The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Illegal Throw-In After Made Basket (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59899-illegal-throw-after-made-basket.html)

JohnDorian37 Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:48pm

Illegal Throw-In After Made Basket

Another question that's been on my mind--

Team A scores a basket, and B has an endline throw-in. B1 retrieves the ball while it is still in bounds (after it has gone through the basket) and passes/dribbles up the court (without throwing it in from OOB). Is this a violation (A ball underneath) or is it just whistled dead and team B instructed to make a proper throw-in?

What if B1 has one foot OOB and one foot in when he throws it in? What if he has one foot OOB and one in the air?

Mark Padgett Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDorian37 (Post 703641)

Team A scores a basket, and B has an endline throw-in. B1 retrieves the ball while it is still in bounds (after it has gone through the basket) and passes/dribbles up the court (without throwing it in from OOB). Is this a violation (A ball underneath) or is it just whistled dead and team B instructed to make a proper throw-in?

It would be a violation after five seconds.

Quote:

What if B1 has one foot OOB and one foot in when he throws it in?
That's an inbound violation.

Quote:

What if he has one foot OOB and one in the air?
Then he's legally OOB and there's no violation.

APG Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:53pm

Quote:

What if B1 has one foot OOB and one foot in when he throws it in? What if he has one foot OOB and one in the air?

Violation when it's obvious that Team B isn't going to be throwing the ball in.

Also if B1 has one foot out of bounds and one foot inbounds, then it's a violation. If B1 has one foot out of bounds and the other in the air, then a legal throw-in.

APG Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 703643)
It would be a violation after five seconds

Pretty sure that you don't have to wait 5 seconds. A casebook play came out a couple of year ago that said it's a violation once it's obvious that the team won't be throwing the ball in.

JohnDorian37 Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:55pm

So if they don't throw it in and start moving down the court, just count 5 seconds and then call a violation? What if other activity (e.g. a foul, a score) has occurred?

APG Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDorian37 (Post 703646)
So if they don't throw it in and start moving down the court, just count 5 seconds and then call a violation? What if other activity (e.g. a foul, a score) has occurred?

Don't wait five seconds. Once you realize that Team B won't be throwing the ball in, call the violation. It'll be obvious when Team B won't be throwing the ball in.

grunewar Sun Nov 28, 2010 01:06pm

An unusual one.....for me anyhow

Last night G JV Scrimmage. A1 scores. A2 picks up the ball while it's out of bounds and starts running the endline to inbound the ball. Me = :eek: TWEET!

Delay of Game violation.

All I could think of is she must have been confused from practices.

Funny thing was no one from B was really protesting or trying to get the ball from her.......start of a new season. Shrug.

APG Sun Nov 28, 2010 01:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 703648)
Last night G JV Scrimmage. A1 scores. A2 picks up the ball while it's out of bounds and starts running the endline to inbound the ball. Me = :eek: TWEET!

Delay of Game violation.

All I could think of is she must have been confused from practices.

Funny thing was no one from B was really protesting or trying to get the ball from her.......start of a new season. Shrug.

Is a delay of game warning the right call here? I don't know if I'd call it especially if Team B wasn't going for the ball. I'd just blow my whistle and reset the throw-in for Team B.

grunewar Sun Nov 28, 2010 01:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 703649)
Is a delay of game warning the right call here? I don't know if I'd call it especially if Team B wasn't going for the ball. I'd just blow my whistle and reset the throw-in for Team B.

I thought about letting it go at first, but called it because it temporarily confused team B and prevented them from getting the ball and inbounding it. A2 ran a pretty good way down the line and used several seconds before I blew it dead. Just my opinion. Other thoughts?

APG Sun Nov 28, 2010 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 703650)
I thought about letting it go at first, but called it because it temporarily confused team B and prevented them from getting the ball and inbounding it. A2 ran a pretty good way down the line and used several seconds before I blew it dead. Just my opinion. Other thoughts?

Isn't there a casebook play that tells us that if we believe Team A did this accidentally, we're directed to reset the play and give Team B the throw in? And if we think Team A did this on purpose, we charge them with a technical foul?

Jurassic Referee Sun Nov 28, 2010 01:49pm

Quote:

1) Team A scores a basket, and B has an endline throw-in. B1 retrieves the ball while it is still in bounds (after it has gone through the basket) and passes/dribbles up the court (without throwing it in from OOB). Is this a violation (A ball underneath) or is it just whistled dead and team B instructed to make a proper throw-in?

2) What if B1 has one foot OOB and one foot in when he throws it in?

3) What if he has one foot OOB and one in the air?

1) Violation as per NFHS rule 9-2-2

2) Violation as per NFHS rule 9-2-2

3) Legal. The thrower was OOB by rule..4-35-1(a).

BktBallRef Sun Nov 28, 2010 02:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 703650)

I don't see that it's any different than A2 knocking the ball away after it comes through the net. She delayed Tean B from getting the ball and inbounding it.

DOG warning works for me.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Nov 28, 2010 02:47pm

I am too busy watching both the Browns and Steelers win their games to do a search about the long long thread about this time of play a couple of years ago. I hope that one of the young ones on the Forum will do the search. I think "we" (as in the members of this Forum) even got the NFHS to issue an Intepretation on the play.

MTD, Sr.

Nevadaref Sun Nov 28, 2010 07:04pm

9.2.2 SITUATION C: A1 scores a basket. After the ball goes through the net, B1
grabs it and makes a move toward the end line as though preparing to make a
throw-in. However, B1 never legally steps out of bounds, both feet remain
inbounds. B1 immediately passes the ball up the court to a fast-breaking teammate,
who scores a basket. RULING: Cancel Team B's goal, throw-in violation on
B1. The ball was at B1's disposal after the made basket to make a throw-in. B1
must be out of bounds to make a legal throw-in. (7-4-3; 7-5-7)

Adam Sun Nov 28, 2010 09:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 703679)
9.2.2 SITUATION C: A1 scores a basket. After the ball goes through the net, B1
grabs it and makes a move toward the end line as though preparing to make a
throw-in. However, B1 never legally steps out of bounds, both feet remain
inbounds. B1 immediately passes the ball up the court to a fast-breaking teammate,
who scores a basket. RULING: Cancel Team B's goal, throw-in violation on
B1. The ball was at B1's disposal after the made basket to make a throw-in. B1
must be out of bounds to make a legal throw-in. (7-4-3; 7-5-7)

Thank you for saving me the trouble.