The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 02:43pm
I miss being on the floor

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

The Good: Nobody got hurt

The Bad: T'd home coach not three minutes in for yelling "Those were two HORRIBLE calls!" He thought my partner missed an OOB call, and he also thought we missed a FT violation (ball not hitting the rim. I asked my partner and he said it looked like it did from his position (trail)).

The coach thanked me for the technical. He was great the rest of the game, shook my hand and apologized after.

The Ugly: When the buzzer for the end of the third quarter sounded, I was on the endline. Sitting in the corner off that same endline was a game management person. I'm gathering the ball and starting to head toward the division line when he gets up and yells "Hey stripes! You're calling too many fouls we're on a time limit here! We've got another game after this!"

The AD saw the whole thing happen, and actually added to the game management person's complaints, saying the same sort of thing.

I say to the AD, hey, I can't have this sort of thing, please remove him. The AD says to me, well we can't really do that.........he's the principal.

I've never had anything this bad...the fans were bad as well...with parents from the winning school taunting the far inferior losing school. I couldn't get out of there soon enough.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 02:59pm
Archaic Power Monger

Nothing bad about that technical. That's as righteous as it gets.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 03:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
"Hey stripes! You're calling too many fouls we're on a time limit here! We've got another game after this!"
"Tell the players to stop committing them and we'll stop calling them. DUH!"
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 03:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
"Tell the players to stop committing them and we'll stop calling them. DUH!"
I'd probably say something like, "You need to talk to your coach, not me." Of course, I don't think I've ever had administration say something quite that stupid to me, so I'm not really sure what I'd say.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 03:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The AD saw the whole thing happen, and actually added to the game management person's complaints, saying the same sort of thing.

I say to the AD, hey, I can't have this sort of thing, please remove him. The AD says to me, well we can't really do that.........he's the principal.

I've never had anything this bad...the fans were bad as well...with parents from the winning school taunting the far inferior losing school. I couldn't get out of there soon enough.
If this was a HS game, then write his behind up and let the state deal with it. Then he will have to answer to the IHSA why he is acting like a fool and that could affect his program. There are more than one way to skin a cat.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 04:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I would write up the entire exchang with the AD and principal up and let your assigner know. That's inexcusable.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 04:37pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If this was a HS game, then write his behind up and let the state deal with it. Then he will have to answer to the IHSA why he is acting like a fool and that could affect his program. There are more than one way to skin a cat.

Peace
Would I do that on the IHSA website?
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The Good: Nobody got hurt

The Bad: T'd home coach not three minutes in for yelling "Those were two HORRIBLE calls!" He thought my partner missed an OOB call, and he also thought we missed a FT violation (ball not hitting the rim. I asked my partner and he said it looked like it did from his position (trail)).

The coach thanked me for the technical. He was great the rest of the game, shook my hand and apologized after.

The Ugly: When the buzzer for the end of the third quarter sounded, I was on the endline. Sitting in the corner off that same endline was a game management person. I'm gathering the ball and starting to head toward the division line when he gets up and yells "Hey stripes! You're calling too many fouls we're on a time limit here! We've got another game after this!"
For fun: "Then perhaps you need to complain to the moron that scheduled too many games tonight."

For real: "Sir, it's not my concern how many games are scheduled. We're not going to cheat the kids out of a good game just so you can get home early."

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 05:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Would I do that on the IHSA website?
It is the only way I know you can do that.

Look under Forms and Reports and click on Special Report and go from there.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 07:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thrown, Pushed, And Pulled, From Under The Bus ...

Prep school doubleheader yesterday. I'm watching the game after mine. The athletic director comes over and sits with me and proceeds to tell me what a horrible job one of the officials is doing, and how, when I go into the locker room after the game, I should tell this official what he was doing wrong.

After the game I went into the locker room, chatted about a few plays with the two officials, said goodbye, went out to my car, and called my commissioner from the parking lot. I did not reveal the name of the official who was given the negative critique by the athletic director, nor did I go into the specific complaints, but I did tell my commissioner that this was the most unprofessional conduct that I've seen from any athletic director in my thirty years of officiating. He agreed with me, and thanked me for the phone call, and the information. This is one athletic director that won't be getting any favors from our commissioner any time soon.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 09, 2011 at 08:30pm.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Prep school doubleheader yesterday. I'm watching the game after mine. The athletic director comes over and sits with me and proceeds to tell me what a horrible job one of the officials is doing, and how, when I go into the locker room after the game, I should tell this official what he was doing wrong.
And you didn't use this as an opportunity to put him in his place or let him know that his suggestion was inappropriate?

Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 09:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Commish Will Take Care Of It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
And you didn't use this as an opportunity to put him in his place or let him know that his suggestion was inappropriate?
Thought about it, but, no. Didn't comment. Didn't agree, Didn't disagree. Just listened. My commissioner told me that I did the right thing by not broaching the subject at the site. Communication between officials and school personnel is frowned upon around these parts. The commissioner takes care of all that type of communication. I once got in some hot water after making a positive comment about a new coach to his athletic director. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 09, 2011 at 09:29pm.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

So no one will be addressing it with the AD. The commissioner just "won't be getting any favors." Sounds like an excellent way to handle it.

Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 10:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It Will Be Handled, I Guarantee It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I did tell my commissioner that this was the most unprofessional conduct that I've seen from any athletic director in my thirty years of officiating. He agreed with me, and thanked me for the phone call, and the information. This is one athletic director that won't be getting any favors from our commissioner any time soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
So no one will be addressing it with the AD. The commissioner just "won't be getting any favors."
Where did you get that idea? My commissioner will definitely take care of this. He's behind his officials 100%. He's a former 35+ year high school, and college, official. Last year he only missed one night of observing, the night his grandson was born. As I said in my previous post, our officials are not allowed to communicate with athletic directors, at all. That's the commissioner's job.

Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 10:05pm
We don't rent pigs

Is the opinion of the AD as to the quality of the officiating that important?

Your opinion is noted, but I doubt you are qualified to criticize.

Lonesome Dove