The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Traveling Call? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/6178-traveling-call.html)

donj Wed Nov 06, 2002 12:24am

True or False.

A1 jumps to try a field goal or to pass the ball. B1 reaches and is able to put his/her hand(s) on the ball to keep A1 from releasing it. A1 returns to the floor with the ball. This is the only information that I have that I can give. Is this traveling?

I say False or No. To me is seems like a jump ball situation, but as I keep reading the questions, it could be a travel call also. One of those sits you just have to see but I only the information that is given to me.

Thanks

zebraman Wed Nov 06, 2002 12:30am

Rule 4-25-2

When the release of the airborne players try or pass is prevented by an opponent, it is a held ball.

Z

iref21 Wed Nov 06, 2002 01:55pm

Donj

Don't rely on the rulebook all the time in this situation. Think about the game situation! Time, score, period, and so on. Maybe a jump ball would fit, maybe your better calling a travel. What fits the game at that point in time!

rainmaker Wed Nov 06, 2002 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally posted by iref21
Donj

Don't rely on the rulebook all the time in this situation. Think about the game situation! Time, score, period, and so on. Maybe a jump ball would fit, maybe your better calling a travel. What fits the game at that point in time!

Not to sound too condescending, but I hope you're being sarcastic here! Don't rely on the rulebook? Then why have them at all? Maybe a jump ball, maybe not? What fits the game according to whom?

What fits the game at any time is to apply the rules. Period. The rulebook defines this as a jump ball, and there's no judgment involved. Period. When the rules allow for judgment, you still only judge what happened, not what the rule is. Donj is properly trying to learn the rules, which is a difficult and time-consuming process. Let's help him do it right, not discourage him from even trying.

Larks Wed Nov 06, 2002 04:00pm

Well put Rainmaker.....I'm going with Held ball, arrow gets the pill.

Larks
VIT

Dan_ref Wed Nov 06, 2002 04:10pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Originally posted by iref21

Not quite sure I get your meaning here. What game sitch would cause you to go with a travel instead of a held ball in this clear play?

Quote:

What fits the game at any time is to apply the rules. Period.

Uh-oh. I see we're going to be discussing "when do you ignore a travel" and the merits of multiple fouls soon. ;)

stan-MI Wed Nov 06, 2002 04:19pm

It's a held ball all the way. Had this play last night. Defensive coach wanted travelling, but he quickly realized we knew the rule and was satisfied with the held ball.

APHP Wed Nov 06, 2002 06:12pm

It is a "held ball" if B1 places a hand on the ball and prevents airborne A1 from releasing the ball before returning to the floor.. It is a "travel" if B1 "touches" the ball but does not prevent airborne A1 from releasing the ball and A1 returns to the floor in conttrol OR is the first to touch the ball after returning to the floor. Remember the play last year in The Final Four when the ref blew the whistle for a held ball then A1 released it on a try--don't be in too big a rush to blow the whistle. Wait till you see what A1 does with the ball.