The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 06, 2000, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Ball is hit out of bounds. Ref tells player to hold his spot. Upon inbounding the ball player takes steps to inbound ball. Is this traveling?
Old Thu Apr 06, 2000, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Travel rules do not apply to a spot throw in. A player can move all he wants within a 3 ft wide area and all the way back to the wall. He cannot touch in bounds before releasing the throw in. This was a Point of Emphesis last year.
Old Thu Apr 06, 2000, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Tim,
Are you sure about that. Every game I did this year on a throw in (except after a basket/foul shot), I or the other ref (when needed) told the inbounder to hold his/her spot. I also saw it called at least twice in the NCAA Tourney (NC violated in there last game).
Old Thu Apr 06, 2000, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Three foot is the rule C. I think three feet gives them about one good step either direction (depending on their size) after the spot is established. Any more than that and I feel it is over 3 ft. and a violation. I think this is the most misunderstood rule for fans and coaches after 3 seconds and backcourt.
Old Thu Apr 06, 2000, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DrC.:
I also saw it called at least twice in the NCAA Tourney (NC violated in there last game).

On the call that you saw with NC, Peppers ran the baseline after a traveling violation on FL. He left the designated spot by a good 15 feet. I don't have my rule book handy, but I seem to recall that the rule on a designated spot throw in is that at least one foot must remain over the spot.

Old Thu Apr 06, 2000, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

NF Rules Rule 4, Section 41, Article 6 "The designated throw-in spot is 3 feet wide with no depth limitations and is established by the official prior to putting the ball at the thrower's disposal. Note: The thrower must keep one foot on or over the spot until the ball is released. Pivot foot restrictions and the traveling rule are not in effect for a throw-in."

College Rules Rule 7, Section 6 " ...Until the passed ball has crossed the plane of the boundary (1) the thrower shall not leave the designated throw-in spot (i.e. the thrower-in must have at least one foot on or over the three foot designated spot when moving laterally). The thrower-in may jump vertically during the throw in or move forward without stepping onto the court or move directly back from the boundary line as far as the player desires..."
Old Thu Apr 06, 2000, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Don't forget, the illegal movement is NOT travelling! It is a throw-in violation.
Old Fri Apr 07, 2000, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

I THANK YOU ALL FOR CLEARING THAT UP!!! AND I am glad that I didn't have that call once this year!
Old Fri Apr 07, 2000, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

How did this ever get classified as a travel? Was that the call years ago, or did some official not know what siganl to use?
Old Fri Apr 07, 2000, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guy's for all of the info.
Old Sat Apr 08, 2000, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson:

How did this ever get classified as a travel? Was that the call years ago, or did some official not know what signal to use?

It was never a travel call to my knowledge. I suspect it is simply the "default" call for many officials, because it looks like a travel that occurs on the court. In some folks' minds, since the player "can't move" from his spot, it MUST be a travel if he does move. I cringe when I see veteran officials signal travelling for this one, but it continues to happen.

[This message has been edited by Todd VandenAkker (edited April 08, 2000).]
Old Sat Apr 08, 2000, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Todd VandenAkker:
I cringe when I see veteran officials signal travelling for this one, but it continues to happen.

[This message has been edited by Todd VandenAkker (edited April 08, 2000).]

There was a throw-in violation of this type during the men's NCAA Final Four. I didn't have the best view (the backboard was in the way on the TV), but I thought I saw the official give the travel signal.

Can anyone shed light on this?
Old Mon Apr 10, 2000, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

poor mechanics.