The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 11:23am
9 times

Training new officials

I teach the new officials class for my local association and have misplaced a handout that I have used for the past 10-ish years. Does anyone here have or know where I can get a handout titled "Cardinal Principles of Officiating"? While it is an older handout, it deals with fundamental issues regarding officiating that are still applicable.

You help is appreciated.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

How about Page 71?

Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 03:52pm
9 times

Thanks for the effort, but this was not about rules, it was about personal conduct as officials.

Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

I tried a quick Google search, hoping it might pop up. I got four hits, none of which was helpful, but one of which was this thread. That's quick!
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
Thanks for the effort, but this was not about rules, it was about personal conduct as officials.
Oh, sorry. How about Page 94 of the Handbook?

Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I teach the new officials class for my local association and have misplaced a handout that I have used for the past 10-ish years. Does anyone here have or know where I can get a handout titled "Cardinal Principles of Officiating"? While it is an older handout, it deals with fundamental issues regarding officiating that are still applicable.

You help is appreciated.
In the NFHS "Officials Manuel" there are about 2 pages worth of general instructions that cover everything from How to solicit games to when to arrive at the location.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Is this what you're looking for?

I found this at: CONSTITUTION

"Every member of SABO is expected to adhere to the cardinal principles of officiating. Including, but not limited to the following;
  1. Know the rules and administer them impartially, without fear or favor to anyone.
  2. Be on time for game assignments.
  3. Wear the proper game uniform and accessories. Maintain a neat appearance.
  4. Be in good physical and mental condition for a game assignment and refrain from consuming any alcoholic beverage or illegal drug prior to or during a game to which assigned.
  5. Do not solicit games from coaches or other school officials in position to influence the assignment of games or scratch lists.
  6. Do not fraternize with coaches, players, or spectators prior to or during the game. Officials may converse with coaches to impart necessary information within the context of the rules.
  7. Do not give information which a team may use against an opponent.
  8. Maintain a professional relationship with fellow officials; do not criticize fellow officials in the presence of coaches, players, or spectators"

Quote:

You help is appreciated.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 05:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

My Local Board Just Approved This ...

Quote:
PROFESSIONAL STANDARDS COMMITTEE
APPROVED CODE OF ETHICS AND CONDUCT*
1) members shall bear a great responsibility for engendering public confidence in sports.
2) members shall be free of obligation to any interest other than the impartial and fair judging of
a sports competition.
3) members shall hold and maintain the basic tenets of officiating which include history, integrity,
neutrality, respect, sensitivity, professionalism, discretion and tactfulness.
4) members shall master both rules of the game and mechanics necessary to enforce the rules,
and shall exercise authority in an impartial, firm and controlled manner.
5) members shall uphold the honor and dignity of the profession in all interactions with student
athletes, coaches, school administrators, colleagues, and the public.
6) members shall display and execute appropriate communications skills both verbal and nonverbal.
7) members shall recognize that anything which may lead to a conflict of interest either real or
apparent must be avoided. Gifts, favors, special treatment, privileges, employment or personal
relationship with a school or team which can compromise the perceived impartiality of officiating must be
avoided.
8) members shall prepare themselves both physically and mentally, shall dress neatly and
appropriately and shall comport themselves in a manner consistent with the high standards of the
profession before, during and after an assigned game.
9) members shall not be party to actions designed to unfairly limit or restrain access to
officiating, officiating assignments or association membership. This includes selection for positions of
leadership based upon economic factors, race, creed, color, age, sex, physical handicap, country or
national origin.
10) members shall be punctual and professional in the fulfillment of all contractual obligations.
11) members shall work with each other and their governing bodies in a constructive and
cooperative manner.
12) members shall resist every temptation and outside pressure to use ones position as an
official to benefit oneself.
13) members shall never gamble on any sporting event in which they have either a direct or
indirect involvement and may never gamble on events involving high school athletics.
14) members shall not make false or misleading statements regarding their qualifications, ratings
of themselves or others, credentials, experience, training or competence.
15) members shall accept responsibility for all actions taken.
16) members shall not use Board 6 data for solicitation purposes.
17) members shall not be on the sex offender registry. Members shall notify the
Secretary/Treasurer if they are on the sex offender registry.
* Source of Code of Ethics and Conduct was the National Association of Sports Officials (NASO)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 15, 2010 at 08:41pm.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 06:03pm
9 times

Thanks to each of you for your help. None of them were what I was looking for, but were helpful nonetheless.

Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
17) members shall not be on the sex offender registry. Board 6 members shall notify the
Secretary/Treasurer if they are on the sex offender registry.
So if I am a Board 6 member who is on the sex offender registry I am required to turn myself in. Members shall not be on the sex offender registry so I am kicked out. So why exactly am I going to turn myself in?
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 08:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Everybody In The Whole Cell Block Was Dancin' To The Jailhouse Rock ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
So if I am a member who is on the sex offender registry I am required to turn myself in. Members shall not be on the sex offender registry so I am kicked out. So why exactly am I going to turn myself in?
Not everyone is kicked out. It depends on the offense. There is an appeal process. The final decision is left up to our state interscholastic sports governing body, not our local board.

This is our first year of our state interscholastic sports governing body requiring criminal background checks for all officials, in all sports. At this point all we are required to do is to have our local board send our state interscholastic sports governing body a list of all our official's names and birthdates. If we, as individual officials, do not make our birthdates available to our local board, we will not be assigned games. At this point the state interscholastic sports governing body funds the criminal background check, however, in the future, this fee may be taken on by individual officials.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 15, 2010 at 08:50pm.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 08:40am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Not everyone is kicked out. It depends on the offense. There is an appeal process. The final decision is left up to our state interscholastic sports governing body, not our local board.

This is our first year of our state interscholastic sports governing body requiring criminal background checks for all officials, in all sports. At this point all we are required to do is to have our local board send our state interscholastic sports governing body a list of all our official's names and birthdates. If we, as individual officials, do not make our birthdates available to our local board, we will not be assigned games. At this point the state interscholastic sports governing body funds the criminal background check, however, in the future, this fee may be taken on by individual officials.
But PedoBear is definately OUT!

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.