The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Pants: Sansabelt vs. Smitty (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59957-pants-sansabelt-vs-smitty.html)

biggravy Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:19pm

Pants: Sansabelt vs. Smitty

I have always worn Sansabelt flat front, size 40. They are always a little tight on the thighs and loose on the waist so I order 40 and have the live in tailor take the waist in about two inches. They look sharp that way.

My question for those who have worn both: Smittys are cheaper and I have been thinking of trying them. How do the compare in size to Sansabelts? Do they run smaller, bigger, same at the waist? Thigh? Is the quality comparable?

JRutledge Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:38pm

I own both. I think Sansabelt all the way. But it appears the the Smitty kind are made by the same company as there is a Sanabelt waist band inside of the Smitty brand. Both are almost the same (at least they were when I bought them).

Peace

BktBallRef Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:50pm

If you ever officiate in a pair of pleated slacks, you'll never go back to the flat front.

constable Wed Dec 22, 2010 09:23pm

Why do you say that? I have both and prefer the flat front.

BktBallRef Wed Dec 22, 2010 09:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by constable (Post 709523)
Why do you say that? I have both and prefer the flat front.

There's always the one odd bird.

Freddy Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:10pm

Caveat Emptor

Just got a new pair of flat-front Smitty's in last week. Went to a larger waist size, 36, and was surprised how baggy the legs were. A few bucks to the local tailor lady, and overnight she brought the legs in so that they're just right now. She also let out my Sansibelt to give them a little more room, so my back up pants are even better than before.
First experience with Smitty's, but I like 'em. Though I alternate between them and my Sansibelt every other game now.
Thanx for the tip for officialschoice.com's sale last week. Nice shirt for 10.00. Postage was 8.61, but still a good deal for the price.

kgeorge0263 Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:14pm

Not a smitty fan

I guess I should do the same as Freddy...I don't like how baggy the Smitty's are. They are also lighter in weight than Sansabelts. I feel when I run that the bottom of the pants come up above my socks, so I need the legs taken in, which I really don't want to pay for. I may just spend the $40-$50 for Sansabelt pleated and get them hemmed.

tjones1 Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:17pm

I wear Sansabelts.

However, I've seen the Smitty's up close and they look very close to the Sansabelts.

Welpe Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:27pm

Same complaint with the Smittys, legs are too baggy. I like em otherwise.

bigbeardedbryan Thu Dec 23, 2010 09:04am

My new Smittys have very little elastic in the waistband, they almost feel like cardboard compared to the old Sansabelts. I was told it's a new waistband construction and it's not going to change going forward. The Smittys also seem to have disproportionately wide thighs. I really prefer my Sansabelts.

constable Thu Dec 23, 2010 09:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 709524)
There's always the one odd bird.

Pleats are goofy looking. all of my dress pants are flat front.

BillyMac Thu Dec 23, 2010 09:33am

I Get Them Special Made ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by constable (Post 709644)

My pants have a very obvious, large, bulge in the front. It's to attract hot, single moms. For some reason, the pants don't seem to be workng. Must be my tailor's fault?

Rich Thu Dec 23, 2010 09:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by constable (Post 709644)

Flat front pants scream out (to me) the same way that a belt does. Other regions and viewpoints may vary.

mbyron Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:06am

Like all matters of style, this wheel continues to turn. Right now, to advance and to look proper you wear pleats and no belt. If you stay in it more than 20 years, you'll see it change. :shrug:

BillyMac Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:08pm

Are White Shoes And Socks Appropriate To Officiate In After Labor Day ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 709656)
If you stay in it more than 20 years, you'll see it change.

Yeah? Right? In twenty years I'll be so old that I'll be wearing my belt up around my nipples.