The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 27, 2010, 01:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I guess my caveat is that I only have these types of discussions in the first place with people who I can trust to have open/candid conversations. I don't even get involved in officiating conversations with people whom I'm not cool with. (except on the internet )
My experience is a bit clouded, as I've had a similar (traveling, but a different aspect) discussion with three veteran officials during a game (halftime). In that situation, following up with an email would have looked petty; but we had a rulebook with us and it still didn't do any good.
Old Sat Nov 27, 2010, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

that is one of the problems I'm having. There is only a select few of the guys that I work with that I even want to take advice from. I'm not trying to come across as a know it all or unteachable but I don't want to take advise from someone that doesn't have what I want. I learned that a few years ago. Don't take financial advise from someone who is broke...or take advise on how to landscape from a plumber...only take it from someone who has what you want. I'm sure I'm not alone on this but I think I'm ticking some guys off in our chapter. Thing is I don't want to be a ten year vet and still doing Jv jr high games...I want varsity games soon and then college games!
Old Sat Nov 27, 2010, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 View Post
that is one of the problems I'm having. There is only a select few of the guys that I work with that I even want to take advice from. I'm not trying to come across as a know it all or unteachable but I don't want to take advise from someone that doesn't have what I want. I learned that a few years ago. Don't take financial advise from someone who is broke...or take advise on how to landscape from a plumber...only take it from someone who has what you want. I'm sure I'm not alone on this but I think I'm ticking some guys off in our chapter. Thing is I don't want to be a ten year vet and still doing Jv jr high games...I want varsity games soon and then college games!
Don't take this the wrong way but you are taking a very narrow vantage point to an avocation that is more complicated than just knowing the rules and being a good official. Thousands of people can blow a whistle and call on ball fouls. Impatience in officiating might get you where you want to be fast but the fall will be just as swift. I think its reasonable to say that if you can blow a good game and manage all aspects of it and master these skills quickly, and I think that takes about 3-5 years for a good official to mature to that point. Then its fair to say you should have earned varsity games (Im also not saying you wont do any varsity games within that time but to get a substantial amount 15-20+).

Unless you are a woman who is a good official its practically unheard of to make the college ranks within 3-5 years anyway unless you know someone. If you are a very good female official you stand a good chance to be at the college level within 5 years EASY. 2-3 years might work, but you have to bust your butt at camps, off season games and be seen and when you are seen you impress.

In the end the only real 2 bits of advice I tell any rookie is listen to as many veterans philosophies and use what you are comfortable with, and secondly it's alright to screw up.
Old Sat Nov 27, 2010, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

I realize that...I'm not saying I'm going to be a division one official next year or anything lol. I just don't want my goals to stop at JV games that's all I ment by that. I really appreciate all your comments, I'll use them all and I'm sure it'll help me in future situations that I'll come accross.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 12:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

What are you doing that's ticking off the veterans? Stop doing that. No one says you have to take their advice, but no one says you have to tell them you're not taking it either.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2010, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
Quote:
There is only a select few of the guys that I work with that I even want to take advice from. I'm not trying to come across as a know it all or unteachable but I don't want to take advise from someone that doesn't have what I want.
With that statement you've just come across as a know it all/unteachable IMO. You can learn something from everyone you work with, whether it be how they handle a situation or better positioning, etc. Never go into a game with the mentality that you don't want to/can't learn from your partner. We're all still learning on some level.

If you feel you're getting the cold shoulder from the vets in your area take a step back and think about it. It could be the way you talk to them, especially those who you don't want to learn from. Maybe its your body language when you talk to them? Eye rolling, that kinda thing? I'm not saying that's the reason why, but it could be. Ask someone who you trust to give an honest opinion of you as an official and partner, you might be surprised at what you hear.

BTW, college ball in two years doesn't usually happen unless you're from SoCal. It's straight to D1 in that case
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I realize that...I'm not saying I'm going to be a division one official next year or anything lol. I just don't want my goals to stop at JV games that's all I ment by that. I really appreciate all your comments, I'll use them all and I'm sure it'll help me in future situations that I'll come accross.
Vehemently arguing with "peers" who have may have more power (years) than you will do you no good. Listen to the guys you want to, don't argue much with guys you don't think are very good. If you are calling it right, and they are not, they'll be in you rear view mirror soon, anyway.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 08:13am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post
Vehemently arguing with "peers" who have may have more power (years) than you will do you no good. Listen to the guys you want to, don't argue much with guys you don't think are very good. If you are calling it right, and they are not, they'll be in you rear view mirror soon, anyway.
But treat everyone with respect.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
But treat everyone with respect.
Yep. Even on here.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 03:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post
Yep. Even on here.
Never said I was perfect.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

You & TheOracle, both, have made perfect points in this post though!
Old Tue Nov 30, 2010, 10:53am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
As a rule of thumb, motivated 2nd year officials know the letter of the rule(s) better than a large percentage of the vets.
Why do you folks suppose this is? What are vets working on to maintain their vet statuses, in lieu of rules knowledge?
Old Tue Nov 30, 2010, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Why do you folks suppose this is? What are vets working on to maintain their vet statuses, in lieu of rules knowledge?
Game/People management. Coaches are a lot happier with officials that they generally can communicate with than one who knows all the rules but is unapproachable.