The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Late call?

Mens rec ball.

Last night I was lead. Player goes up in the post and is fouled coming down after the shot.

I go to report, partner goes to lead. Player complains that the whistle was late.

Partner says, "Of course it was! We don't blow the whistle until after it happens!"

Rita
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 11:26pm
We don't rent pigs

Better too late than too early, you can't take it back. If a player or coach complains that the whistle was late, it's the same as them saying "Good call."
If they thought the call was wrong, they would say that, not "Late whistle."

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
"Of course it was! We don't blow the whistle until after it happens!"
Great line...gotta remember that one!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
Partner says, "Of course it was! We don't blow the whistle until after it happens!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Great line...gotta remember that one!
Yes, that is a good one! Think I wore out, "late & right beats quick & wrong."
It can also be used when the parents start with, "somebodys gonna get hurt!!"
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Late whistle turns into DOUBLE whistle

Had a similar situation last night in a B MS Play-off game. I am trail with A1 (home) driving from my primary into the lane. I call a late blocking foul on B1 at the same time my partner calls a different foul on B2. A1 makes basket after both fouls driving the lane.

Partner and I get together briefly to confer on what we both had. I reported my foul to the table on B1, no basket, 2 shots (double bonus). Home crowd and coach wanted the basket. But I knew that he was still dribbling when the block happened.

One of those situations that you don't have every day, but glad to know that we both handled it appropriately and quickly.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 04:40am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMac View Post
Had a similar situation last night in a B MS Play-off game. I am trail with A1 (home) driving from my primary into the lane. I call a late blocking foul on B1 at the same time my partner calls a different foul on B2. A1 makes basket after both fouls driving the lane.

Partner and I get together briefly to confer on what we both had. I reported my foul to the table on B1, no basket, 2 shots (double bonus). Home crowd and coach wanted the basket. But I knew that he was still dribbling when the block happened.

One of those situations that you don't have every day, but glad to know that we both handled it appropriately and quickly.
So you guys convened to determine which foul happened first and ignored the other because it wasn't flagrant or intentional. Is that what you're saying?
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
So you guys convened to determine which foul happened first and ignored the other because it wasn't flagrant or intentional. Is that what you're saying?
Exactly.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 10:02am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Question, A1 made a basket, so I'm wondering how much of an advantage was really gained by B1's block?
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 11:14am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Question, A1 made a basket, so I'm wondering how much of an advantage was really gained by B1's block?
What difference would it make if A1 made the basket if A1 was fouled? It would just be a foul in the act of shooting.

I'm not sure what you're you're trying to get at here, Snaqs.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 11:33am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
What difference would it make if A1 made the basket if A1 was fouled? It would just be a foul in the act of shooting.

Just trying to picture the play. You're right, it doesn't make a difference necessarily. He said it's a foul, and I believe him. But we've all had that bump from B1 that A1 plays through and gets a layup.
If, on the other hand, the bump really knocked him off his path and he managed to make the shot anyway, fair enough.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post

If McMac's play is being discussed, they wiped the basket and gave them two shots because the foul (apparently) occurred before the shooting motion began. Some are not a fan of taking away points, seeing that as an indication that he must not have been fouled if he scored anyway.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 12:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If McMac's play is being discussed, they wiped the basket and gave them two shots because the foul (apparently) occurred before the shooting motion began. Some are not a fan of taking away points, seeing that as an indication that he must not have been fouled if he scored anyway.
I would change it to "might not" rather than "must not." If A1 ended up with a layup, I'd be hard pressed to take it away. If A1 took an off-balance fade away jumper due to the bump, that's different.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

It wasn't a major bump, but it was enough of a bump that I felt should have been called. B1, came out from center of lane to try and block off A1's progress. B1 was late and made contact. I called it prior to the shot becoming visible out of the mass of players he went into.

For those who are having an issue picturing it. Player drove down the right side of the lane, got bumped just above the block (had not stopped the dribble at time of foul), cut inward towards basket, second foul (which I did not see) was a hit (and was in the act of shooting), put up a shot and made it.

In hindsight (being 20/20 and all), I probably should have passed on the call or let my partner take his call and ignored my call.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 06:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
It wasn't a major bump, but it was enough of a bump that I felt should have been called.

In hindsight (being 20/20 and all), I probably should have passed on the call or let my partner take his call and ignored my call.
In hindsight, trust your judgment. If you felt that it was enough of a bump to be called, then call it and don't second-guess youself.