The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 18, 2002, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust

2. They have a limited time to graduate (5 years I think). I took 5.5 but I still graduated. Several of the players complete their degrees after their playing eligibilty expires. Yet, these players count against you as not graduating.
Actually, the NCAA gives them six years to graduate, for the purposes of this study. Any longer than that, and you might be Tommy Boy!
Old Fri Oct 18, 2002, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Re: It is all about winning.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
Are these coaches simply concerned with winning?
They sure are. Do you want to feed your family or worry about some kid who thinks he is going pro regardless of what you tell him?

I believe that the college has some responsibility, but the players have a bigger responsibility. Their parent have a bigger responsibility. Their peers have a bigger responsibility. Instead of telling the kid how great of a player he is, tell the kid that if he does not get an education, he is in big trouble. Every kid thinks he is going to hit the lottery by making the NBA. If someone around him does not keep his feet on the ground, he might not value anything else.

You can make them go to class, but that does not mean they will learn anything if they are not there to do that in their own value system.

Peace
If it were just so easy. People just want their gladiatorsÂ…

The wife, through her sister, is a good friend of the mother of Robert Smith, X of Ohio State and the Vikings. While sitting out his sophomore year because had class conflicts with some practices he was branded a traitor to the school by both the public and the coaching staff. A member of which told him that he has to drop the classes.

Came his senior year and he again had conflicts with classes and some practices. The coach told him that he had to play football and that he had to drop classes. If he did so he would not have been able to graduate in 4 years. So, he took the coaches advice to the extreme and dropped OSU and turned pro. Again the public vilified him. (The Vikings were happy to send him to school in the off season.) The last I heard he was applying to medical school.
Old Fri Oct 18, 2002, 02:12pm
In Memoriam

Robert Smith

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef

The wife, through her sister, is a good friend of the mother of Robert Smith, X of Ohio State and the Vikings. While sitting out his sophomore year because had class conflicts with some practices he was branded a traitor to the school by both the public and the coaching staff.

Robert Smith: Smooth as glass and full of class.

A Lion, Packer and Bear fan
Old Fri Oct 18, 2002, 02:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: It is all about winning.

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef

If it were just so easy. People just want their gladiatorsÂ…

The wife, through her sister, is a good friend of the mother of Robert Smith, X of Ohio State and the Vikings. While sitting out his sophomore year because had class conflicts with some practices he was branded a traitor to the school by both the public and the coaching staff. A member of which told him that he has to drop the classes.

Came his senior year and he again had conflicts with classes and some practices. The coach told him that he had to play football and that he had to drop classes. If he did so he would not have been able to graduate in 4 years. So, he took the coaches advice to the extreme and dropped OSU and turned pro. Again the public vilified him. (The Vikings were happy to send him to school in the off season.) The last I heard he was applying to medical school.
Some of the most successful people in this country are former atheletes. Robert Smith one way or another made a choice to be an athelete. If he had such a problem with the structure of his time at Ohio State, then he should have stayed out of it like he did before. I for one would have applauded him for it. If the system was against his academic goals, then he had a choice to make. He has made a choice to get out when he did, good for him.

Look, I come from an educated family. I grew up in a family that never allowed me to think of just sports. If I did not do my school work, I would not play, regardless of what a coach thought. As an African-American (which many of these atheletes are), I think these families are not putting education first and only looking at the brass ring. You have to have balance. From an Officiating stand point, I saw a kid that was a wonderful leader on the field. I told that kid "I love the way you handle yourself on this field, but if I do not hear from you as a good student, none of this athletic achievement is going to matter." I went on to say to this kid, "this sports day will one day end, you need something else to do after that." We have not set the bar high enough. There was a time when kids of color used athletics to just get an education. Now they go to college to make millions in the pros. Not everyone is going to be 7 feet tall. And even one of those kids that came from HS did not get drafted.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 18, 2002, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

I do think the parents have a huge impact on this from the outset. It Texas, we have a state UIL policy called "no pass - no play" If you don't pass all of your classes, you don't play.

In my house, my son was and is a straight A student. When he went out for basketball, OUR family (my wife and I) had a simple policy for him.... No A, no play. Since he'd demonstrated the ability to perform academically at that level, we refused to allow a slip in academics to play sports.

