The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Revisiting 1972 Olympics final (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59628-revisiting-1972-olympics-final.html)

iliasbay Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:15am

Revisiting 1972 Olympics final

I took some effort to investigate events of the subject. Collected different materials, including videos, interviews, FIBA rules of 1972.
I put the results to last3seconds.com.
Anyone interested, welcome. Comments are very appreciated, especially if you find any mistakes or wrong conclusions.

Jurassic Referee Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:50am

My comment?

you really, really need to get over it. :)

rockchalk jhawk Thu Nov 04, 2010 01:19pm

My comments?

1) Awful grammar.
2) Awful writing.
3) You really, really need to get over it.

Indianaref Thu Nov 04, 2010 01:35pm

Have someone edit your writing.

Amesman Thu Nov 04, 2010 01:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockchalk jhawk (Post 699619)
My comments?

1) Awful grammar.
2) Awful writing.

Chalk Hawk: I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that English is not iliasbay's native language. But what he/she wrote is about 10,000 times more coherent than any stab most of us would make at writing it up in Russian or whatevertheheckitis his native language is.

Sounds like ilias had an itch to scratch and tried to satisfy it with some sort of research effort. Knock yourself out, ilias.

Saw a fascinating documentary-type piece on this game done by Bob Costas or somebody like that a number of years ago, giving the Russians' perspective. Remember their arguments for being rightful winners sounded fairly reasonable, or at least understandable. A real eye-opener.

Jay R Thu Nov 04, 2010 02:34pm

Interesting stuff. I was flabbergasted by the fact the timer at the Gold Medal Game of the Olympics were supposedly inexperienced.

iliasbay Thu Nov 04, 2010 03:00pm

Omg

Handful of replies, but almost nothing about the matter!
I know that my English is far from being perfect, but I hoped natives would understand what I have written.
I guess that my investigation is too detailed to become interesting to the public.

Mark Padgett Thu Nov 04, 2010 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amesman (Post 699622)
Chalk Hawk: I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that English is not iliasbay's native language.

You're right. According to his youtube page, he's Canadian, eh.

zm1283 Thu Nov 04, 2010 03:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by iliasbay (Post 699633)
I know that my English is far from being perfect, but I hoped natives would understand what I have written.
I guess that my investigation is too detailed to become interesting to the public.

Or disjointed.

Raymond Thu Nov 04, 2010 03:20pm

Quote:

We're not the public, we're basketball officials. ;)

Mark Padgett Thu Nov 04, 2010 03:26pm

I wish he'd start a website about that missed travel call in the 1936 Olympics. Now that was a big deal. :p

Jurassic Referee Thu Nov 04, 2010 03:27pm

Quote:

Well, that and the fact that your topic is 38 years old, has been done to death, and just isn't really that interesting to anyone anymore. And you can also take into effect that you posted it on a web site devoted to officiating and officials. The officials in that game didn't make the final decision. They simply followed the directives of the FIBA rep.

iliasbay Thu Nov 04, 2010 03:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 699637)
We're not the public, we're basketball officials. ;)

Even basketball officials can make an effort and become a public, for a moment. :)

Back In The Saddle Thu Nov 04, 2010 03:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by iliasbay (Post 699643)
Even basketball officials can make an effort and become a public, for a moment. :)

Can. Probably not likely to. But definitely can. ;)

iliasbay Thu Nov 04, 2010 03:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 699641)
And you can also take into effect that you posted it on a web site devoted to officiating and officials. The officials in that game didn't make the final decision. They simply followed the directives of the FIBA rep.

That's exactly why I posted it here. I had a hope that some of officials would go through the articles and, possibly, find weak spots in my argumentation.