The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Coach was an official (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60065-coach-official.html)

chseagle Thu Dec 09, 2010 02:34pm

Coach was an official

Has this Tuesday night: The V C-Squad coach stated that before he became a coach he was an official for 10 years.

During the game, his team only had 5 fouls compared to the home team having 15 fouls.

Which is better: a coach that was an official or an official that was a coach?

Jurassic Referee Thu Dec 09, 2010 02:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 706452)

The answer depends solely on the individual.

stiffler3492 Thu Dec 09, 2010 02:47pm

Quote:

has this tuesday night: The v c-squad coach stated that before he became a coach he was an official for 10 years.

Who did he state this to? You? The officials?

During the game, his team only had 5 fouls compared to the home team having 15 fouls.

Not sure why that's relevant.

Which is better: A coach that was an official or an official that was a coach?

I can see both situations having positive and negative outcomes.

nt

just another ref Thu Dec 09, 2010 02:53pm

Which is worse, a timer without a taser or a question which has no answer?

Adam Thu Dec 09, 2010 02:57pm

Maybe we need a poll.

chseagle Thu Dec 09, 2010 02:58pm

He stated it to basically everyone within earshot (officials, H coach, table, both teams) before the C-Squad game.

He actually kept everyone in check as well when on the bench for the Varsity game as well.

The team we were playing against are basically the cross-town rivals & that was the most well behaved I've seen them. Not many fouls at all were called against them.

Adam Thu Dec 09, 2010 03:02pm

Typically, a coach who makes his officiating history known is really just informing us he's going to be a problem. I cringe every time I hear a coach say it.

We have a varsity official in our association who happens to coach a girls C-squad team, but if you didn't already know him, you'd never know he is an official when working his games.

jTheUmp Thu Dec 09, 2010 03:05pm

Coaching and officiating require different skillsets.

Officiating involves knowledge of rules and mechanics, judgment, game management, consistency, and physical fitness.

Coaching involves instruction, motivation, some rules knowledge (although I hardly expect coaches to know every single rule and caseplay), and the patience to deal with the attitudes of various players (and their parents).

A great coach might (or might not) be a great official. A great official might (or might not) be a great coach.

My typical thought when a coach tells me he/she "used to be an official" is "Well, there's obviously a reason you aren't one anymore."

chseagle Thu Dec 09, 2010 03:23pm

He was very well behaved throughout the game. He'd just make slight comments about missed calls & he was actually kinda mentoring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 706462)
Typically, a coach who makes his officiating history known is really just informing us he's going to be a problem. I cringe every time I hear a coach say it.

We have a varsity official in our association who happens to coach a girls C-squad team, but if you didn't already know him, you'd never know he is an official when working his games.

Adam Thu Dec 09, 2010 03:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 706473)
He was very well behaved throughout the game. He'd just make slight comments about missed calls & he was actually kinda mentoring.

Here's the thing. I do not want a coach mentoring me during the game. Period. He's not my coach, he's not my mentor. Making slight comments and trying to mentor me is going to cost him the coaching box if he doesn't stop when I tell him to do so.

And for him to "mentor" in a public way after making comments to everyone who can hear him that he was an official for 10 years is not reasonable behavior.

The coach I mentioned previously doesn't make "slight comments about missed calls," either. He'll ask the occasional question; but I've never seen him so much as flinch at the answer.

BLydic Thu Dec 09, 2010 03:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 706473)
He'd just make slight comments about missed calls & he was actually kinda mentoring.

Now that's funny! ROFLMAO

JRutledge Thu Dec 09, 2010 03:34pm

Just because you were an official for 10 years does not mean that you were a very good official. Just because you were a coach before you became an official does not mean you were a good coach. Being an official is about knowing rules and applying them in a very specific manner and being professional. Coaching is about Xs and Os and knowing how to draw them up and think of the fly. I am sure those skills would help, but that does not mean you are very good at what you came from. I would only really have respect for a coach if they did similar things or achieved more than I did as an official. If they had not done that, I would not put much stock in their experience.

Peace

chseagle Thu Dec 09, 2010 03:38pm

IOW He'd ask why the call was missed & make suggestions as to positioning, so the call won't be missed next time or comment to his team about the missed call & what needs to be done differently to make sure that call doesn't happen.

For crowd numbers we only had about 30 people watching in the stands.

Snaq, I do see where you're coming from concerning the conduct though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 706474)
Here's the thing. I do not want a coach mentoring me during the game. Period. He's not my coach, he's not my mentor. Making slight comments and trying to mentor me is going to cost him the coaching box if he doesn't stop when I tell him to do so.

And for him to "mentor" in a public way after making comments to everyone who can hear him that he was an official for 10 years is not reasonable behavior.

The coach I mentioned previously doesn't make "slight comments about missed calls," either. He'll ask the occasional question; but I've never seen him so much as flinch at the answer.

bob jenkins Thu Dec 09, 2010 03:39pm

Quote:

No. Final answer. SNG

Refsmitty Thu Dec 09, 2010 03:42pm

Interesting

Had a football coach do that with this year - including all of the BS about respecting, how hard it is etc... was the biggest pain in the a__ we had all season - to the point of almost being out of control!:rolleyes: