The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

True or False.

A1 jumps to try a field goal or to pass the ball. B1 reaches and is able to put his/her hand(s) on the ball to keep A1 from releasing it. A1 returns to the floor with the ball. This is the only information that I have that I can give. Is this traveling?

I say False or No. To me is seems like a jump ball situation, but as I keep reading the questions, it could be a travel call also. One of those sits you just have to see but I only the information that is given to me.

Thanks
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Rule 4-25-2

When the release of the airborne players try or pass is prevented by an opponent, it is a held ball.

Z
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Donj

Don't rely on the rulebook all the time in this situation. Think about the game situation! Time, score, period, and so on. Maybe a jump ball would fit, maybe your better calling a travel. What fits the game at that point in time!
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by iref21
Donj

Don't rely on the rulebook all the time in this situation. Think about the game situation! Time, score, period, and so on. Maybe a jump ball would fit, maybe your better calling a travel. What fits the game at that point in time!
Not to sound too condescending, but I hope you're being sarcastic here! Don't rely on the rulebook? Then why have them at all? Maybe a jump ball, maybe not? What fits the game according to whom?

What fits the game at any time is to apply the rules. Period. The rulebook defines this as a jump ball, and there's no judgment involved. Period. When the rules allow for judgment, you still only judge what happened, not what the rule is. Donj is properly trying to learn the rules, which is a difficult and time-consuming process. Let's help him do it right, not discourage him from even trying.
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Well put Rainmaker.....I'm going with Held ball, arrow gets the pill.

Larks
VIT
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by iref21

Not quite sure I get your meaning here. What game sitch would cause you to go with a travel instead of a held ball in this clear play?

Quote:

What fits the game at any time is to apply the rules. Period.
Uh-oh. I see we're going to be discussing "when do you ignore a travel" and the merits of multiple fouls soon.
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

It's a held ball all the way. Had this play last night. Defensive coach wanted travelling, but he quickly realized we knew the rule and was satisfied with the held ball.
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

It is a "held ball" if B1 places a hand on the ball and prevents airborne A1 from releasing the ball before returning to the floor.. It is a "travel" if B1 "touches" the ball but does not prevent airborne A1 from releasing the ball and A1 returns to the floor in conttrol OR is the first to touch the ball after returning to the floor. Remember the play last year in The Final Four when the ref blew the whistle for a held ball then A1 released it on a try--don't be in too big a rush to blow the whistle. Wait till you see what A1 does with the ball.