The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Bam!

2q Girls varsity, I am trail when B1 steals the ball and a fast break ensues. I become the lead.

I break wide watching the ball all the way to the BAM!

Collision. I hit something/someone, I am going full speed to the baseline about 15 feet from the line BAM. It was like a wall, I am 6'2" about 236. Some kid comes out of the stands onto the floor...he was smoking something or drinking, I hit him ( never saw him as I was completely on the play ) He went flying, I hit the floor, he literally went about 20 feet into the wall. ( not up, just to the wall. )

Never have I ever hit anyone or anything on the floor, I thought I hit a player or the coach.....wow, what an experience...everything was fine, I was not the worse for the wear, can't say the same for the kid ( about 18 to 20 years old....)

Partner saw it developing, by the time he saw the kid, it was too late....good times....
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, glad you didn't get injured.

I had a similar collision with a coach years ago, and served him Tea while I was still sitting on the floor. He laughed as he drank it up. No one was hurt and everyone got a good laugh. 2 shots and the ball later, we were back to business.

Never did find out why he was on the floor, partner told me it looked like he was demonstrating something to his bench with his back to the court. Like you said neither ever saw it coming, BAM!
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a blocking foul as he did not give the proper time and distance...in this case, sounded like he needed to give you the max 2 steps.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Glad you are okay. I hope you had him removed from the gym.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
Glad you are okay. I hope you had him removed from the gym.
Sounds like he was half way out the door by the time he stoppes slidin. lol I usually have game addminisration do that 4 me, but I might try that.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

We did have him removed....The school is a wonderful school.

It's Petersburg W.V. if you referee there, after the game they bring you a chili don and a bag of good pop corn. The fans NEVER complain, The coaches rarely complain and when they do, it's respectful, the players are very polite.

It's hard to believe in this day and age, but it's true.

It's a shame it's an hour and 15 minutes each way.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 08:07am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
C'mon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
The fans NEVER complain, The coaches rarely complain and when they do, it's respectful, the players are very polite.
Have you been in Mark's medicine cabinet?
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
We did have him removed....The school is a wonderful school.

It's Petersburg W.V. if you referee there, after the game they bring you a chili don and a bag of good pop corn. The fans NEVER complain, The coaches rarely complain and when they do, it's respectful, the players are very polite.

It's hard to believe in this day and age, but it's true.

It's a shame it's an hour and 15 minutes each way.
Time certainly does change things. Back in the late 80's, my mentor and I were contracted to do a Christmas tourney at that school. About a 4-hour drive for us. I had the flu, temp of 103. We worked the game, home school loses by a bunch. Home Coach follows us to the locker room, screaming and ranting about how "pathetic" we were. The display was so over the top that my partner informed the school they would need to replace us for the remainder of the tournament. I have never seen anything quite like that, before or since.

Glad to hear things have changed.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 12:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Collisions ...

Once, almost thirty years ago, in a mens insurance league (Hartford, CT, is the Insurance Capital of the World) game, that was poorly attended, a few wives, and girlfriends, only one bank of bleachers was extended on the side of the gym opposite the table, so lots of room on that sideline, except for about ten feet where the bleachers were sticking out to within a few feet of the court, near the division line. I'm old trail, becoming new lead, in a fast break situation, I turn to run, while looking over my shoulder, and sure enough run right into the extended bleachers. I still have a scar on my shin.

Also, similar play, but after a made basket, I ran into a cheerleader doing her, "Yah, Rah, Rah, Johnny", routine along the sideline in a tight gym. She went about fifteen feet. I didn't feel much, she was one of them skinny cheerleaders.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 05, 2011 at 12:19pm.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2011, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFussRef View Post
Wow, glad you didn't get injured.

I had a similar collision with a coach years ago, and served him Tea while I was still sitting on the floor. He laughed as he drank it up. No one was hurt and everyone got a good laugh. 2 shots and the ball later, we were back to business.

Never did find out why he was on the floor, partner told me it looked like he was demonstrating something to his bench with his back to the court. Like you said neither ever saw it coming, BAM!
MMMMmmmm Tea.