The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

This is a long post - sorry, but I need to vent.

Last night was our first chapter meeting for the up-coming year. Our rules interpreter went through the rule changes for this year with some overhead slides and covered some points of emphasis (nfhs).

The situation came up of A1 dunking the ball, ball is through the hoop, and A1 crashing into B1 (who has legal guarding position) before A1 returns to the floor. Everyone was okay with calling a player control foul on A1 and not scoring the basket, even though the contact was after the ball had gone through the hoop. Further discussion ensued about what the call would be if A1 returned to the floor and then crashed into B1. The quick consensus was just a common foul on A1. I raised my hand at this point and say "the ball is dead, dead ball fouls are technical fouls." The interpreter says the ball is not dead. I say "according to the rule book, the ball is dead after a made basket until the ref deems the ball is available to the other team for a throw-in." Interpreter asks me "Is the clock running?" I say yes. Interpreter says if the clock is still running, the ball is not dead. I feel alone at this point. All the other refs are looking like deer in the middle of the road blinded by headlights. I then ask, (it's my only way out) "Is this how we should interpret the situation?" He says yes. After the meeting, I explain that I am looking for how to interpret the rules, not trying to be a smartaleck. But I further ask "What about correctable errors? The rulebook says we have until the first dead ball to correct a correctable error. The rulebook says the ball is dead after a basket. How long do we really have to correct the error?" The interpreter's response was an explaination about the difference between the rule book dead ball and a clock stop dead ball (ie a dead ball because the official blew the whistle). I listen intently, and ask is this the way we are to call the games and interpret the rules? He says yes. Aaaaarrrrgggg!

The rules interpreter in our chapter also is an assignor. No one wants to get on his bad side, but we have a problem in that the rules interpreter doesn't know the rules. Those who know the rules are scared to stand up to this guy, but most just don't know the rules. This is my first year of getting a full varsity schedule (having got table scraps the last couple of years) and I was scared to death opening my mouth last night. This is the problem with Pennsylvania. Here, you take the test once, and if you pass, you never test again. This promotes myths becoming rules.

Part of me says, "you know the rules, just let it go." But then a part of me says "this guy is teaching our chapter incorrectly - you have to say something." Every year, he has explained situations to be called differently than what the rulebook says. Last year he told us it was okay for a player to get up off the ground with the ball if the pivot foot did not move!

Anyway, thanks for listening.
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 08:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
...The rules interpreter in our chapter also is an assignor. ...
PA Ref,
He got the job somehow.
Since he choses to provide bunkum, rather than reason, perhaps he can "un-get" the interpreter position in a similar manner.
Good luck. I feel your pain.
mick
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Talking

A wise man once said, "A Wrong Step by the leader is a warning for those following." With that in mind you have to always do "the right thing" and be responsible for your actions. Whe you are on the floor, you are the rules interpretor! Congratulations on your first full varsity schedule and I hope that your season is a success. In the future, you may want to consider challenging the rules interpretor one on one / man to man instead of calling him out in a group setting if you're affraid of how it may affect your receiving games. It's unfortunate that politics are still ever present in chapters when it comes to scheduling games. Continue to do things the right way and your talents and knowledge will be noticed by coaches and supervisors and you'll get all the games your heart desires.
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Can you ask the interpreter/assignor to contact the NF for
a ruling on this? Or just do it yourself and ask him privately what to make of the difference in rulings?

Good luck
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Tough situation. While I suppose that some could say that knowing the rules inside and out might not be critical to an assignor, it certainly is critical to a rules interpreter.

Hopefully you have some other refs who will support you (although they certainly didn't pipe up during the meeting) in finding a rules interpreter for next year who has cracked the books open a time or two. It does a disservice to all the kids who play the game when the officials are being taught wrong.

Z
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 10:21am
Esteemed Participant

Is this guy an assignor in your area? Or someplace else in the state? I ask because I had a similiar situation several years back - but the interpreter was not from my area, so I had no qualms about calling the state office and getting their interp and taking it back to our local assoc...in my case, the bozo said that a player who dives for a loose ball, begins a dribble while laying on the floor, and then stands up has traveled...I even read him the fundamental statement of basketball in the rule book about that and he wouldn't budge...if the guy can't hurt your schedule, call the state and get their ruling and bring it up at the next meeting...
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

The assignor - rules interpretor

He assigns A and AA games for our chapter (most of the schools in our area are A and AA). We have to stay on his good side to a certain extent.