The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Case 6.1.1 Comment (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59748-case-6-1-1-comment.html)

Daryl H. Long Tue Nov 16, 2010 05:11pm

Case 6.1.1 Comment

6.1.1 COMMENT: Unless a technical foul occurs or a player violates during the dead ball which precedes the start of the game or each extra period, the game and each extra period is started with a jump ball in the center restraining circle

Is there any action which makes the words in bold true?

I am tryng to think of any way a player can violate during dead ball preceding start of the game and I am drawing a blank.

Adam Tue Nov 16, 2010 05:13pm

elbows? Leaving the court for an unauthorized reason?

bob jenkins Tue Nov 16, 2010 05:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryl H. Long (Post 701333)
6.1.1 COMMENT: Unless a technical foul occurs or a player violates during the dead ball which precedes the start of the game or each extra period, the game and each extra period is started with a jump ball in the center restraining circle

Is there any action which makes the words in bold true?

I am tryng to think of any way a player can violate during dead ball preceding start of the game and I am drawing a blank.

On a jump ball, when do the restrictions begin? When does the ball become live? (Hint: The answer to the second question is later than the answer to the first question.)

Jurassic Referee Tue Nov 16, 2010 05:20pm

AKA NFHS rule 6-3.

Back In The Saddle Tue Nov 16, 2010 05:32pm

It's all about the official, and when he or she is ready.

Daryl H. Long Tue Nov 16, 2010 05:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 701343)
AKA NFHS rule 6-3.

I read that and only one possible seems to be 6-3-2 but if I see a player desiring a spot before the toss I delay to let them attain the position as in 6-3-3.

I am trying to conceive why an official who is ready would delay so long in releasing the ball that 6-3-2 would even be possible.

Once players are set I blow whistle, step in and immediately release the ball. The time interval between my being ready and when it actually leaves my hands is so miniscule that the violation happens after the ball became live.

Adam Tue Nov 16, 2010 05:39pm

Not every official is quick like a preacher. :D

bob jenkins Tue Nov 16, 2010 05:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryl H. Long (Post 701352)
I read that and only one possible seems to be 6-3-2 but if I see a player desiring a spot before the toss I delay to let them attain the position as in 6-3-3.

I am trying to conceive why an official who is ready would delay so long in releasing the ball that 6-3-2 would even be possible.

Once players are set I blow whistle, step in and immediately release the ball. The time interval between my being ready and when it actually leaves my hands is so miniscule that the violation happens after the ball became live.

I've had players "move behind another player on the circle" in that interval.

Daryl H. Long Tue Nov 16, 2010 05:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 701335)
elbows? Leaving the court for an unauthorized reason?

Elbows, I can see.

If I see a player trying to leave the court before the ball is released for jump ball I will hold up play. A preventaative measure...injury, sickness, or just plain prevent a dumb act. Otherwise I am so focused on my duties (as U or R) that it could go unnoticed.

Adam Tue Nov 16, 2010 05:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryl H. Long (Post 701362)
Elbows, I can see.

If I see a player trying to leave the court before the ball is released for jump ball I will hold up play. A preventaative measure...injury, sickness, or just plain prevent a dumb act. Otherwise I am so focused on my duties (as U or R) that it could go unnoticed.

I could see a situation where a player slips off the court, in sight of the U, to try to be unnoticed.

Daryl H. Long Tue Nov 16, 2010 05:56pm

Thanks guys for input.

While not too complicated it may be beneficial to make statements like "start of the game", "referee ready", and when "ball becomes live on Jump" to happen simutaneously.

As it is they could occur at different times.

Jurassic Referee Tue Nov 16, 2010 05:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryl H. Long (Post 701352)

Yabut, what if your partner(s) calls a violation under 6-3 before the ball is touched? You ain't the only one with a whistle out there, Daryl, and your partner(s) have defined areas of responsibilties on jump balls also.

It ain't just "me, me, me..". Grin.

mbyron Wed Nov 17, 2010 07:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 701336)
(Hint: The answer to the second question is later than the answer to the first question.)

Won't that depend on which I answer first? :p