The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 04, 2002, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

This happened during a game last week.

I called a foul on B23. As I`m reporting foul, player loses control and starts swearing. My partner T`s her up. My foul was the players 5th. I hadn`t had time to inform the coach yet that 23 had 5 fouls and was disqualified before my partner assessed the Tech.

Who gets the Tech in the book? Player or Coach?
Old Mon Nov 04, 2002, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Ren,

In any situation similar to yours, the T will always be charged to the player. The real question is whether the T also gets charged indirectly to the coach. If the coach has not been informed that the player is disqualified, then the player is not yet considered bench personel. Therefore, in your case, the T would not be charged indirectly to the coach.

Chuck
Old Tue Nov 05, 2002, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

bench personnel

Chuck,
I agree 100% with your clear, concise, well-written explanation. However, I must caution against using the bench personnel reasoning to always tell you when the T is also charged indirectly to the head coach. One exception and one of my pet peeves for years has been that a substitute who either fails to properly report to the scorer or fails to wait for the official to beckon him onto the court is charged with the T, and is still considered bench personnel, but according to the chart on page 72 of the Rule Book the coach is not charged with anything.
For consistency, I believe this should be changed and he should receive an indirect T.
However, I know of no other instance where your rule of thumb would fail and think it is a great way to remember when the coach gets an indirect.
Old Tue Nov 05, 2002, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Nevada, in my defense, I never said that all bench T's are charged indirectly to the head coach. I only said that since, in this case, the player was not yet bench personnel, the T would not be charged to the head coach. Ok, that's a pretty lame distinction, but it's true. If, however, you'd asked me point-blank "Do all bench T's get charged indirectly to the head coach?", I would have answered in the affirmative.

Interestingly, tho, the fouls and penalty for subs coming on the court without being beckoned or without checking in are not listed as "Bench Technicals". Did you notice that? Both in Rule 10 and also in the chart of penalties, substitutes are listed separately from "bench personnel".

This is the kind of distinction that is essential for a good official to understand and implement into his game. Unfortunately, I have no idea what it means.

Chuck