The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Logo Question

Today during my pregame( Women's JUCO) my partner said he had a situation last week during the captain's meeting where his partner told the players that their socks were illegal because they had more than one logo on them. Nike apparently has thier logo so that it shows on the inside and outside of each of the calf on each sock. The official made the players roll their socks so that the logos did not show. My response was that where in the rule book does it talk about socks never mind logos on socks. He said he never heard or read it either.
I was telling my daughter this story tonight and she said that last night in her HS Varsity game the official ( not the one described above) doing the captain's meeting told them the same thing. Have I missed something in the rule book?
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 09:47pm
M.A.S.H.

Nope, haven't missed anything (3-6).

I guess it could be a state or local thing.

But, it's not a Fed thing - yet!
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not gonna lie...I ain't gonna be looking close to enough at a player's socks to see if there are multiple logos on them. One cause there's no rule about it. Second, if there WAS a rule about it, I still wouldn't be looking that closely.

I fully expect to see BillyMac post some fashion police badge any time now.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

You haven't missed anything. Some officials just take their fashion police responsibilities to a new level.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 01:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
But, it's not a Fed thing - yet!
It once was a Fed thing. It think it was back around 97-98 when it was illegal to have multiple logos on their socks. The rule changed the next year as it was realized that schools do not provide such things to their players. I doubt they are going back to that rule again.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 09:17am
Get away from me, Steve.

I had a partner last year (yes, that guy) who mentioned the logos on socks and I simply turned to him and said "no such rule in high school."

He started doubting me and then I shot him the "are you arguing about the rules with *me*?" look and he backed off.

I haven't had any real issues with fashion this year with the exception of the girl with the gauging earlobes (or whatever the hell you call it) earlier this season.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 09:23am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Ring, Ring......

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
You haven't missed anything. Some officials just take their fashion police responsibilities to a new level.
Earlier this yr on a late Friday night, my P's and I were done our game and went for some chow at the local pancake establishment.

Cellphone rings and it's one of our more senior association officials who said he made a VB player take off his long-sleeve, Under Armor. We asked him why? Conversation ensues with my P's as I go to my car and get my books (how sad is that?).

Handed the books to my P so he could read the rule to the official over the cell. Oops.

Friggin uniform police......
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

This rule is in effect for the NCAA. Yes, a lot of manufacturers do have a double or even quadruple logos on socks. This is something that has been enforced all season in all of the conferences that I am aware of. If you look at Rule 3, Section 8, Article 2, you will see how only one logo is allowed on the apperal, in this case the sock.

Socks (Rule 3-8.2). Only one manufacturer’s logo, not exceeding 2 ¼ square inches, is permitted on a sock. Furthermore, there can be no more than one logo per leg regardless of how many socks are being worn. No other commercial logos are permitted (Source: Arbitersports.com, Debbie Williamson NCAA Women's Basketball Secretary, Rules Editor)

Hope that helps. This is something that has been a rising issue through out the year, and the NCAA wants us all the enforce the rules in the rulebook, and this is in there.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 11:30am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It once was a Fed thing. It think it was back around 97-98 when it was illegal to have multiple logos on their socks. The rule changed the next year as it was realized that schools do not provide such things to their players. I doubt they are going back to that rule again.

Peace
Interesting. While I'm glad they got rid of that, the reasoning seems a little arbitrary. Schools don't give T-shirts to their players, either, yet those are "regulated." Same thing with wrist bands and head bands.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 11:59am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Interesting. While I'm glad they got rid of that, the reasoning seems a little arbitrary. Schools don't give T-shirts to their players, either, yet those are "regulated." Same thing with wrist bands and head bands.
I agree, but socks are probably the last thing discussed by any coach or team. In many cases the shoes are not provided by the team, so what they do to protect their feet and type of sock is probably never discussed. And we can see all those other things easily. Socks might be something we might not see the way players wear them today.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 12:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Mr. Blackwell Speaks From The Grave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
It's not a Fed thing, yet!
Don't even joke about such a thing. Like my grandmother used to say, "Don't mess with karma". Is there an Irishtown in New Delhi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It once was a Fed thing. I doubt they are going back to that rule again.
I certainly hope so.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 12:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Much Better Than A Badge ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I fully expect to see BillyMac post some fashion police badge any time now.
And, as usual, you'd be wrong:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
And, as usual, you'd be wrong:

Probably should of just said you'd post a pointless picture.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Earlier this yr on a late Friday night, my P's and I were done our game and went for some chow at the local pancake establishment.

Cellphone rings and it's one of our more senior association officials who said he made a VB player take off his long-sleeve, Under Armor. We asked him why? Conversation ensues with my P's as I go to my car and get my books (how sad is that?).

Handed the books to my P so he could read the rule to the official over the cell. Oops.

Friggin uniform police......
I agree....what would any of us be worried about what a volleyball player wears?
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 01:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Like This ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Probably should of just said you'd post a pointless picture.