Was I scared to death that I'd be forced to tell him he couldn't play for half the baskeball season --- you bet! Would I have done it --- absolutely! He knew it, the coach knew it and because of that I didn't have to do it!
Old Fri Oct 18, 2002, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Mick-
How can you be a fan of the Lions, Packers and Bears!!!!

AK ref Ref
(Bear fan only)
Old Fri Oct 18, 2002, 04:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by AK ref SE
Mick-
How can you be a fan of the Lions, Packers and Bears!!!!

AK ref Ref
(Bear fan only)
Yeah, I know... it's weird.
Raised 70 miles outa Detroit. (But now - 12 hours from Detroit, 4 hours from Green Bay, 8 hours from Chicago, 7 hours from Minneapolis)
Black-and-Blue division. NFC.
Probably, the Lions have such a recent history that I started looking for somebody to love.

My heroes were: Lane, LeBeau, Lary and Lowe, and Adderly and Wood.
Old Fri Oct 18, 2002, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Question about Questions from a Coach

The rules about counting graduation rates apply the same to all students. The comparison of rates between players and the rest of the student body, or other schools, is a fair comparison. The difference is that in most cases the non-graduates went to college to play ball while (most of) the rest of the student body went to get an education. The players that graduate from these programs are exceptions who take the whole process of becoming adult seriously. (And no, I don't agree they are adults yet. Some of them never make that level.) Some schools, like Stanford and Princeton, have enough of an accademic reputation to get a fair percentage of the rare players who are really student athletes, not just athletes who happens to be students. The other players tend to leave school when things don't go their way, or, on the rare occaision that they can go pro. They'll change schools if they don't get along with the coach but still look good to another program. They'll drop out if they can't cut it. And look at how many are in class after the end of the last season of their eligibility. (Heck, attendance after the end of the season but before the NBA draft, will tell you whether an underclassman is going to announce for the draft.) I don't see a change as long as there are people like me.
I LOVE COLLEGE BASKETBALL.
Old Fri Oct 18, 2002, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
While I agree that the numbers are very disturbing and that these kids would be better served with a college degree, let me ask all of you a question. If, after the first two years of you college experience, you thought you could be successful in the field you wanted to persue, "experts" agreed with you and someone was willing to pay you millions of dollars to leave college who can honestly say they would turn down the chance?
Well, I know I'm a little weird, but I did in fact have the chance to leave college and go into a career with the offer of immediate big money, and bigger out there in the near future; with national exposure and celebrity status. It was a career that I had been working away at, and the offer was that sort of phone call everyone always dreams of. And I turned it down. And I have never regretted it, other than those three am regrets that everyone has. (It was NOT an athletic career, by the way) But that was more years ago than I care to admit. How can you convince kids in this age of glitter and hype? "Hoop Dreams" doesn't look as real as "Space Jam". And then, too, there may be more kids that turn down the offer than we realize. We only hear about the kids that leave school, but there may be some of the others. Why would any commentator want to discuss mature, quiet, logical thinking?

[Edited by rainmaker on Oct 18th, 2002 at 11:38 PM]
Old Sat Oct 19, 2002, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Well, I know I'm a little weird, but I did in fact have the chance to leave college and go into a career with the offer of immediate big money, and bigger out there in the near future; with national exposure and celebrity status. It was a career that I had been working away at, and the offer was that sort of phone call everyone always dreams of. And I turned it down. And I have never regretted it, other than those three am regrets that everyone has.
Good for you! Success is not just measured in $$$.

Quote:

And then, too, there may be more kids that turn down the offer than we realize. We only hear about the kids that leave school, but there may be some of the others.
I believe once a kid gets far enough into negotiations to
turn down an offer (or maybe even just an offer of an offer)
he has forfeited his amateur standing under NCAA rules.
So maybe the reason we don't hear about kids turning down
offers to remain a student is they are no longer included in the "student athlete" column. WHen we hear a kid has
decided to not go pro it means he's decided to keep his
amateur standing and not pursue offers (in theory).
I'm sure there are lots of "under the table" discussions, so
if a kid decided to turn down one of these offers it would
never get out. Anyway, I'm be no means an expert on NCAA eligibility but I do believe it works along those lines.
But I bring it up to include the boat load of complicated
NCAA regulations into the discussion.

