The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 02, 2000, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Is it just me or is NCAA DI officiating becoming disgustingly similar to the NBA?
If I wanted to see the circus, I'd buy tickets to Ringling Bros.
I'm all for "letting them play", but give me a break. This thing is getting out of hand.
As a 12 year high school and 7 year NCAA D2 official, I take great pride in not only calling what needs to be called, but my mechanics as well.
I hate to say it, but it looks as though the NCAA is doing what the NBA and WWF must do tho attract fans..let'em kill each other and score a ton of points.
Lets get back to the basics and let good defense win games!!!!
Old Sun Apr 02, 2000, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

The officials did a great job in the Florida-NC game. A few of the things that happened wasn't the result of officials letting them play. Things happen and players get stupid and when they did the officials took care of it. I think the officials struggled in the Wis-Mich. game. Inconsistent and making calls out of their area. I've seen two of those officials several times and they routinely make calls out of their areas.
Old Sun Apr 02, 2000, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson:
The officials did a great job in the Florida-NC game. A few of the things that happened wasn't the result of officials letting them play. Things happen and players get stupid and when they did the officials took care of it. I think the officials struggled in the Wis-Mich. game. Inconsistent and making calls out of their area. I've seen two of those officials several times and they routinely make calls out of their areas.
I beg to differ on that NC/FLA game. In fact that clear wave off of a shot(layup)for FLA as a result of the block called on Capel at around 6:08 of 1st half. I believe it was Weaks going up after a steal and pass from Dupay and Capel was the victim of the steal
as well. Yeah fatigue had set in but it was obvious that it was out of hand from all of the near fights.
Old Sun Apr 02, 2000, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson:
Just to clarify my point about a good job from the officials. That wave off of the shot was a confusing moment, especially when the shot up at the same time the whistle was blown. From what I saw it was a lot left to be desired. I can say this, I learned a lot on what not to do.

Old Mon Apr 03, 2000, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Hey guys, you saw a lot more than I did.
I am in Secion 319, Row 26 (4th row from the top) and about 225 feet from the court.

Boy you should of heard all of the referees from our vantage point.

I agree that the first game had no rythmn, as it seemed that each was trying to outdo the other. John Claugherty was late getting down on a fast break, missed an obvious charge against Michigan State and immediately made a makeup 3 second call against Michigan State.

Donnie Gray was being pushed aside when all of a sudden he made a long distanc call completely out of his area.

Whatever, I can still see the plays and most of the fouls and the experience here is great. If you have never been to a Final Four you must do it once in your lifetime.

My final update tomorrow.

Old Mon Apr 03, 2000, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Double technical in NC/FL game. Can anybody explain to me why the officials did not eject Forte for striking a Florida player? Is it because they did not see him do it or they felt he was provoked by a Florida player? Even if he was provoked I thought any phyical retaliation is grounds for ejection. It wasn't a punch, but it was an elbow to the head area. What gives?????
Old Mon Apr 03, 2000, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

i don't think anyone could have complained if he would have been ejected. But, i don't have any complaint with the way it was handled.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2000, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jackgil:
Double technical in NC/FL game. Can anybody explain to me why the officials did not eject Forte for striking a Florida player? Is it because they did not see him do it or they felt he was provoked by a Florida player? Even if he was provoked I thought any phyical retaliation is grounds for ejection. It wasn't a punch, but it was an elbow to the head area. What gives?????

Why was the ball taken out of bounds at the end line instead of midcourt after the double technical foul?
Old Mon Apr 03, 2000, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA double fouls result in the offense retaining possession (unless no possession, then AP), no FTs. Administer inbounds nearest spot.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2000, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Now I did not see the punch from the 'cheap' seats. It was the only call I missed all night.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2000, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Pizanno are you sure on double T's. i thought we went to AP and ball inbounds at mid court? bsilliman, it wasn't a punch, more like he raised and pushed his forearm into his face.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2000, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA couble foul rule is offense retains possession (with no reset of shot clock)and inbounds at spot nearest, as for the double T, I believe it is the same except for the ball inbounded at mid court.

Maybe it is just me, but it almost sounds like sour grapes with regards to officiating in the tourney. We all know how much easier it is to call a game from the stands, especially with instant replay, slo-mo and reverse angles. Yes, the refs should get every play right, but they don't and won't. If you ever watch yourself on film and are critical on your performance, believe me, you'll find much more to complain about than what I have seen in the tourney. These guys are the best, plain and simple.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2000, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

The best still need to do the job. We know how easy it is to second guess tough calls (see blarge), but you have to call the easy ones. I only watched the first half last night and saw two obvious, and a third possible kicked ball. One was right in front of Jim Burr, the ball went off the defenders' foot straight up in the air for an easy steal. Even Billy “that–was–a-reach-over-the-back” Packer saw it. You have to make that call.

I have never had to make the call (thank god), but in my opinion if a players’ mouth gets a punch or elbow thrown at him/her, both players should be tossed. The officials were lucky nothing else happened between forte and the Florida players. Thoughts?
Old Tue Apr 04, 2000, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

I don't think you toss both player when one player throws a punch. Yes, the other player was probably trash talking. Trash talking is a T and punching is a Fragrant T.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2000, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

only double personal fouls stay with the offense. Double technicals use the AP.