...

A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended,
unless it is after he/she has lost control because of:
ART. 1 A try for field goal.
ART. 2 A touch by an opponent.
ART. 3 A pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by,
another player.

tref Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 729237)
Do you know someone that called a travel on this play? What was his justification for the call?

Play comes from my partners area, C & curls into the lane strong side. All he had was backs & butts when the strip occurred. At halftime I asked him what he saw on the play? Said the player landed with the ball. I told him what really happened & he still thinks he got it right. I don't feel too comfortable breaking down the basics & risk going 2 person for the next half, well half & a ot as it turned out last night. I told him I didn't agree but that's beside the point, the teaching point for us all here is, know the status of p/c when making travel calls. I thought you had backs & butts on the call... Anybody have a caseplay?

BillyMac Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:16am

Ask And You Will Receive (Luke 11:9-10) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 729249)
Anybody have a caseplay?

4.44.3 SITUATION A: A1 jumps to try for goal. B1 also jumps and: (a) slaps the
ball out of A1’s hands;
(b) touches the ball but does not prevent A1 from releasing
the ball; (c) touches the ball and A1 returns to the floor holding the ball; or
(d) touches the ball and A1 drops it to the floor and touches it first after it
bounces. RULING: In (a) and (b), the ball remains live. In (c), a traveling violation.
In (d), a violation for starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor. Since
the touching did not prevent the pass or try in (b), (c) and (d), the ball remains
live and subsequent action is covered by rules which apply to the situation.

SNIPERBBB Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:20am

4.44.3 SITUATION A:

A1 jumps to try for goal. B1 also jumps and: (a) slaps the ball out of A1's hands; (b) touches the ball but does not prevent A1 from releasing the ball; (c) touches the ball and A1 returns to the floor holding the ball; or (d) touches the ball and A1 drops it to the floor and touches it first after it bounces. RULING: In (a) and (b), the ball remains live. In (c), a traveling violation. In (d), a violation for starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor. Since the touching did not prevent the pass or try in (b), (c) and (d), the ball remains live and subsequent action is covered by rules which apply to the situation.

9.5.1 SITUATION:

A1 ends a dribble and then jumps and releases the ball on a try for goal. B1 partially blocks the shot, but A1 secures control again while still in the air. A1 returns to the floor and dribbles to the basket and scores. RULING: Legal maneuver. Both player control and team control ended when A1 released the ball. When A1 recovered he/she could dribble again similar to dribbling after catching a pass or rebound.

jeffpea Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:49pm

"partner, that wasn't a travel. try holding your whistle longer and be 100% certain you saw the entire play correctly before putting air in the whistle. if you're going to tell me that it's a travel EVEN AFTER you know what really happend, then I suggest a spend a little more time studying the rule book and a little less time calling plays you didn't see"....

Raymond Sat Feb 12, 2011 01:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffpea (Post 729293)
"partner, that wasn't a travel. try holding your whistle longer and be 100% certain you saw the entire play correctly before putting air in the whistle. if you're going to tell me that it's a travel EVEN AFTER you know what really happend, then I suggest a spend a little more time studying the rule book and a little less time calling plays you didn't see"....

That's really how you talk to your partners?

The first 2 sentences I would only say to officials I am mentoring. The 3rd one I wouldn't say to anyone.

tref Sat Feb 12, 2011 03:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 729300)
That's really how you talk to your partners?

The first 2 sentences I would only say to officials I am mentoring. The 3rd one I wouldn't say to anyone.

Thanks Billy!!

I agree BNR... especially seeing how he has been calling since I've been in MS.

Gotta know who you're dealing with night to night as we can be quite a sensitive bunch, sometimes. The next day email method has worked well for me...

mbyron Sun Feb 13, 2011 09:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 729238)
Some guys have to see it to believe it :rolleyes: Rules ref please?

The traveling rule (4-44) does not prohibit the player's action in the play described, therefore legal.

The burden of proof is always on whoever claims that an infraction has occurred to prove it with a citation.