The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Disagreement with partner last night on rule (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60830-disagreement-partner-last-night-rule.html)

Mark Padgett Thu Jan 20, 2011 02:13pm

Disagreement with partner last night on rule

Fed rules. A1 is fouled going to the basket and does not make the shot. He bounces into the wall and gets hurt. Coach is beckoned. A1 seems to recover and coach asks if he can take his two shots before coming out. Partner says OK. I step in and explain the rule. Partner disagrees but I was able to "override" him. No problem with coach who then gets a sub into the game to shoot the free throws. A2 misses the first but makes the second.

Now here's the follow-up. Can A1 come back into the game before the ensuing throw-in?

Welpe Thu Jan 20, 2011 02:14pm

No. 3-3-4

RookieDude Thu Jan 20, 2011 02:31pm

WELPE'S hit it on the head:

"A player who has been replaced, or directed to leave the game shall not RE-ENTER before the next opportunity to substitiute AFTER THE CLOCK HAS BEEN STARTED properly following his/her replacement."

Adam Thu Jan 20, 2011 02:32pm

Unless someone else gets hurt or disqualified, leaving only 5 eligible healthy players total; of course.

bob jenkins Thu Jan 20, 2011 02:35pm

Did you tell the coach he could take a TO to keep the player in the game?

Camron Rust Thu Jan 20, 2011 02:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 719561)
No. 3-3-4

And not even if the coach then chooses to call a timeout....that option "expired" as soon as the sub entered the game for A1.

BLydic Thu Jan 20, 2011 02:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 719568)

ouch

bob jenkins Thu Jan 20, 2011 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 719571)
And not even if the coach then chooses to call a timeout....that option "expired" as soon as the sub entered the game for A1.

I agree. I meant before the sub came in.

If a coach asks me if an injured player can shoot FTs, my response is along the lines of "only if you ask for a TO."

Mark Padgett Thu Jan 20, 2011 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 719568)

Yes. He choose not to do so.

A buddy told me once he asked a coach if he wanted to take a TO to keep an injured player in the game when he knew that team was out of timeouts, but he didn't remind the coach of that when he asked. He said he was somewhat disappointed the coach didn't take one. I think he was kidding about feeling that way, however.

Man, imagine the fallout if that happened and you then went to call the T. Whoa nellie!

BktBallRef Thu Jan 20, 2011 03:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 719560)
Partner disagrees but I was able to "override" him.

The topic read, "Disagreement with partner last night on rule."

Disagreed with what????? :confused:

BillyMac Thu Jan 20, 2011 08:45pm

With Some Exceptions ...

Must sit a tick, don’t have to play a tick.

Mark Padgett Thu Jan 20, 2011 09:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 719605)
The topic read, "Disagreement with partner last night on rule."

Disagreed with what????? :confused:

We disagreed on the rule that the player had to come out of the game because the coach was beckoned. He said the player could shoot the free throws before he had to come out. He said there was an "exception" to the rule for players that were fouled and got to shoot free throws.

BktBallRef Thu Jan 20, 2011 09:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 719702)
We disagreed on the rule that the player had to come out of the game because the coach was beckoned. He said the player could shoot the free throws before he had to come out. He said there was an "exception" to the rule for players that were fouled and got to shoot free throws.

Good grief. :(

26 Year Gap Fri Jan 21, 2011 09:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 719586)
Yes. He choose not to do so.

A buddy told me once he asked a coach if he wanted to take a TO to keep an injured player in the game when he knew that team was out of timeouts, but he didn't remind the coach of that when he asked. He said he was somewhat disappointed the coach didn't take one. I think he was kidding about feeling that way, however.

Man, imagine the fallout if that happened and you then went to call the T. Whoa nellie!

Might have spared an OT.