The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 03:58pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Dunno if this was mentioned.

Last night, Regional Final, Stanford put up a very important "three" attempt, very near the end of the game (1:20), to tie Michigan State.

Trail Man marked "three", and Lead Woman marked a "two".
Both signals were held until the shot went in.
Trail signaled "three"; Lead immediately went *Tweet*.

They went to camera and scored a "Two".

As has been said by the officials here, "Fix it now!"
mick

Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 04:13pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

The only problem with doing it that way is that you take a fast break away: the defense now has time to properly set up the defense they want, rather than the defense that they can muster because the offense quickly brings the ball back into play. If it is very late in the game, then it does make a difference.

Delaying the fix might give the new offense a false impression of how much they're losing by, and may adversely affect their offensive choices if they don't have the information to which they're entitled.

Either way, it's a no-win situtation. These errors just irk the heck out of me because they're official's errors.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

It just goes to show you that nobody is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes.

Just curious JugglingReferee, have you never made a mistake?

At least they stopped play and got things fixed. That is why they put replay into sports so that the call will be right.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 05:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by Redhouse
have you never made a mistake?
On that extremely rare occasion I make a mistake, I say, "That's only the third mistake I've made in my entire life. I've been married twice - so you do the math."

Of course, the other comment is: "I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong."
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 05:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
The only problem with doing it that way is that you take a fast break away: the defense now has time to properly set up the defense they want, rather than the defense that they can muster because the offense quickly brings the ball back into play. If it is very late in the game, then it does make a difference.

Delaying the fix might give the new offense a false impression of how much they're losing by, and may adversely affect their offensive choices if they don't have the information to which they're entitled.

Either way, it's a no-win situtation. These errors just irk the heck out of me because they're official's errors.
YU.P.
Brain cramps hurt worse than bottles.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 07:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee

It was really close, not helped by the fact that the entire three point area, not just the line, was black.

From my comfy vantage-point, I thought it was a 2. But either way it was close enough to review. Rather have the video than have to eat the mistake like we would have to do in a HS game. Course, we don't have 20 different angles in a HS game.