The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Took a Backwards Tumble (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/61323-took-backwards-tumble.html)

bainsey Fri Jan 28, 2011 01:51am

Took a Backwards Tumble

I'm the T; defense gets the steal.

I start to backtrack quickly when I start to feel my feet go out from under me. I try to maintain my balance, attempting some sort of wide stance before going down, but it turns into one of those inevitable falls that lasts five weeks.

My downward thoughts: "Oh no, not now, try to balance, won't work, oh s**t, here it comes, don't fall into the crowd...!" WHAM, flat on my back, possibly leaving a crack in the foundation.

Someone in the front row asks if I'm all right. I pop up and high tail it to the end line, just in time for the layup. I hold a thumbs up to the crowd going back down the other way. My partner tells me they went on about it for several minutes. Rabbit ears. :D

Lone upside: Falling is the one thing an official can do that pleases everybody.

Rob1968 Fri Jan 28, 2011 03:34am

Been there, done that . . .

A few years ago I had a similar mishap - first step backwards as trail, going to new lead, hooked a heel, fought with it for three steps, each of which brought more response from the crowd, and finally gave up and sat down for a short slide. When I popped up I got a hearty round of applause from the bleacher bunch, gave them half a bow, to their great satisfaction, and headed to the other end with the play.
I subscribe to the old saying, "Learn to laugh at yourself - you'll never go unamused!"

Rich Fri Jan 28, 2011 09:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 722573)
I'm the T; defense gets the steal.

I start to backtrack quickly when I start to feel my feet go out from under me. I try to maintain my balance, attempting some sort of wide stance before going down, but it turns into one of those inevitable falls that lasts five weeks.

My downward thoughts: "Oh no, not now, try to balance, won't work, oh s**t, here it comes, don't fall into the crowd...!" WHAM, flat on my back, possibly leaving a crack in the foundation.

Someone in the front row asks if I'm all right. I pop up and high tail it to the end line, just in time for the layup. I hold a thumbs up to the crowd going back down the other way. My partner tells me they went on about it for several minutes. Rabbit ears. :D

Lone upside: Falling is the one thing an official can do that pleases everybody.

You weren't backpedaling, were you? If so, you deserved to fall. :D

Seriously, backpedaling on the court is not the way to go the other direction. Turn and run and look over your shoulder.

Adam Fri Jan 28, 2011 09:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 722627)
You weren't backpedaling, were you? If so, you deserved to fall. :D

Seriously, backpedaling on the court is not the way to go the other direction. Turn and run and look over your shoulder.

+1

Even your first step shouldn't be a back pedal.

stir22 Fri Jan 28, 2011 09:50am

happened to my partner just last monday night at a jv c squad game. not many people in the audience. i was the new trail, and going by the home team bench when he fell; the subs started laughing. i looked at them and said,"girls, c'mon...thats not good sportsmanship." at half-time the coach thanked me for reminding them to be good sports. my partner said that his fall seemed like it went on for an hour.

26 Year Gap Fri Jan 28, 2011 09:52am

Make sure that:
1. You get a copy of the game film, and
2. You watch youtube to see if you made the big time.

BktBallRef Fri Jan 28, 2011 09:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 722573)
I start to backtrack quickly...

Never back track.

Turn, run, and look over your shoulder.

stir22 Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 722652)
Never back track.

Turn, run, and look over your shoulder.

other than increasing your risk of falling, is there any other reason not to backtrack?

/thanks

BktBallRef Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stir22 (Post 722658)
other than increasing your risk of falling, is there any other reason not to backtrack?

/thanks

That's the only reason you need. I would think you would know that now. :)

Think about it...ever see an NCAA or NBA official back track? No, you haven't. Turn, run and look over your shoulder.

26 Year Gap Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 722662)
That's the only reason you need. I would think you would know that now. :)

Think about it...ever see an NCAA or NBA official back track? No, you haven't. Turn, run and look over your shoulder.

There are some good youtube videos that reinforce the above. Look for 'referee tumble' or something similar. Imagine it is you in the video. Imagine all of your association members know it is you. Imagine that it is brought up in a meeting and they ask you for a demo.

Welpe Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:07am

Quote:

You need a reason other than not crashing on a gym floor? ;)

Adam Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:07am

Quote:

/thanks

As BktBallRef says; that's the only reason you need.

However, it's slower and not good on your legs.

Rich Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 722667)
As BktBallRef says; that's the only reason you need.

However, it's slower and not good on your legs.

It's also nice to see what's coming up. Can't do that with your back turned.

It would be a killer on my legs. When I watch JV officials do it, it makes my Achilles hurt just watching.

Full disclosure: I did this once working a middle school game sometime about 1990. Backed into a player and almost broke my arm.

stir22 Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 722666)
You need a reason other than not crashing on a gym floor? ;)

lol.....no. just relatively new and trying to glean all the information i can.

Welpe Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 722669)
It's also nice to see what's coming up. Can't do that with your back turned.

It would be a killer on my legs. When I watch JV officials do it, it makes my Achilles hurt just watching.

You don't like working backjudge then, I take it? :D