The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Does your assocation use film to train? Camera question

Our local associationg will be doing a serious overhaul of training and evaluations in the near future. We will hopefully be incorporating a lot of video into the training as well as the evaluation of our officials. Do any of your associations use this? If so, do you know what kind of cameras they use for this? We would need something that's high quality enough to be able to disect the plays, but affordable for us as well. Need one where games can easily burned to a disc afterwards. Thanks!
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

We do not and we should.

I own a JVC HiDef Digital Camera. It would be very good for this. I have filmed seminars with this camera and posted them to the net. ( on a private website )
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS 20 View Post
Our local associationg will be doing a serious overhaul of training and evaluations in the near future. We will hopefully be incorporating a lot of video into the training as well as the evaluation of our officials. Do any of your associations use this? If so, do you know what kind of cameras they use for this? We would need something that's high quality enough to be able to disect the plays, but affordable for us as well. Need one where games can easily burned to a disc afterwards. Thanks!
Not much at the assoc. Pretty much rely on the schools to burn a disc after the game, then take it home to view.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
We do not and we should.

I own a JVC HiDef Digital Camera. It would be very good for this. I have filmed seminars with this camera and posted them to the net. ( on a private website )
Do you think we'd be able to do something similar where we could create a website w/ log-in required to be able to store our game films and give officials the chance to go out and look at their game? Any idea on what the annual cost would be?
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 02:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

We use film from local colleges to demonstrate plays; but we do not use film of our members to train those members.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do you think we'd be able to do something similar where we could create a website w/ log-in required to be able to store our game films and give officials the chance to go out and look at their game? Any idea on what the annual cost would be?
The main cost is in having it posted to the site. If you know some one who could upload it, sites are cheap ( about $10 or so a year ) I paid $75 to have mine uploaded. You could use YouTube, but I wouldn't.

Check this out - http://www.kewego.com/video/iLyROoaf83Di.html

Last edited by Terrapins Fan; Fri Jan 07, 2011 at 02:25pm.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One of our conferences in Central Ohio is doing extensive in-person observations of their crews (we work exclusively in crews for many of our conferences in Central Ohio). One of my sons has videotaped our games a couple of times. We have found this to be very valuable since he videotapes the officiating crew as opposed to the game. He videos the officials on all violations, foul calls, foul reports, time outs, etc. He also makes sure to get the three of us in the video whenever possible. Our crew has found this tool to be exceptionally valuable.

I would recommend getting an HD camera. While Sony camcorders tend to be expensive, they are also very good in low level lighting situations -- much better than Canon or Panasonic, for example. Therefore, they tend to work well even in the older, darker gyms. Sony has camcorders in the $450 range that are HD, work well in low lighting and can record to memory cards or hard disks on the camcorders. These files can then be copied fairly easily to a DVD. For another $160, you can buy a Sony recorder that takes all need for brain function out of creating a DVD for each game.

The OHSAA has used actual video of tournament games to create instructional videos for our associations. These videos will, at times, have members of our associations in them.

Last edited by CMHCoachNRef; Fri Jan 07, 2011 at 04:26pm.