The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Fouling airborne shooter when ball is dead... ? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59917-fouling-airborne-shooter-when-ball-dead.html)

justacoach Tue Nov 30, 2010 09:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 704032)
The question I was referring to was something to the effect of:

B2 excessively swings elbows after A1 has released the ball on a field goal try. The ball becomes dead immediately. True or False.

I answered False but did not find the exact rules citation.

The VHSL quarantine period is over and you can see your completed test as of midnight yesterday. IIRC, your incorrect answers have appropriate rules citations listed, but you might want to confirm with someone who got an answer wrong...:cool:

Nevadaref Wed Dec 01, 2010 07:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSidbury (Post 703908)
Per 4-19-1: A personal foul also includes contact by or on an airborne shooter when the ball is dead.

So, if the airborne shooter is considered to be in the act of shooting and has released (or tapped) the ball for a try but has not returned to the floor, could someone please give me an example of a foul occuring on an airborne shooter when the ball is dead ?

4.19.6 SITUATION A: B1 obtains a legal position in A1’s path before A1 becomes airborne. A1 jumps and releases the ball on a try for goal. Before returning to the floor, airborne shooter A1 charges into B1. (a) Before the foul by A1, B2 commits basket interference; or (b) after the foul on A1, B2 slaps the ball on its downward flight. RULING: In (a), both the violation and the foul are penalized.The basket interference by B2 causes the ball to become dead immediately. The violation is penalized by awarding the two points. The player-control foul on A1 is also charged. Team B is awarded the ball for a throw-in anywhere along the end line. A defensive-goaltending or basket-interference violation committed prior to a player-control foul does not contradict the general statement that when a playercontrol foul occurs that player cannot score. In the case of a defensive violation, it is the violation which results in awarding the score. In (b), the ball becomes dead and the try ends immediately when the player-control foul on A1 occurs. The action of B2 is ignored as goaltending cannot occur after the try has ended. Theball is awarded to Team B for a throw-in from a designated spot out of bounds closest to where the foul occurred. (4-12-1; 6-7-4; 6-7-9 Exception; 7-5-4a; 9-11)

NOTE:
There was a change made to the exception listed under 6-7 a few years ago. It now seems that the ball remains live until the airborne shooter returns to the floor OR the try or tap ends. I don't agree with that and have a problem with the change, but that's what it says.

Camron Rust Wed Dec 01, 2010 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 704165)
NOTE:
There was a change made to the exception listed under 6-7 a few years ago. It now seems that the ball remains live until the airborne shooter returns to the floor OR the try or tap ends. I don't agree with that and have a problem with the change, but that's what it says.

Really? The ball has alway become dead when the ball passes through the net or when an infraction occurs (other than a foul committed against the shooter).

VaTerp Wed Dec 01, 2010 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 704082)
The VHSL quarantine period is over and you can see your completed test as of midnight yesterday. IIRC, your incorrect answers have appropriate rules citations listed, but you might want to confirm with someone who got an answer wrong...:cool:

Thanks, I checked my results online and it does give the rules citation. I got this question correct but did miss 6 unlike the perfect among us.

Aw well, at least my 94 still qualifies me for post season games.

Nevadaref Wed Dec 01, 2010 07:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 704165)
NOTE:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 704255)
Really? The ball has alway become dead when the ball passes through the net or when an infraction occurs (other than a foul committed against the shooter).

Wrong part, Camron.

I'm not questioning the ball becoming dead following a made goal. I have a problem with it remaining live until the airborne shooter returns to the floor. Why does the position of a player (with regard to being in contact with the floor or airborne) have anything to do with the ball being live or dead? It doesn't and this was a very poor editorial change when slipped in a few seasons ago.

Adam Wed Dec 01, 2010 07:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 704430)
Wrong part, Camron.

I'm not questioning the ball becoming dead following a made goal. I have a problem with it remaining live until the airborne shooter returns to the floor. Why does the position of a player (with regard to being in contact with the floor or airborne) have anything to do with the ball being live or dead? It doesn't and this was a very poor editorial change when slipped in a few seasons ago.

This could have some interesting ramifications, too.

Quote:

The ball does not become dead until the try or tap ends, or until the airborne shooter returns to the floor, when: