The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Block shot attempt, slap back-board? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/61342-block-shot-attempt-slap-back-board.html)

Adam Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:18pm

Had a varsity game a few years ago in which this happened. Transition, shot went up, defender tried to block it and missed. After he hit the backboard, the ball went in. Entire team stood up and asked for a technical foul. I gave them a timeout.

jdw3018 Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 722757)
I liked it all except the red I like my bosses to KNOW that I KNOW the rules when I'm working their contests. I would simply provide the location where he could find the rule... because I already "know it." Not that I would come off in that manner :D

Very fair point. :D I think we see this the same way - just find a diplomatic way to say, "I knew the rule, and then I went back and looked again and here it is," without being a smart a$$.

Loudwhistle Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 722766)
He's at your games too? He really gets around. I'm impressed.

Shoot, I had Daryl, Daryl, and Daryl's two brothers at my last game. They were "real" sharp on calling traveling when a player sat up with the ball and then passed off before getting up.

APG Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 722770)
Had a varsity game a few years ago in which this happened. Transition, shot went up, defender tried to block it and missed. After he hit the backboard, the ball went in. Entire team stood up and asked for a technical foul. I gave them a timeout.

HAHA! I love it! :D

mbyron Fri Jan 28, 2011 03:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 722750)
If you can imagine it was a legitimate block attempt, no call.

If by this you mean that any benefit of the doubt goes to the defender, I agree. :)

26 Year Gap Fri Jan 28, 2011 04:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 722766)
He's at your games too? He really gets around. I'm impressed.

He's only there for 3 seconds, though. So, he has time to get around.

BillyMac Fri Jan 28, 2011 06:55pm

Have Your Assignor Contact The Mythbusters ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jritchie (Post 722723)
Assignor comes in and says we missed two T's tonight and said we needed to read up on the rule?

Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul.