The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

I've called a push on the offense or defense (getting rebounding position under the hoop) while the ball was in the air a few times over the past week. When the ball goes in I don't feel good about handing the ball back to the offense if the foul is on the defense.

I just want to confirm; do you guys hold your whistle and see if it goes in or do you whistle when you see the foul?

Let the conflagration begin.

Todd
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Call the foul.

I agree it does seem a little disconcerting to give the ball back to the offense after they just scored. So make sure it is a justifiable foul - they all are, aren't they?

Especially if your game resembles a conflagration.

Good call. Clean it up.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Todd, I have been taught to wait until the ball not only misses but comes into the vicinity where the foul occured. If those two things don't happen leave it alone unless it is cheap or hard or ugly looking.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

I don't want to cause trouble however, consider ball location when the push occurs. Little push when the ball is near the rim-hold whistle to see if it is an advantage for the rebound. Same little push when the ball is just leaving the hands of the shooter-no call(picture an long outside shot). You can only wait so long.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

I tend to hold my whistle to determine if the ball goes or not.....unless it is very rough, ugly, cheap....and if the basket goes I will also in a very quiet way let the player know that I saw him pushing and to clean it up.

AK ref SE
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 03:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Rough play.

Rough play contact should be called all the time in my opinion. Regardless of whether the ball went in or if it was missed. If you do not call this, it will continue the rest of the game.

So if you see A3 shove B5 all the way across the lane, call it regardless of what happens to the ball.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Eli and Jeff are both right. If there's a small displacement, then wait and see if it affects the rebounding action. If there's a rough displacement or an escalation, then call it right away and let the chips fall where they may.

Of course, in Eli's case, if you blow the foul and then the ball goes in, you don't give possession back to the offense. . . but that's another can of rules

Chuck