The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Defensive matchup (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60542-defensive-matchup.html)

stiffler3492 Sat Jan 15, 2011 01:20pm

Defensive matchup

Last night, Team A substituted for all 5 players on the floor. Team B's coach requested a defensive matchup.

I've never had this before, and wasn't sure of the mechanic. I just waited to inbound the ball until Team B seemed like they knew who they were guarding.

Is there any prescribed mechanic for this?

Adam Sat Jan 15, 2011 01:24pm

Not that I'm aware of; just give them a moment to figure it out.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Jan 15, 2011 02:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 716363)
Last night, Team A substituted for all 5 players on the floor. Team B's coach requested a defensive matchup.

I've never had this before, and wasn't sure of the mechanic. I just waited to inbound the ball until Team B seemed like they knew who they were guarding.

Is there any prescribed mechanic for this?

In the Ancient Days (:D), both the NBCUSC (and then the NFHS and NCAA) Rules Books had a Comment or Note in Rule 3, stating that when a team entered three substitutes or more, that the Captain of either team could request a Jump Ball (I seem to remember that the Comment/Note used the term Jump Ball) line-up so that his team could match up his players against his opponents players. A few (it may be more) years ago that Comment/Note was deleted from the Rules Books without any Editorial Comment. It is my opinion based upon eons of studying of the rules, that the mere deletion of the Comment/Note from the Rules, at least in this case, does not mean the request cannot be granted. I would have such a Captian's request a couple of times a year in the Ancient Days. I have had the request made a couple of times since the CommentNote was deleted from the Rules, and I have always granted the request. It only takes a few secones, actually about ten seconds and really does not slow down the game.

MTD, Sr.

Footnote 1: NBCUSC is the National Basketball Committee for the United States and Canada and is the now defunct organization that begat, through asexual reproduction, the NFHS and NCAA Rules Committees.

Jurassic Referee Sat Jan 15, 2011 03:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 716379)
In the Ancient Days (:D), both the NBCUSC (and then the NFHS and NCAA) Rules Books had a Comment or Note in Rule 3, stating that when a team entered three substitutes or more, that the Captain of either team could request a Jump Ball (I seem to remember that the Comment/Note used the term Jump Ball) line-up so that his team could match up his players against his opponents players. A few (it may be more) years ago that Comment/Note was deleted from the Rules Books without any Editorial Comment. It is my opinion based upon eons of studying of the rules, that the mere deletion of the Comment/Note from the Rules, at least in this case, does not mean the request cannot be granted. I would have such a Captian's request a couple of times a year in the Ancient Days. I have had the request made a couple of times since the CommentNote was deleted from the Rules, and I have always granted the request. It only takes a few secones, actually about ten seconds and really does not slow down the game.

MTD, Sr.

Footnote 1: NBCUSC is the National Basketball Committee for the United States and Canada and is the now defunct organization that begat, through asexual reproduction, the NFHS and NCAA Rules Committees.

It is my opinion based on reading the rule book that it's still IN the rulebook under NFHS rule 3-3-1(e) and has been for years. You'd better grant the request. :)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Jan 15, 2011 09:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 716416)
It is my opinion based on reading the rule book that it's still IN the rulebook under NFHS rule 3-3-1(e) and has been for years. You'd better grant the request. :)

Woody:

I was replying off of the top of my head because there is no hair up there anymore to stop anything I say. I do believe that the Comment/Note was deleted for a couple of years before NFHS R3-S3-A1(e) was put back in the book.

MTD, Sr.

SWMOzebra Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 716363)
Team B's coach requested a defensive matchup.

No books handy, but doesn't the defensive match-up have to be requested by a captain?

stiffler3492 Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWMOzebra (Post 716541)
No books handy, but doesn't the defensive match-up have to be requested by a captain?

That's what the book says, but are you really going to deny a coach's request for this?

Rich Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 716416)

It was mysteriously deleted and then just as mysteriously put back in. Every time I see a line change waiting at the table, I wonder if the coach will ask for this option (knowing he won't).

mbyron Sun Jan 16, 2011 07:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 716566)
Every time I see a line change waiting at the table, I wonder if the coach will ask for this option (knowing he won't).

They typically jump in when the puck is dumped into the offensive zone.

Oh wait... :rolleyes:

Rich Sun Jan 16, 2011 09:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 716686)
They typically jump in when the puck is dumped into the offensive zone.

Oh wait... :rolleyes:

We ended a juco women's game last week with a 5-on-4 power play. One team had 5 players, the other 6 to start the game. The team with 5 realized they couldn't be really aggressive and ceded baskets when they would've most certainly fouled. The team with 6 fouled out 2 players, had 2 others with 4 fouls, and lost by 20.

referee99 Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:26pm

A game last year...

Team B brings in 5 subs... he asks the Team A coach, "do you want a defensive matchup?" :eek:

She says, "What's that?" He explains.

For the rest of the game... "can I get a matchup? can I get a matchup?" on just about every substitution.

BktBallRef Sun Jan 16, 2011 01:50pm

Only a plumber would ask a coach, "Do you want a defensive matchup?"

BillyMac Sun Jan 16, 2011 04:13pm

Back To The Future ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 716566)
It was mysteriously deleted and then just as mysteriously put back in.

Another tear in the space-time continuum.

Adam Sun Jan 16, 2011 05:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 716804)
Team B brings in 5 subs... he asks the Team A coach, "do you want a defensive matchup?" :eek:

She says, "What's that?" He explains.

For the rest of the game... "can I get a matchup? can I get a matchup?" on just about every substitution.

Why in the world would you ask him this?