The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, everyone should have their schedules roughly together by now. For high school, what is your longest drive to work a game or games?

On average, all of my games are between 30 and 45 minutes. My longest is 100 miles in Fenruary. Man I hope it snows so it takes me 5 hours and requires dog sleds to get there!

Thankfully its not 4:30 after work game. I was told I'll need a passport and to get a hotel room for that one.

How about you?

Larks
VIT
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 03:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Pike County Conference.

I probably have the longest drive but I could be wrong (what else is new).

I will be going well over 200 miles if I include a trip that is where my Mom lives. I live in a western suburb of Chicago and I will be going to a school that is close to the Mississippi River and closer to St. Louis than Lake Michigan. I live over 3 1/2 hours away just from my Mom's house and this particular school is about an 1 hour and 45 minutes from where she lives. Not I will admit that I will be staying with my Mother after the game, so maybe that is not completely fair to say I will be travelling that far, but it is not my home.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 03:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
Ok, everyone should have their schedules roughly together by now. For high school, what is your longest drive to work a game or games?

On average, all of my games are between 30 and 45 minutes. My longest is 100 miles in Fenruary. Man I hope it snows so it takes me 5 hours and requires dog sleds to get there!

Thankfully its not 4:30 after work game. I was told I'll need a passport and to get a hotel room for that one.

How about you?

Larks
VIT
Larks,
Cut 'er back this year.
Longest was 155.

mick

We don't worry about snow, ...we wait for it.
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Pike County Conference.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I probably have the longest drive but I could be wrong (what else is new).

I will be going well over 200 miles if I include a trip that is where my Mom lives. I live in a western suburb of Chicago and I will be going to a school that is close to the Mississippi River and closer to St. Louis than Lake Michigan. I live over 3 1/2 hours away just from my Mom's house and this particular school is about an 1 hour and 45 minutes from where she lives. Not I will admit that I will be staying with my Mother after the game, so maybe that is not completely fair to say I will be travelling that far, but it is not my home.

Peace
200?!? Wow, that is dedication....or addiction....or stupidity....or insanity.....or one hell of a point winner with your assigner.....bottom line, thats a lot of time in the car for a game.

Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
My longest HS drive is only about 40 minutes. My longest college drive is about 1 hr. 40 min. Of course, driving to Brooklyn on Father's Day when the Yankees are at Shea. . .

Chuck
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Our officiating district covers a lot of area. I live in Idaho Falls, Idaho. We are routinely assigned games that are quite distant: 185 (Salmon), 145 (Challis), 140 (Leadore), 80 (Driggs), 65 (Arco), and closer. One person of the official's team get's paid mileage... that for the most distant games can be twice his game fee! Six hours round trip, or more if the roads are snow covered, is a long riding time for a mediocre game. Mileage is generally shared with the riders by purchasing them dinner and "road cokes" for the trip home.

A regular schedule will likely include at least one visit to each of these distant venues... sometimes more than once for some of them. More than once always makes you feel special... wondering what you did wrong.
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 04:17pm
9 times

Y'all got it easy. Our association covers a school that is 250 miles (one way) from us. The last 50 miles is on a dirt road and there is no cell phone service for the last 75 miles. The town has the school, a church and a fire station. No stores, gas stations, etc. You have to fillup with gas in a city about 100 miles away and generally get gas there on the way back. We always tell officials to take shovels, blankets, food, etc. with them incase of an emergency. The road is not well travelled. The dirt road is open range land and I hit a cow on that road once, but that is another story...

For college games we drive as far as 350 miles one way.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I think that I have you all beat for shortest drives - all of my games are 3 blocks away, and I walk it.
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Well-
Distance wise I dont always have to drive.....But I normally have to fly into areas, or take a ferry because there are roads where I officiate. My longest trip ever was when I lived in Anchorage, Alaska. I had to take two different planes and we travelled via Four wheelers in Kotezebue (close to the arctic circle) to officiate a tournament.

AK ref Se
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Four-wheelers!

Anyone ride animals to their games? camels, elephants, horses, ostrich?
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Well, I think that I have you all beat for shortest drives - all of my games are 3 blocks away, and I walk it.
Yeah but I bet it's uphill - both ways!
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 05:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking A little bit of all those things.

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks

200?!? Wow, that is dedication....or addiction....or stupidity....or insanity.....or one hell of a point winner with your assigner.....bottom line, thats a lot of time in the car for a game.

The only thing, these are not games I get from assignors. In some cases I make more doing these games then going to a college game. It is worth it to me. And I get to see my Mom more often.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Yeah but I bet it's uphill - both ways!
Well, yeah!
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Stripes...

Bet you are describing West Desert?

We have had guys go off the road, dodge cattle, with that one its just not a game its an adventure.

Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 02:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
In Longview where I am now, my furthest game would be in Texarkana, roughly 100 miles one way.

When I lived in Colorado Springs, my furthest game could be 120 miles to Leadville, 10,000 elevation, the highest gym in the nation. I never called there but I did call a game at a place similar to Strips. That game was only 50 miles but the directions read like this. Go down highway 24 until you reach Yoder. Turn right and follow the road till it turns to a dirt road, turn left, follow it until it becomes a dirt road, turn right. Follow it until it becomes a dirt road and turn left. When the road becomes dirt again, the school will be on your right. School population was 30. The smallest in Colorado.

After Colorado Springs, I lived in Longmont, CO for a year. The furthest I traveled there to a game was 60 miles. To the south side of Denver. I called a game at Columbine.