The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

I have never called one. If a player gets fouled by more than one person on a drive or shot I just call one foul.

Has anyone ever called a mutiple foul? What were the situations?
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

No, you're probably not going to find anyone that has. Stay away from it. Yes, it's a possibility, which is why it's in the book but there's no reason to call such and bring that kind of attention to yourself.
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 01:42pm
Esteemed Participant

Weren't we gonna collect money to geet Mick to call one and then post the reaction he got?? Seems like I remember something like that...
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 02:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation Do not call this!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by caref
I have never called one. If a player gets fouled by more than one person on a drive or shot I just call one foul.

Has anyone ever called a mutiple foul? What were the situations?
An official once told me, "if you go looking for $h!t, you just might find it." Multiple fouls is what he was talking about. Never call this foul if you want to officiate at that place or with that assignor again. Pick one and move on. It is two hard to explain and the penalty is quite harsh or at least can be, so stay away from this foul at all costs.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Just curious. I would not dare make such a call, but I always find it interesting that it is in the rules and they address it. I can just imagine the reaction one would get if they made such a call in a packed gym in a close game.
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 02:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking Ruuuuuunnnnnnnn!!!!!!!

Quote:
Just curious. I would not dare make such a call, but I always find it interesting that it is in the rules and they address it. I can just imagine the reaction one would get if they made such a call in a packed gym in a close game.
You will learn that in all rulebooks, there are things in there that you will stay away from. This rule is one of them. Of course they address it, but no one I have ever known is going to call it.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Ruuuuuunnnnnnnn!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
You will learn that in all rulebooks, there are things in there that you will stay away from. This rule is one of them. Of course they address it, but no one I have ever known is going to call it.

Peace
It's probalby there because, somewhere, sometime, there was a team or player that was abusing the rules. It should stay there because there will probably be a situation that calls for it someday. I've never called one, and I don't expect that I ever will, but I know it's there should I really need it.

Biggest possiblity that I can think of is teammates simultaneously retaliating against or committing a very hard (intentional/flagrant) foul against an opponent during a live ball. If it is blatant enough that both should be penalized, it would have to be a multiple foul (and likely intentional or flagrant).
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
Not only have I never called a multiple foul, I have difficulty remembering the penalties involved. Everytime I read it in the rule book I fully understand it...then 2 days later I am confused again. This probably happens because it is so rarely called.
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I understand the rule and some of you understand the rule, but coaches and fans don't understand the rule so I don't call it. I did once say that I would in the first game in the first five minutes but in reality I won't because it is to scary to think of how you are going to deal with coaches.
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think that a rule should be ignored because the fans and/or coaches don't understand it. After all, there are many rules not understood by the people in the gym. The multiple foul rule is, I believe, a poorly conceived rule that should probably be removed from the rule book.
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

There is a time and a place for it but most of the time is not the time and place. I may save it for a flagrant situation to use it.
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

I agree. The rule really has no place in the rule book.
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Never-the-less it is there, but be warned, if you call one of these you will also be shooting an additional 4 free throws 'cause a coach is going to go balistic and get tossed!!
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Alright we all don't like the rule but should it leave. No. It is one of those "What do you do if" rules. So here is a ligit case. Both officials have a call on a play. niether official gives up the call. We have one official reporting b1 and the other official reporting b2. Multiple foul, two shots, one for each foul.
Old Fri Nov 08, 2002, 01:06am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
Alright we all don't like the rule but should it leave. No. It is one of those "What do you do if" rules. So here is a ligit case. Both officials have a call on a play. niether official gives up the call. We have one official reporting b1 and the other official reporting b2. Multiple foul, two shots, one for each foul.

All I can say is, one guy or the other REALLY, REALLY needs
to give it up. Closest I have ever come to all this is a coach trying to get a foul off of a better player. "That foul was on 33, not 23!" "Could've been on either one of them, coach, but he's the one I was looking at."