If there are any recruiters/agents/NCAA compliance people
out there maybe you can add more...

[Edited by Dan_ref on Oct 19th, 2002 at 09:25 AM]
Old Mon Oct 21, 2002, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Why do we expect more out of coaches than ourselves?

Many in this thread have asked--explicitly or otherwise--what kinds of priority sets the coaches at the major programs have when they are producing numbers like the ones in the referenced article. Responses have varied: "ultimately the kids have to take responsibility as adults," "parents have to instill these values earlier; coaches can't be expected to do the impossible," "of course the coaches are just in it for the money." Despite the quotation marks, I'm paraphrasing here, but I think I'm capturing the spirit of the responses nevertheless.

There are grains of truth in all of these. But they all miss the big picture. What is so striking to me is not the low graduation rates. What is striking is the collective incredulity on the part of almost everyone whose reactions I have heard or read about when they see this or a similar article. The monster that is major semi-professional, er, college sports didn't just pop up. We created it. You and I. Every time we tune in to March Madness. Every time we pay $35 to get into a BCS conference football game. I know I'm guilty. Last Saturday I went to watch my favorite football school play. They're paying some of their players, and I know this. And yet I continue to give tacit approval to the system by showing up in colors (By the way, if you wonder if your favorite college team is cheating, you need only ask yourself the following question: Are they winning?).

We as fans have a nearly insatiable desire for coverage of these events. On at least some level, we realize that this interest means big money. We don't have any problem looking at what kinds of actions greed motivates in the non-sporting world, and in some cases it may even generate genuine outrage (Enron and WorldCom). But when it comes to decadence in the world of college sports, we feign disbelief. Maybe it's because we want to hold onto the notion that there is still something pure in college athletics. Well, there still is plenty that is pure in college athletics, but what there is, you will not see on television, which is why it's still pure. Television is, after all, the food that this monster feeds on.

I confess I am too weak to do what I know that I should do; what I would do if I had the courage of my convictions: never watch another college football or basketball game on television. Not even attempt to ever make it to DI basketball as an official. Because to do these things is to give tacit acceptance to a system that makes a farce out of the ideals of the university, and mocks, directly and indirectly, all of the people that study and teach in it. But I went to college at a basketball school. And I grew up in a state where college football is king, and those passions run deep. And I want to work that 9pm Wednesday ACC game of the week on ESPN someday.

But I am addicted...to watching those games, and pursuing this dream. So at this point, my tack is simply not to gasp when I see that Cincinnati doesn't make a habit of signing a young many to play basketball, and helping him to get a degree there within six years. I recognize that in many cases it's a joke to call these athletes students.

That doesn't mean I think they're bad people, the players or the coaches. They're simply products of a system. They are products of a system that I have created. So when I make value judgments on these people, I am looking in the mirror. I hope as fans we can all recognize our part in this tragedy, and act individually to change its ending.
Old Mon Oct 21, 2002, 05:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Wink jbduke

Why do kids go to college? To get a job. If they can get one that pays or has security that allows them to not finish, they will do that. If people could find out a way to become a lawyer or a doctor and make the same kind of money, they would. Just like anything in life, people tend to have unrealistic expectations. Whether it be a business deal or what they will do with their education, not everyone thinks of the reality that life will bring them. When I went to college, most of my peers thought they would roll of the graduation ceremony with a $40,000 a year job no matter what. What many of them found out that they might be lucky to make $30,000. And that is why many are going back to school because what they thought about the real world was not so true. Well unfortuanately basketball players are the very same way. Everyone thinks they have the talent to be a first rounder and make that guaranteed money. But they do not see all the players that do not make it. Or the Stacy King that was a first rounder but sat the bench his entire career. Or even the Arkansas team that won the National Championship and the entire starting 5 went pro regardless of experience. What about the great Duke teams or UNLV team? How many pros are off those two teams that played one of the classics?

We are in a Sportcenter and video game age. We see the highlights or the name in the game or on the cover, but do not see the hard work it took to get there. Not much differnet than officiating if you think about it.

Peace