The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 07, 2011, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

How big is too big?

Recently worked a JV game and I never worked with this other official before, had a good pre-game meeting and he seemed to know the rules. His one concern was not switching on every call, I'm thinking because of his weight which was in the 275-280 range. During the game his pants are riding well below his waist line in the back kinda like the kid's wear them now a days. He's also making calls as the new lead from half court on fast breaks. I feel you need to be in the right position to make the right call, not from 40 feet away. How you want to live and look your life is up to you, but my feelings are you gotta "Look the part". By the way fans in the stands where giving him some "Love" too if you know what I mean.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2011, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Size should not matter if he can keep up with the game; however, sounds like this guy might not be able to. Here, appearance is a big deal. An official dressed like that here would probably get nothing more than ES games and probably few of those.

The call making, etc can get better with experience. His appearance is up to him
Old Mon Feb 07, 2011, 11:27am
TODO: creative title here

[yoda] Size matters not. [/yoda]

I'm a pretty big guy in my own right (6'4", 265ish), but I can get up and down the court pretty dang well if I do say so myself.

I do tend to "camp" a bit too much as the trail official, but that's a habit I've carried over from football (where you're conditioned to stay in your spot and let the play develop) that I'm trying to break.

Uniform fit, of course, is another matter, but it's only marginally related to weight.