The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Free Throw Situation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/62055-free-throw-situation.html)

ARef Tue Feb 08, 2011 09:19pm

Free Throw Situation

Player A1 is fouled as is entitled to (A) 2 free throws and (B) a Bonus (1&1) free throw. After the ball is placed at the disposal of the shooter and before he shoots the attempt, A1 swears at opposing player. What is the application?

mbyron Tue Feb 08, 2011 09:21pm

NFHS: shoot the free throws for the foul, then administer the technical.

NCAA: I believe you administer the technical first, then return to the POI.

McMac Tue Feb 08, 2011 09:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARef (Post 727924)
Player A1 is fouled as is entitled to (A) 2 free throws and (B) a Bonus (1&1) free throw. After the ball is placed at the disposal of the shooter and before he shoots the attempt, A1 swears at opposing player. What is the application?

Shoot in the order they happen. Foul first, T second.

A) A1 shoots 2 free throws, lane cleared. Any eligible member of B shoots 2 free throws, B gets ball half court.

B) A1 shoots bonus per rules, lane cleared. Any eligible member of B shoots 2 free throws, B gets ball half court.

jTheUmp Tue Feb 08, 2011 09:24pm

Technical foul on A1.

Penalties are administered in order of occurrence.

A1 shoots 1 (or 2) free throws with the lane cleared.

Any B player then shoots 2 free throws for the Technical foul, with the lane cleared.

Throw-in for B at midcourt, opposite table.

ARef Thu Feb 10, 2011 02:17am

Here is my issue with applying in the order in which the fouls occurred. Rule 4-20, art 2: The free throw begins when the ball is at the disposal of the free thrower, and art 3: ends when ... the ball becomes dead. My reading of this is the free throw ends in this situation when I blow the T. Am I wrong?

just another ref Thu Feb 10, 2011 02:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARef (Post 728494)
Here is my issue with applying in the order in which the fouls occurred. Rule 4-20, art 2: The free throw begins when the ball is at the disposal of the free thrower, and art 3: ends when ... the ball becomes dead. My reading of this is the free throw ends in this situation when I blow the T. Am I wrong?

The whistle would stop the play. A1 would then shoot his free throw(s) with the lane empty, followed by administration of the T.

shutupneff Thu Feb 10, 2011 02:50am

What if it was A1's second technical? Does coach A get to choose a player off the bench to enter the game and shoot teap A's freethrow(s)?

Camron Rust Thu Feb 10, 2011 02:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shutupneff (Post 728499)
What if it was A1's second technical? Does coach A get to choose a player off the bench to enter the game and shoot teap A's freethrow(s)?

Yep. A DQ'd player must leave immediately. When a player that is due FTs is not able to continue for any reason, their sub will shoot the FTs.

Camron Rust Thu Feb 10, 2011 02:56am

Quote:

The FT might end, but until it is taken or lost through a violation (not a foul), it remains due.

ARef Thu Feb 10, 2011 02:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 728502)
The FT might end, but until it is taken or lost through a violation (not a foul), it remains due.

Do you have a caseplay for this?

APG Thu Feb 10, 2011 04:07am

Quote:

The free throw might have ended but Team A is still entitled to two shots. The only way they would lose one of those attempts is by committing a free throw violation or having a try miss.

Camron Rust Thu Feb 10, 2011 05:16am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARef (Post 728503)
Do you have a caseplay for this?

Case 8.6.2 (2009-10 book) should do it. The first foul is a T with the second foul (flagrant in the case play, but irrelevant to the play at hand) occuring after the shooter has the ball. The ruling mentions taking the FTs for the T and then the FTs for the second foul.

Would you take away a FT if the team called a timeout after the shooter had the ball?

mbyron Thu Feb 10, 2011 08:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 728507)
The free throw might of ended but Team A is still entitled to two shots.

APG, imo you're better than this. C'mon man!

APG Thu Feb 10, 2011 09:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 728543)

:o

Jurassic Referee Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 728543)

Maybe he just does it to piss you off. That's a worthy cause.