The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   backboard (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59798-backboard.html)

timeout Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:58pm

backboard

A1 dribbles toward her basket, shoots, but the ball hits the side of the backboard and comes right back to her. She then dribbles around a little.
Is this a double dribble violation?

26 Year Gap Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:14pm

no

justacoach Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:42am

180 degree switcheroo

Quote:

Originally Posted by timeout (Post 702131)
A1 dribbles toward her basket, shoots, but the ball hits the side of the backboard and comes right back to her. She then dribbles around a little.

Easy answer, NO. Place this action at the opponent's backboard and we got a headscratcher..

Camron Rust Sat Nov 20, 2010 01:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 702137)
Easy answer, NO. Place this action at the opponent's backboard and we got a headscratcher..

Do you normally scratch your head on violations?

Jurassic Referee Sat Nov 20, 2010 07:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 702137)

Case book play 4.15.4SitC(a)

so cal lurker Sat Nov 20, 2010 06:24pm

Coaches and players are often confused, perhaps in part b/c this is a violation in the NBA, which only permits a player to rebound his own shot if it touches the rim.

Quote:

Originally Posted by timeout (Post 702131)

Adam Sat Nov 20, 2010 06:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 702232)
Coaches and players are often confused, perhaps in part b/c this is a violation in the NBA, which only permits a player to rebound his own shot if it touches the rim.

As much as they cry on this play, X 10 for airballs.

APG Sat Nov 20, 2010 09:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 702232)

Incorrect. A player can retrieve the ball if it hits the backboard or rim.

NBA Casebook 2010-2011

9. Player A1 passes the ball and it hits his backboard. May Player A1 be the first to touch the ball?

Yes. A player may be the first to touch his own pass if the ball touches
his basket ring, backboard or another player.

RULE 10 - SECTION XIII - g

Johnny Ringo Tue Nov 23, 2010 01:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 702272)
Incorrect. A player can retrieve the ball if it hits the backboard or rim.

NBA Casebook 2010-2011

9. Player A1 passes the ball and it hits his backboard. May Player A1 be the first to touch the ball?

Yes. A player may be the first to touch his own pass if the ball touches
his basket ring, backboard or another player.

RULE 10 - SECTION XIII - g

Is this the same for NFHS? I had this play in a varsity boys high school game. Player attempted a pass to a player who was cutting - the ball was a bit high and hit the backboard, the passer quickly reacted, caught off the board and then made a dribble a scored.

This was a head scratcher to me. I was working with two college officials and they had nothing.

Jurassic Referee Tue Nov 23, 2010 07:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 702699)
Is this the same for NFHS? I had this play in a varsity boys high school game. Player attempted a pass to a player who was cutting - the ball was a bit high and hit the backboard, the passer quickly reacted, caught off the board and then made a dribble a scored.

This was a head scratcher to me. I was working with two college officials and they had nothing.

As cited in NFHS case book play 4.15.Sit.C(c), it's a legal play as long as you rule that it's a try. And unless you can read minds, the accepted call by all officials...oh....forever.... has been to always rule that it was an attempted try. That's why your college official partners had nothing on the play. No normal, sane official would rule it as being a pass when there is even the tiniest doubt that it might have been a try. And as I said, unless you can read minds there HAS to be that little bit of doubt there.

And if BillyMac starts up on this forum about this particular call, I will personally travel to Connecticut and remove his gonads with a dull butter knife, such knife having been supplied by BktBallRef. You've been warned, Billy.

BillyMac Tue Nov 23, 2010 07:47am

Got Your Passport ???

Nevermind.

Also, according to my pseudo screen persona, I'm an environmental chemical analyst from Connecticut. I'm really a sweet transvestite from Transsexual, Transylvania.

Johnny Ringo Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:19am

Jurassic Referee .... I appreciate your detailed answer.

In this particular play, there was little no doubt it was not a pass :)

A1 was trying to connect with A2 who had slipped behind the defender. A1 never jumped and made the throw with two hands over the top of his head.

In accordance to NFHS rules, this would be illegal, because it was not a try? What would be the call?

Thanks!!!

Adam Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 702757)
Jurassic Referee .... I appreciate your detailed answer.

A1 was trying to connect with A2 who had slipped behind the defender. A1 never jumped and made the throw with two hands over the top of his head.

In accordance to NFHS rules, this would be illegal, because it was not a try? What would be the call?

Thanks!!!

My call would be nothing; because I'm not going to be the only guy who makes that call. The accepted call is to rule this a try and play on.

bob jenkins Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 702757)

Huh?

In any event -- play on if the ball hits the team's backboard.

If it hits the opponent's backboard, that's a different story.

26 Year Gap Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 702765)
Huh?

In any event -- play on if the ball hits the team's backboard.

If it hits the opponent's backboard, that's a different story.

yup.... bad pass = bad shot I got nuthin