The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 18, 2010, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Upward ref
What not to do !

My first experience in our "practice tournament" was fun for sure. Most of the jokes were at our own expense though. Rushing always caused problems.My partner hurried after reporting a foul and then realized we didn't switch positions right before he was going to administer the throw in. So he puts the ball on the floor at the throw in spot and takes off towards me on a dead run to switch when the thrower grabs it, throws it in to a teammate and they take off the other way ! We weren't laughing then ( nor were our assignors and trainers ! ) but it seems rather humorous now . For my part, I was in a rush to report a foul and by the time I got to the table with the defensive illegal use of the hands foul ,for some reason reported it as a player control foul. And wondering why the timer was looking at me with a confused look . Actually reported all my fouls to the timer now that I think about it ! At the pre game , the A.D. told us that subs would come and go pretty much as the coach desired as long as an advantage wasn't gained . That didn't work so well when it was 6 on 5 for a few minutes ! Even us newbies figured out in a hurry to tell the coaches we wouldn't tolerate that any more . No technicals were called , but it came close with me a time or two . My first T is probably going to be an ironclad ,no brainer. Glad those mistakes are behind us and hopefully they won't be repeated tonight (or ever!)
Old Thu Nov 18, 2010, 11:16am
TODO: creative title here

If you don't switch positions after a foul and don't realize it till just before the throw-in, just roll with it... Having one official out of position (which is what happened to you in this case) is much, much worse then missing a position switch.

I'm sure you've already come to that conclusion though.

RE: foul reporting, as one of my clinicians said in my first scrimmage: "once you blow the whistle, you have all the time in the world. The game can't start again until you're ready to go"
Old Thu Nov 18, 2010, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upward ref View Post
My partner hurried after reporting a foul and then realized we didn't switch positions right before he was going to administer the throw in.
I'm sure they already told you, but in case they didnt:
When you are the non-calling official, do you & your partner(s) a favor by moving to your new position while observing the players as he/she is completing the table presentation.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2010, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upward ref View Post
Actually reported all my fouls to the timer now that I think about it !
You have a lot of company out there with this one.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2010, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
You have a lot of company out there with this one.
Did a search and couldn't find it. There was a story posted here a while back about an official, at the state championship game, reporting his first foul opposite to the broadcast table.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2010, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Did a search and couldn't find it. There was a story posted here a while back about an official, at the state championship game, reporting his first foul opposite to the broadcast table.
IIRC, BillyMac posted that story.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2010, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Wasn't that a P.O.E. that year, since the broadcasters were getting so many things wrong?
Old Thu Nov 18, 2010, 07:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

An Elephant Never Forgets ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
BillyMac posted that story.
A Taste of the Big Time......
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)