The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Multiple Foul? Simultaneous Foul? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60431-multiple-foul-simultaneous-foul.html)

Zoochy Mon Jan 10, 2011 09:58am

Multiple Foul? Simultaneous Foul?

B1 fouls A1 and at the very same time B2 fouls A2. Team A is in the bonus?
Don't worry guys, I will never allow this to happen in my game. I am only enforcing 1 foul.

Jurassic Referee Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:06am

False multiple foul.

Just had a very long thread on this exact play.....

JugglingReferee Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 714025)
Don't worry guys, I will never allow this to happen in my game. I am only enforcing 1 foul.

You have to decide what happened first, then penalize in the order they occurred.

If B fouls A twice, and the situation warrants, enforce both!

I had this at camp years ago:

A1 started his habitual motion. B2 removes A2 from standing while in a rebounding position. That's my whistle. B1 then fouls the shooter. Whistled by my P.

BktBallRef Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:35am

Quote:

Zooch, a multiple foul occurs when two players foul the SAME opponentn ot different opponents. That one missing attribute makes this a false multiple foul.

A simultaneous foul occurs when both teams foul.

BillyMac Mon Jan 10, 2011 06:35pm

False Multiple Foul ???

Quote:

B1 fouls A1 and at the very same time B2 fouls A2. Team A is in the bonus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 714028)
False multiple foul.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 714030)
You have to decide what happened first, then penalize in the order they occurred.

How can you decide which happened first? Zoochy was very clear, "at the very same time". He didn't say at approximately the same time. He said, "at the very same time".

So, with these fouls happening at the "very same time", who shoots first, A1, or A2?

Thank God Zoochy stated that Team A was already in the bonus. What if these were the sixth, and seventh fouls, of the half?

deecee Mon Jan 10, 2011 06:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 714259)
So, with these fouls happening at the "very same time", who shoots first, A1, or A2?

who cares, pick one and have them shoot with the lanes clear and then have the next one shoot with the lanes occupied.

Jurassic Referee Mon Jan 10, 2011 06:42pm

Quote:

How can you decide which happened first? Zoochy was very clear, "at the very same time". He didn't say at approximately the same time. He said, "at the very same time".

Thank God Zoochy stated that Team A was already in the bonus. What if these were the sixth, and seventh fouls, of the half?

Sigh.....

http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...-multiple.html

JRutledge Mon Jan 10, 2011 07:02pm

Quote:

If you pick one no one is going to care. You really want to give two separate fouls to two different players? Simplify the game.

BillyMac Mon Jan 10, 2011 07:47pm

Just Brainstorming Here, Feel Free To Ignore Me ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 714278)
If you pick one no one is going to care. You really want to give two separate fouls to two different players? Simplify the game.

Wouldn't the coach want his better foul shooter to shoot last, thus taking away some chance of the other team getting a rebound?

JRutledge Mon Jan 10, 2011 07:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 714301)
Wouldn't the coach want his better foul shooter to shoot last, thus taking away some chance of the other team getting a rebound?

What does that have to do with calling a multiple foul?

Peace

BillyMac Mon Jan 10, 2011 08:00pm

I Need An Aspirin ...

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 714278)
If you pick one no one is going to care.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 714301)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 714302)
What does that have to do with calling a multiple foul?

Maybe the coach would care who you picked to shoot first. But maybe I'm wrong. These multiple foul threads are giving me a headache.