The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   referee testing ball for proper air pressure (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59676-referee-testing-ball-proper-air-pressure.html)

bballrefinks Tue Nov 09, 2010 03:15pm

referee testing ball for proper air pressure

#21. When the referee tests the ball for proper air pressure, the test shall be conducted on the playing court surface.

This has to be true, common sense would tell me that. The question is where can I find it in the book

26 Year Gap Tue Nov 09, 2010 03:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballrefinks (Post 700171)
#21. When the referee tests the ball for proper air pressure, the test shall be conducted on the playing court surface.

This has to be true, common sense would tell me that. The question is where can I find it in the book

Look under Rule one, below the diagram of the authenticating mark.

bballrefinks Tue Nov 09, 2010 03:26pm

Geez I'm an idiot. How could I possibly miss that? Thanks.

26 Year Gap Tue Nov 09, 2010 03:36pm

Rule 1 is the driest of the 10 and I know that I tend to skim it. There are usually a handful of questions on the test pertaining to it, though.

grunewar Tue Nov 09, 2010 06:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballrefinks (Post 700171)

And always bring a small pump and needle too....just in case!

BLydic Tue Nov 09, 2010 08:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 700211)
And always bring a small pump and needle too....just in case!

You're kidding right? I do carry a needle, slips easily in the Fox 40 mouthpiece.

But a small pump? :eek:

BktBallRef Tue Nov 09, 2010 08:52pm

You've never called volleyball, BL?

grunewar Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:07pm

Nope, not kidding

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLydic (Post 700218)
You're kidding right? I do carry a needle, slips easily in the Fox 40 mouthpiece.

I've never used the pump at a V game before. But sub-v, AAU, and rec ball......yep, used it several times. Fits neatly into my bag.

Adam Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLydic (Post 700218)

I hope it doesn't slip easily out of the mouthpiece while you're using it. That could hurt.

BLydic Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 700226)
You've never called volleyball, BL?

No, basketball is it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 700230)
I've never used the pump at a V game before. But sub-v, AAU, and rec ball......yep, used it several times. Fits neatly into my bag.

Cool, I could see it being an inconvenience to bring to a varsity game.

BLydic Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 700236)
I hope it doesn't slip easily out of the mouthpiece while you're using it. That could hurt.

Spare whistle, fits nice and snug.

grunewar Wed Nov 10, 2010 05:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLydic (Post 700238)
Cool, I could see it being an inconvenience to bring to a varsity game.

It's no inconvenience, the pump fits right in my bag.

The inconvenience is if you can't find a good ball and no one has a needle or pump and you don't start the game on time.

Worst case scenario, it takes me a minute to jog back to the locker room get the needle or pump and make adjustments.

Rich Wed Nov 10, 2010 08:48am

I have never run into a situation where *all* the balls are under-inflated. Matter of fact, in 50 varsity games last season, the ball given me (or a partner) was under-inflated exactly zero times and overinflated about 47 times. We carry a needle in our jacket pocket and I've gotten some funny looks when taking pounds of area out of a way over-inflated ball.

If, for some reason a ball is under-inflated, I tell them I need a different ball. I don't carry a pump.

jkumpire Wed Nov 10, 2010 09:00am

A suggestion...

I happen to work VB and BK, and used to work FB. When you check air pressure as much as I do, it pays to spend some $$ and get a Molten Digital Air pressure gauge. It's darn expensive, but it makes the process of checking air pressure very, very easy, and it is small enough to keep in your jacket pocket.

Amazon.com: Molten Digital Air Pressure Pump and Gauge: Sports & Outdoors: Reviews, Prices & more

Jurassic Referee Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 700264)
I have never run into a situation where *all* the balls are under-inflated. Matter of fact, in 50 varsity games last season, the ball given me (or a partner) was under-inflated exactly zero times and overinflated about 47 times. We carry a needle in our jacket pocket and I've gotten some funny looks when taking pounds of area out of a way over-inflated ball.

If, for some reason a ball is under-inflated, I tell them I need a different ball. I don't carry a pump.

+1

I've always carried a needle to let air out but it's not my job to blow up balls. If I can't find a good ball from the home team, I go to the visitors. They all love to over-inflate 'em. They think it gives them a quicker bounce and are easier to dribble(and they are right). Teams have been over-inflating balls...oh...forever.