The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   A little comedic relief (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/62032-little-comedic-relief.html)

Beemer Tue Feb 08, 2011 04:02pm

A little comedic relief

Last night, I was working a Boys JV game when, on the first of two free throws, the shooter used his unbelievable touch to get the ball stuck on the back of the rim.

We blew it and gave him his second shot. I'm sure it comes to your surprise that the shooters team wanted another free throw, or the basket to count. I don't think so Tim.

Anybody else have this happen to them (or even a ball getting stuck on the top of the backboard)?

Freddy Tue Feb 08, 2011 04:10pm

Non Sequitur?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beemer (Post 727814)
Last night, I was working a Boys JV game when, on the first of two free throws, the shooter used his unbelievable touch to get the ball stuck on the back of the rim.

We blew it and gave him his second shot. I'm sure it comes to your surprise that the shooters team wanted another free throw, or the basket to count. I don't think so Tim.

Anybody else have this happen to them (or even a ball getting stuck on the top of the backboard)?

I know it's getting towards the end of the work day, but am I missing something here? :confused:

I did see this once last year. Odds must be extreme.

Beemer Tue Feb 08, 2011 04:15pm

Ok I'll try

Here's the situation:
-First of two free throws.
-Shot goes up and gets stuck on the back of the rim (on the part that connects the ring to the backboard).
-We blow the shot dead when it stopped moving, counting the shot as a miss.
-We awarded the shooter his second shot.

The shooters team wanted us to give them another shot (so three in total), or count the first shot as a make (never went through the rim).

Freddy Tue Feb 08, 2011 04:31pm

Oh, Okay

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beemer (Post 727826)
Here's the situation:
-First of two free throws.
-Shot goes up and gets stuck on the back of the rim (on the part that connects the ring to the backboard).
-We blow the shot dead when it stopped moving, counting the shot as a miss.
-We awarded the shooter his second shot.

The shooters team wanted us to give them another shot (so three in total), or count the first shot as a make (never went through the rim).

I get it. I was thrown off by your phrase, "We blew it and gave him his second shot." I didn't mean to be a plumber/classical linguist about it.

26 Year Gap Tue Feb 08, 2011 04:52pm

I have had a lot of putts come to rest on the edge of the cup. I get an extra stroke, but that isn't what I wanted. In this case, it is like a missed putt as far as scoring is concerned. But the shooter cannot "Re-Putt".

grunewar Tue Feb 08, 2011 04:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 727858)
But the shooter cannot "Re-Putt".

Can he buy a mulligan? :D

26 Year Gap Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 727867)
Can he buy a mulligan? :D

Only if the other team fouls him again.

jTheUmp Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:49pm

Never happened to me when I'm officiating, but it did happen to my schools BV team back in my high school days.

I don't remember how they got the ball down, because none of the players on either team could jump high enough to touch it. Probably ended up using a practice ball to knock it off its perch.

Scrapper1 Wed Feb 09, 2011 09:16am

Just ask if anybody can get it down. When they do, it's basket interference. Administer the next free throw. :)

Adam Wed Feb 09, 2011 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 728067)
Just ask if anybody can get it down. When they do, it's basket interference. Administer the next free throw. :)

Only if the defense does it. If the offense does it, it'll be a lane violation first.

Scrapper1 Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 728073)
Only if the defense does it. If the offense does it, it'll be a lane violation first.

Not if it's already sitting on the rim, right? :confused:

Adam Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 728082)
Not if it's already sitting on the rim, right? :confused:

Crap, it's early. You're right.

Beemer Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:16pm

Yeah, that's the first thing that came to my mind too, until my parter reminded me that it can't be a lane violation.

RookieDude Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:46pm

Beemer...your real name wouldn't happen to be Ralph, and you are a little farther South in WA...because this EXACT thing happened to his crew last week.:)

Beemer Wed Feb 09, 2011 01:21pm

Are you saying they called a violation?

BTW Dan, I was reading through another post in which you said a varsity coach had been removed from the freshman game and then allowed to coach the varsity game. Any chance that happed at RHS?