The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 06:28am
Administrator

What say you?

I have just finished my paper work from my midnight courier run and went online to read the news and this story caught my interest in the sports section.

Girl pulled from game over safety concerns about headscarf - News | FOX Sports on MSN

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

Mark I am in Maryland and we allow a difference in dress based on religions.

I would have allowed it.

I have never come across this. But we might have an Amish girl who has to wear a head covering.

I am surprised she was allowed to wear just a uniform to play in. We have some that have to wear long pants under their shorts and long shirts under their shirts. I have seen both of those.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 07:30am
Esteemed Forum Member

Looks Like Another Job For The ...

Mythbusters.

State associations may, on an individual basis, allow a player to participate while wearing a head covering, if it is worn for medical or religious reasons, provided that the covering is not abrasive, hard, or dangerous, and is attached in such a way that it is highly unlikely to come off during play.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 07:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

Inquiring Minds Want to Know ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
We have some that have to wear long pants under their shorts.
Why under her shorts? Why not just long pants, sans shorts?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 08:02am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Because that would require the school to purchase matching pants for the one girl, a much cheaper option is the pants underneath the shorts.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 08:03am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
+1

See case book 3.5.6SitB. You can wear legally wear long pants instead of shorts. Anything under the shorts and extending below the shorts is generally illegal.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 08:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
+1

See case book 3.5.6SitB. You can wear legally wear long pants instead of shorts. Anything under the shorts and extending below the shorts is generally illegal.
While this is true, if a player tells me she's wearing pants (under her shorts) for religious purposes, I'm letting her play. I'll send a note to my assigner and the state after the game.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 08:28am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
While this is true, if a player tells me she's wearing pants (under her shorts) for religious purposes, I'm letting her play. I'll send a note to my assigner and the state after the game.
And you would be taking a chance imo because you're going directly against a definitive NFHS ruling if you did so. The FED has said that wearing tights below the shorts for religious purposes is illegal. Anything worn that extends below the uniform shorts is illegal. Wearing long pants, tights, a skirt, etc, instead of shorts is legal.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 08:33am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
And you would be taking a chance imo because you're going directly against a definitive NFHS ruling if you did so. The FED has said that wearing tights below the shorts for religious purposes is illegal. Anything worn that extends below the uniform shorts is illegal. Wearing long pants, tights, a skirt, etc, instead of shorts is legal.
I realize she could wear jeans if she wanted to, as long as there's no more than one manufacturer's logo and it's no more than 2.25 inches squared.

I'd be taking a chance either way, and from what I've seen from CHSAA on this issue in the past, it would be less of a chance my way. They tend to rule towards allowing things like this (non-safety issues) for religious reasons.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 08:46am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I realize she could wear jeans if she wanted to, as long as there's no more than one manufacturer's logo and it's no more than 2.25 inches squared.

I'd be taking a chance either way, and from what I've seen from CHSAA on this issue in the past, it would be less of a chance my way. They tend to rule towards allowing things like this (non-safety issues) for religious reasons.
But it's already been ruled by the NFHS that she can't legally wear jeans under her shorts, even for religious reasons. I honestly can't see any state going against a definitive NFHS ruling like that when all the player has to do to be legally dressed is remove the shorts and just wear the long pants. And you're not taking a chance with telling the player that either because you have specific language to that effect in that case play to back you up.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I honestly can't see any state going against a definitive NFHS ruling like that when all the player has to do to be legally dressed is remove the shorts and just wear the long pants.
I can.

(But I don't know what they have done in snaqwell's state.)
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

She wore the long pants and long shirt under her uniform for religious reasons. ( modesty )

She was their best player. I wasn't going to argue that she couldn't, I could see there being a law suit for discrimination.

Plus, they were both tight to the skin, nothing hanging loose.

She played like that for 4 years and is now in college, I expect playing somewhere.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 10:33am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I can.

(But I don't know what they have done in snaqwell's state.)
But would you have allowed it without having a ruling from the state?

Or would you just say "Why not just wear the long pants and forget about the shorts?" Imo doing that that would keep any reasonable person happy while meeting the rule at the same time.

Why take a chance that the state might disagree with you when you really don't have to? Doesn't make sense to me. But....that's just me.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 11:01am
#thereferee99

Couldn't believe what we had...

Two years ago. My association starts doing games for a charter school league. "Varsity" games are akin to JV or Frosh games elsewhere (or worse).

Have a girls game, and it turns out one of the teams is from a school and almost all of the players had headscarves, long-sleeved undershirts and pants.

ALMOST! One player had the full-on burqa with a number taped to the back!

This was a real mind-blower and took some time for my partner and I to process. The league was just getting going, and was seeking high-school accreditation. This we knew. Our association knew they would be struggling (getting shot clocks worked in -- a CA thing -- and other issues) The games needed to get done. This we knew.

The scorekeeper from the team was very nice (older sister of one of the players). I had her tell all of the players that they could not have jewelry on, even underneath and play. She said she would make sure. Informed coach that by rule, headgear needed a letter from the state, etc., then we threw the ball up and played the game.

Burqa wearer was and end-of-the-bench sub who played only a few minutes. Team got drubbed badly, but the girls played hard and had fun.

Just a mind-boggling experience.

Had the same team last year, and things had improved. Long-sleeved undershirts now matched color of uniforms!
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But would you have allowed it without having a ruling from the state?

Or would you just say "Why not just wear the long pants and forget about the shorts?" Imo doing that that would keep any reasonable person happy while meeting the rule at the same time.

Why take a chance that the state might disagree with you when you really don't have to? Doesn't make sense to me. But....that's just me.
Sometimes when you stick to the rules strange things happen too.

I was approached once before a JH game by a coach asking permission to allow a player to play with a braided thread bracelet on because it was religious. I told him that while I appreciated his player's devotion, he couldn't play if he was wearing it around his wrist (I did suggest taping it to his chest under his jersey). At the start of the game, the player came out sans bracelet and said to me "I really didn't care either way."