The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 09, 2002, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Looking at 4-24 Art.7... "It is not legal to use the hand and/or forearm to prevent an opponent from attacking the ball during a dribble or when throwing for goal."

I have a hard time trying to interpet what the rule is trying to prevent as long as the forearm is not extended too far past the body or extended to push off a defender.

My wife, the coach, says if I ever called it on one of her players (theoretical, because I would never call one of her games) I had better be prepared to follow up with a "T" on her.

I see it most often at lower levels of play where I just drop the whistle and say "watch the arm".

I don't think I have ever called a foul on anybody for just protecting the ball as long as they didn't push off, but thats not what the rule as written says.

Have any of you ever had a discussion regarding this rule?

Ranjo
Old Sat Nov 09, 2002, 05:04pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by ranjo
Looking at 4-24 Art.7... "It is not legal to use the hand and/or forearm to prevent an opponent from attacking the ball during a dribble or when throwing for goal."

I have a hard time trying to interpet what the rule is trying to prevent as long as the forearm is not extended too far past the body or extended to push off a defender.

My wife, the coach, says if I ever called it on one of her players (theoretical, because I would never call one of her games) I had better be prepared to follow up with a "T" on her.

I see it most often at lower levels of play where I just drop the whistle and say "watch the arm".

I don't think I have ever called a foul on anybody for just protecting the ball as long as they didn't push off, but thats not what the rule as written says.

Have any of you ever had a discussion regarding this rule?

Ranjo
Ranjo,
Think of this act as clearing out, or making space, with contact. If that doesn't work picture a stiff arm or an arm bar on an opponent. Envision a slap or push.
You'll know it when you see it.
mick
Old Sat Nov 09, 2002, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
This rule, and the activity it is intended to curtail, has been a point of emphasis for a number of years. Calling this always comes down to advantage-disadvantage.If a player is using his arm(s) to alter an opponant's path or to try to pick up a slight advantage,it should be called. In fact, this activity occurs far too often at all levels of play. It is VERY common in the NBA and this then filters down to the college and then the HS levels of play. Using the arm is almost always done to obtain that little advantage and I believe that we do not call this foul often enough.

If I were doing your wife's game, I would indeed call this and, in addition, be prepared to issue the "T" if needed. The only solution is for the coaches to teach their players not to do this illegal act.
Old Sun Nov 10, 2002, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
If the dribbler has his off arm straight out in front, with the defender on that side of his body, there is a tremendous advantage gained, which is defined as illegal. Even if his arm is bent, but the elbow is keeping the defender away from the ball, still a huge advantage. I call it a foul at the more experineced levels, but the 6th grade girls I had today, who were playing their first game ever, I just warned and warned and warned.