The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 02, 2002, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Another NF question....HOw many 2-man refs do we have here that come strong side in two man? I know in 3 man you are supposed to but I have heard differing opinions on 2 man.

Larks
VIT
Old Sat Nov 02, 2002, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I do.
Old Sat Nov 02, 2002, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

I do as well. I tell my partner in our pre-game that I will be moving over but will move back at change of possession or as action dictates. That way he/she can cheat to the middle while we are on the same side but they won't try to move across and risk getting in the way of a fast-break if there is a turnover.
Old Sat Nov 02, 2002, 07:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

I don't..........

and never have. I was never taught that way and the times I usually do 2 man is so far in between each other, I just have never felt confrontable doing that. But usually this is not much of a problem. Other than the summer I really do not do much 2 man.

Peace
Old Sat Nov 02, 2002, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

I do

The only way to adequately cover play is for the lead to go strong side
Old Sun Nov 03, 2002, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I do and I don't. I was taught to do it in Colorado. In Texas, I have been taught not to. If I am working with a partner who is comfortible with the mechanic then I do it. If I work with a partner who isn't then I won't. After working three man games, I am more comfortible with going strong side.

When I call a game where we are not going strong side, then the leads floor ends at the oposite free throw lane line. This means, I am expecting the trail to pick up any action away from the lead on the baseline.
Old Sun Nov 03, 2002, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Some games I do and some games I don't. If a team has a player that spends a lot of time posting up on the low block, I may cross a few times during the game to get a better angle on the post action. If a team is more perimeter oriented or just "flashes" to a post-up spot occasionally and then moves out right away when they don't get the ball, I may never cross the whole game.

Z
Old Sun Nov 03, 2002, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

I am doing my first game of the season(second year) this afternoon and this was one of the major things I was going to bring up at our pre-game.

In our association, they want us to go strong side, but not everyone seems to do it. It's one thing that I want to clear in pre-games this year. Obviously, both officials have to be on the same page on this.

I am curious as to how far do you go to the strong side? I have been taught to go as far as the edge of the restricted area on the strong side (Box 6). And similarly to the comment by Larry S, our trail would never switch in that situation. The lead would go back to his normal position when the situation dictated it.

Jay

Old Sun Nov 03, 2002, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
I am curious as to how far do you go to the strong side? I have been taught to go as far as the edge of the restricted area on the strong side (Box 6).
Jay, by "restricted area" I'm assuming you mean the three-second lane? I can't find what you're referring to by "Box 6", but if you look in the 2001-2003 NFHS Basketball Officials Manual, on page 25 there is a diagram. It's labeled Diagram 10 and it shows the proper positioning for when the Lead official moves ballside. They want you to go almost halfway between the lane line and the 3-point line. That way you look back into the paint (just like you would from your "normal" position). Don't stop when you get to the far lane line. Keep going.

If you were talking about the "restricted area" in the NBA-sense, then disregard everything I've just said, b/c I don't know anything about NBA 2-man mechanics.

Chuck
Old Sun Nov 03, 2002, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck,

We use FIBA rules. Thus the term "Restricted Area". Yes I do mean the three-second lane. Plus in the two-man FIBA mechanics, the front court is divided into six boxes. I was asuming American officials use those six boxes as well. Know what happens when we ASSume.

Jay

[Edited by Jay R on Nov 3rd, 2002 at 02:43 PM]
Old Sun Nov 03, 2002, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Oh, ok Jay. I gotcha now. In that case, you can forget about everything I said b/c I don't know anything about FIBA 2-man mechanics either!!! LOL

chuck
Old Sun Nov 03, 2002, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I go to ball side aggresively in 2 man, particularly if
there's a good match up in the low post. I pregame this
because the T's focus changes when the L goes ball side
in 2 man.
Old Mon Nov 04, 2002, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
After watching FIBA two man on TV during the olympics and other international compititions. Yes, the mechanic is very similar to what we use in America. When I went to camp, they taught us only three positions. Wide, Closedown, and strong side. The one place to stand strong side is where you would close down to when you were on the other side.
Old Mon Nov 04, 2002, 07:40am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

I, also, go to strong-side in two-man.
There's no reason for my partner to be alone on a side with 8 players. I'm there to help.
Old Mon Nov 04, 2002, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Please help me out here!

Covering the right areas and positioning is something I need to work on. In 2-man, will you switch over to strong-side regardless of whether you are L or T? If I were T, I'd be nervous about getting in the way.

I don't recall having had this discussion on here before, and I'd just like to hear more about how you make the decision to move and how you handle getting switched back, etc...

Tx.