The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Coach Asks (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59883-coach-asks.html)

Rich Sun Nov 28, 2010 01:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 703601)
Nope, he caught it with one foot on the floor; in the front court. Then put his 2nd foot down in the backcourt.

Yup. A clear violation, although the coach thought the "three points" should apply.

Glad to see I made it to my second game of the season (this afternoon, boys varsity) before having to whack a head coach. Sigh. Now I get to file a report with the state.

bob jenkins Sun Nov 28, 2010 09:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 703526)
Last night we had an inbounds pass near the division line and the player caught the ball and established frontcourt status with one foot (only) down in the frontcourt.

Caught it in the air and landed on one foot in the FC, or caught it on the ground with one foot in the FC?

(edit: never mind. I see it was answered later).

DesMoines Sun Nov 28, 2010 09:34am

Yep... BillyMac should update this in the Misunderstood Rules post. His paragraph on this rule says it doesn't matter which foot comes down first... but it does. (9.9.1 SITUATION A)

Welpe Sun Nov 28, 2010 09:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 703604)

Glad to see I made it to my second game of the season (this afternoon, boys varsity) before having to whack a head coach. Sigh. Now I get to file a report with the state.

I take it you need to file a report everytime you T up a coach? The coaches I've had so far have been pretty mild. Probably just the calm before the storm.

BillyMac Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:44am

Au Contraire, Mon Amie ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesMoines (Post 703621)
BillyMac should update this in the Misunderstood Rules post. His paragraph on this rule says it doesn't matter which foot comes down first... but it does. (9.9.1 SITUATION A)

No, it doesn't.

Here's the paragraph from the list:

During a throwin, or jump ball, any player; or a defensive player, in making a steal; may legally jump from his or her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor, and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or the backcourt. These three situations are not backcourt violations.

Here's your case play:

9.9.1 SITUATION A: A1 catches the throw-in pass with one foot on the floor in
A's frontcourt
and the other foot not touching the floor. The non-pivot foot then
comes down in A's backcourt. RULING: Violation. Team control is established in
A's frontcourt when A1 catches the throw-in pass. The violation occurs when A1
subsequently touches the backcourt with the non-pivot foot. (4-12-6; 9-9-3)

The paragraph from the list refers to an "airborne catcher". The case play refers to a a player who caught the throwin pass with one foot in the frontcourt. Apples and oranges.

DesMoines Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:52am

Whoops! I stand corrected. Apologies.

BillyMac Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:21am

IAABO Refresher Exam ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesMoines (Post 703629)
Whoops! I stand corrected. Apologies.

Mr. Iowa: Your post gave me a good excuse to bring up an odd question from the 2010-11 IAABO Refresher Exam:

15. Defensive player B-2 leaps from his frontcourt and intercepts a pass from A-1 and lands on one foot in the frontcourt, jumps from that foot and comes to the floor in a stride jump stop with both feet landing simultaneously in his backcourt. The officials rules this a backcourt violation. Is the official correct?
Answer: No (9-9-3).

Did I get an easy question wrong? I guess that a legal landing is the same as a normal landing?

Scrapper1 Sun Nov 28, 2010 04:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 703631)
I guess that a legal landing is the same as a normal landing?

That must be the thinking behind the answer, but I admit that I would call a violation every time.

mplagrow Sun Nov 28, 2010 08:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 703450)
I prefer, "It wasn't my area, coach."

Incidentally, coaches prefer that response too.:D

justacoach Sun Nov 28, 2010 08:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 703631)
Mr. Iowa: Your post gave me a good excuse to bring up an odd question from the 2010-11 IAABO Refresher Exam:

15. Defensive player B-2 leaps from his frontcourt and intercepts a pass from A-1 and lands on one foot in the frontcourt, jumps from that foot and comes to the floor in a stride jump stop with both feet landing simultaneously in his backcourt. The officials rules this a backcourt violation. Is the official correct?
Answer: No (9-9-3).

Did I get an easy question wrong? I guess that a legal landing is the same as a normal landing?

Billy, does "stride jump stop" carry a specific meaning in IAABO vernacular?

JRutledge Sun Nov 28, 2010 09:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 703503)
There's a better way of saying the exact same thing:

"I was watching XXXXX," replacing the XXXXX with exactly what you were watching at that particular time.

Or even saying, "I was looking elsewhere" sounds marginally better than saying "it's not my area."

Or even saying, "I didn't see it, but I'll keep an eye out for it."

Coaches DO NOT CARE about areas or primaries or such.

This is all true, but they are going to accept that answer from me. Honestly I think we worry too much about how they are going to react to the truth. If I was not looking there I see no reason to lie. If I saw the play and did not judge the action to be a foul, then I will say so. If my partner had a better look on a play (or it was in their primary) I will tell them that.

When coaches or players are asking you to watch for something, it usually means "bail me out from myself." Often when a player thinks their being held they want to give that as the excuse for not making an attempt to get away. When a coach insists you look for something, they are saying "please help my team out because I need the call."

I tend to play the same game with them and say something or ignore them. When I usually say something like, "Well I did not see it that way" and I explain why, those comments tend to stop. I do not tell them how their job, they have no business telling me how to do my job.

Peace