The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 08, 2002, 06:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

If I wasn't there, I wouldn't have believed it. I was working rec games last weekend with a guy who is a 15 year vet. I've worked with him many times before, and he always did a very professional job. I have no idea what got into him Sunday afternoon, though.

Our first two games were varsity girls and went rather smooth. Our third game was kind of strange. One team (white) was a true JV boys team, mostly juniors, a few sophomores and a freshman. The other team (blue) was an 8th grade all-star team. How they were paired up, I'll never know. Anyway - after the first 3 minutes of the game, blue was ahead 14-2!

There was a white timeout and my partner told me he was "fed up to here listening to that crap" from the white team. I hadn't heard anything so I was somewhat surprised.

We come out of the timeout and white 1 fouls a blue shooter. My partner makes the call. White 1 says something and WHACK! As my partner goes to report, the same player says something else. WHACK #2! He's toast. The coach gets up to complain and WHACK! That's three so far.

This is at a venue that has a house rule that all non-administrative technicals are two shots, the ball and two points!!!

We line up to shoot the original two shots for the shooting foul and all of a sudden I hear another WHACK. White 2 gets rung up. As my partner reports, white 2 goes toward his bench, peels his jersey off and throws it. WHACK again! Now he's gone. The coach starts to protest and, yep - you guessed it - another WHACK! He's now toast, too.

When we finally got the dust settled, blue received 12 automatic points for the six technical fouls, and made 10 of 14 free throws (including the original foul) for a total of 22 points. Then, they inbound, a kid puts up a three, it's good and he's fouled and makes the FT. All of a sudden, the score is 40-2.

We did manage to finish the game and blue won by about 30.

Boy - it's really fun being the good guy for a change.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2002, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
WOW!

Maybe Debra Winger just broke up with him?
Old Tue Oct 08, 2002, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Geez, good thing your partner didn't have any weapons!

Z
Old Tue Oct 08, 2002, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

He's not by any chance a postal employee, is he?
Old Wed Oct 09, 2002, 06:59am
In Memoriam

Question

Mark,
I suppose your partner wasn't in a chatty mood to explain what what was said, or why that happened ?
mick
Old Wed Oct 09, 2002, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Hey, Mark.

I have two questions:

1. Did your partner stick around and sign autographs after the game?

2. Did you run the opposite direction, as rapidly as possible, from your partner after the game?

BTW, sounds like the JV coach knew who he was playing - a better, YOUNGER team - and was having his ego bruised by it. That's when the bullseye appears on a ref's shirt.

- Catherine Aird
Old Wed Oct 09, 2002, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Finally, a post about a ref gettin' touchy, and not a single reference to estrogen!!

Mark, as always, e-mail me juicy details. I HATE being out of the loop!
Old Wed Oct 09, 2002, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Talking

No comment on estrogen, but this sounds like a perfect prozac moment!!!
Old Wed Oct 09, 2002, 12:34pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by co2ice
No comment on estrogen, but this sounds like a perfect prozac moment!!!
You are alive. I was beginning to wonder if all of the camps, etc. got the best of you. Glad you made it through the summer/camp experiences. Are you looking forward to the season? I just got my SWAC schedule and I am chomping at the bit.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed Oct 09, 2002, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like something I would do!
Well not quite, but I had similar situation last summer.(high school kids)
Team B is down by quite a bit towards the end of the game.
I call a foul on B. Kid doesn't like the call and wings the ball down to the other end of the court where it hits the backboard. WHACK! A few seconds later, another foul is called on B, B2 who wasn't even in the play, slams the ball ball to the floor and before my partner can pull the trigger, I got it! WHACK! So now the player who picked up the foul gets one, WHACK. Now the coach starts telling me I'm f***ing terrible, WHACK, then proceeds to continue, so rather than have A who is up by thirty, shoot 8 free throws, we called the game with 3 minutes or so left.
Sometimes it happens, you are the bad guy, nobody likes you, nobody is supporting you, and you just gotta do it anyway.
Drake
Old Wed Oct 09, 2002, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Thumbs up Good Job Drake !

As a coach, I gotta give you credit for handling a bad situation. Frustration makes lots of people go crazy. My guess is the coach went on to tell how his team got robbed by the refs. If he has any smarts, however, he would tell his kids that they all had a lot to learn from what happened and should always stay under control.
Old Mon Oct 21, 2002, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Your partner was wrong! He certainly didn't demonstrate the experience that he should have aquired after 15 years- however it's possible that he has been a terrible official from the very beginning.Regardless of what the white team said at the beginning nothing warrants what followed. I would have had a talk with him and somehow tried to calm him down. He was the problem- not the players IMHO