The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

I've seen it all

I am waiting on my V games to start and watching the end of the JVB game. I am standing on the corner of the endline, the gym is packed and loud. Team B is down 2 points with the ball. They hit a "3" with 12 seconds left to take a one point lead. Team A is bringing the ball up court, and when A2 gets the ball to midcourt, Coach A is frantically trying to call a TO. Neither partner is cognizant of this, and are too intent on watching only the game. Coach A, in an effort to get the attention of the Lead official 15 feet away, rushes down the sideline to the endline where the L is stationed. He is screaming for a TO.
You guessed it....**WHACK**. The rest is history. Team B makes both free throws and wins the game.

Let this be a lesson to younger officials. Always expect a time out to be requested in these situations. The only reason that coach A was on the court was to request a time out because the officials were too tunnel-visioned to recognize the initial request. Don't penalize a coach merely for being on the court. If he is coaching his kids and not in the way, let him do that. This was a travesty and a rare occasion where the officials determined the outcome of the game. Yes, I did talk to the JV crew about this, and hopefully they never make a similar mistake.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 02:34am
We don't rent pigs

It also should be a lesson to the coach. He has 5 players on the court who should also be aware, and should see his request and relay it to the official. Many players now seem to not be aware that they, too, may make the timeout request.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 03:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
It also should be a lesson to the coach. He has 5 players on the court who should also be aware, and should see his request and relay it to the official. Many players now seem to not be aware that they, too, may make the timeout request.
Why should the coach depend on getting a player's attention in order to get the time out when he is supposed to have the right to request one directly? It can't hurt to get the players to do that but their first priority is actually playing the game, not relaying messages between the coach and the officials when the officials are not paying attention., For such a situation to end in a T is not right. By the book, yes, but going by the book would have also led to a timeout before it got to that point.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 03:21am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Why should the coach depend on getting a player's attention in order to get the time out when he is supposed to have the right to request one directly? It can't hurt to get the players to do that but their first priority is actually playing the game, not relaying messages between the coach and the officials when the officials are not paying attention., For such a situation to end in a T is not right. By the book, yes, but going by the book would have also led to a timeout before it got to that point.
I'm against the T here also. The officials should have gotten it, I agree, but they didn't. Their first priority is also the playing of the game, not the coach. For these reasons, the players should also be aware of the situation, and be quick to pick up and help the request be heard.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 03:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I'm against the T here also. The officials should have gotten it, I agree, but they didn't. Their first priority is also the playing of the game, not the coach. For these reasons, the players should also be aware of the situation, and be quick to pick up and help the request be heard.
I saw a similar situation last night in the BV that I was watching. Coach ran down almost to the endline screaming time out. Reff granted the time out. Other coach was screaming for a technical since he was way out of his box. No T was given and rightfully so. Friend sitting next to me asked what I would do and I said exactly what was done. This is good game management in my opinion. When a close game gets down to the last minute or so, I go around to my partners and remind them to watch the coaches requesting time out.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
So long as the rule book is reads the way it does, the HEAD COACH has the RIGHT to request a time out. As time goes by, fewer and fewer PLAYERS ever call time out. It is incumbent upon the officials to be AWARE of the situation.

I do NOT mean to imply that all three or both officials should be fixated on the coaches' boxes during the game, BUT, game situations should cause one of the officials (typically NOT the official with the ball in his primary) to glance at the attacking team bench during these situations.

A glance (by ONE of the officials) takes under a tenth of a second. Failing to do so can ruin an otherwise great game.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 07:07am
This IS My Social Life

Back in the Day -- a Juraissic Moment

Agree heartily that officials must be situationally aware of those likely occasions of timeout requests. that's a right afforded under the constitution.
This did, however, bring back memories of the good old days when our coaches taught us those crucial situations in which we, as players on the floor, should actually--get this--request a timeout ourselves. And we did from time to time.
I know, I know. That's about as rare today as a kid getting up out of his chair and walking across the room to change the television channel dial and adjust the tinfoil on the rabbit ears.
I guess Chris Webber didn't help the cause any, either.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

I can't believe one of the officials didn't glance over in anticipation of a TO being requested. We can't read coach's mind but if we are officiating ball we should have some knowledge of ball strategy - which with 12 seconds to go and down by a basket you can bet the coach is going to call a TO so be expecting it

No way in the world would I give a T in the scenario
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 02:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Officials do not have to be aware of anything with a coach during active play. It is the team's responsibility only to worry about getting the official's attention. If they cannot do that, shame on them. I am not looking at any coach for a timeout request and never will. I only care about what is taking place on the court. If I hear and see a request I will grant it. Too much is going on that I will miss if I pay that close attention to a coach. Coaches need to train their players to repeat or respond to their requests. It is funny that when a player gets in some kind of trouble they request timeouts, so why are coaches not teaching their players to respond to them yelling something. Half the time I cannot hear a coach if the crowd is really big. Sorry, this is all on the teams, the officials can only respond to what they know. And if they are focused on the court, they are not going to always know who is asking for a timeout.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Well I disagree. While my focus is on the floor it takes one quick glance to the bench. I don't do it except near the end of a close game. It does not take my attention off the game
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

I'll have to disagree with you there JRut. Yes it's the team's job to get our attention, but we have to have good game awareness to know when a timeout is going to be granted. An off official, especially opposite table should be able to glance away for a beat to catch the coach's request.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 02:45pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Like it was said earlier, it takes about a tenth of a second to glance over to the coach and see what he/she might be requesting. Also, smart officials should know when a timeout might be requested... whether it be a scoring run by the other team, after a made basket late in a close game, or a trap in the corner, etc. A good official should know the situation that the game is in, and be ready to respond to a coach's request for a TO.

I will continue to glance over at a coach while there is a live ball. It makes for a smoother game when the coach decides to request a TO.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Sorry, this is all on the teams, the officials can only respond to what they know. And if they are focused on the court, they are not going to always know who is asking for a timeout.
Precisely. It is not our job to help coach the team, our responsibility is on the floor.

If it's a timeout situation, every one of the coach's players should have known it. There have been games that devolved into controversy when an assistant requested the TO and it was granted.

Let me ask this, though. What do you do when a coach says "I want a timeout if it's a make" prior to a free-throw? Do you wait to hear it, listen for it, or treat it as having been requested.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 02:50pm
This IS My Social Life

"May I Take Your Order Please?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
What do you do when a coach says "I want a timeout if it's a make" prior to a free-throw?
"You bet, coach. When I glance over and see you request it, I'll give it."
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
Well I disagree. While my focus is on the floor it takes one quick glance to the bench. I don't do it except near the end of a close game. It does not take my attention off the game
+1 and I'm listening extra sharply at this point to hear for the squall of "time out"