The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 09, 2000, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to logan21
Question

I just started, and just ref town stuff, I would like to know this. Player A is gets a rebound and brings it down the court. He goes for a dunk and knocks down 2 defensive players. What is that anyway?
Old Sun Apr 09, 2000, 02:33pm
certified Hot Mom tester

quote:
Originally posted by logan21:
I just started, and just ref town stuff, I would like to know this. Player A is gets a rebound and brings it down the court. He goes for a dunk and knocks down 2 defensive players. What is that anyway?

It's called a "made basket" and his team is awarded two points!

Seriously though, if neither defensive player had established and maintained legal guarding position, it's either a no call or a block, depending on the severity of contact. If either defensive player had done what I mentioned above, and you felt there was enough contact to call a foul, it would be an offensive player control foul on A1, no basket, no free throws shot, and team B gets the ball OOB at the spot closest to the point of the foul.

Even though you just ref "town ball", I would suggest getting a rule book and case book from the NF and studying them. You don't want to be making calls based on what you see on "The NBA on NBC."

Old Sun Apr 09, 2000, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

the closer the off. player with ball gets to the def. player, focus your attention on the def player. look for legal guarding position. However, as the earlier post said get the rule book and case book. Concerning your play, if you have a guy able to dunk, then i would have to guess the defenders where under the basket and i have a no call. assuming the def. players were not set when the off. player was at at half court.
Old Mon Apr 10, 2000, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

You call a player control foul and do not count the basket. He was out of control, and its a charge!!!!!
Old Mon Apr 10, 2000, 05:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

quote:
Originally posted by CLAY:
You call a player control foul and do not count the basket. He was out of control, and its a charge!!!!!

Over the years, I have heard players claim that another player was "out of control". Could you please define what that means in terms of the contact section of the NF rulebook and explain what bearing that term has on calling fouls. Thank you.

Old Mon Apr 10, 2000, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Right on Brian,
I hate these cliches and we only perpetuate them by answering coaches by giving other cliches instead of simply stating the rule and leaving it at that.
The NBA protects the shooter but no high school player, not even Keven Garnett who I officiated in an AAU tournament here in Las Vegas deserves special attention. If they are as good as their press releases say, then they can adjust to the officials and the players around them.
Old Mon Apr 10, 2000, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Logan21: May I also suggest the NF Simplified & Illustrated version of the rule book...it can also be a great reference source (for those of us who need cartoons)!