The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Did I miss this one ? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59563-did-i-miss-one.html)

Refk Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:15am

Did I miss this one ?

Last night working MS game:

A1 dribbling ball in front court B1 knocks ball away and it hits B2's leg then A2's leg , ball then goes to back court. A1 retrieves ball, I call back court............. Did I miss this ?

I really got some grief from coach and crowd ....

Thanks

SmokeEater Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:21am

Review the criteria for back court violation then you can answer your own question.

1. Team Control
2. Ball and Player obtain front court status
3. Last to touch the ball in the FC
4. First to touch the ball in BC

So now what do you say?

tref Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refk (Post 698369)
Last night working MS game:

A1 dribbling ball in front court B1 knocks ball away and it hits B2's leg then A2's leg , ball then goes to back court. A1 retrieves ball, I call back court............. Did I miss this ?

I really got some grief from coach and crowd ....

Thanks

Nuff said!

Back In The Saddle Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:23am

You got it right.

"A player shall not be the first to touch a ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt." (NFHS 9-9-1)

Adam Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:36am

Good call. You can expect grief for this call at the ms level. You can expect grief for this call at the JV level. You can even expect grief for this call in some varsity games.

centkyref Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 698385)
Good call. You can expect grief for this call at the ms level. You can expect grief for this call at the JV level. You can even expect grief for this call in damned near all varsity games.

Fixed it for ya!:D

Refk Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:42am

Thanks for the feedback.

Multiple Sports Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:35am

Idiot Parents !!!!!!!

Do you really think some suburban MILF has a clue about that play or the

suburban dad, who secretly is a cross-dresser.

Good job of getting it right !!!!!!

GoodwillRef Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by multiple sports (Post 698411)
do you really think some suburban milf has a clue about that play or the

suburban dad, who secretly is a cross-dresser.

Good job of getting it right !!!!!!

lmao!!!

APG Wed Oct 27, 2010 02:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeEater (Post 698375)
Review the criteria for back court violation then you can answer your own question.

1. Team Control
2. Ball and Player obtain front court status
3. Last to touch the ball in the FC
4. First to touch the ball in BC

So now what do you say?

It is not necessarily for a player to have front court status.

A1 is passing the ball from his backcourt. The pass gets away from him and strikes an officials who is inbounds and has a front court position and rebounds back into the backcourt. A2 is the first to touch the ball....backcourt violation

To the OP...good job in getting the call correct!

Scrapper1 Wed Oct 27, 2010 04:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 698446)
It is not necessarily for a player to have front court status.

Good catch! Those 4 requirements are posted so often that I didn't even actually read them this time. You're absolutely right about making that correction! [Mad Dog]That's a good job by you, Mikey!![/Mad Dog]

SmokeEater Thu Oct 28, 2010 08:13am

So it is better described as;

The team in control has caused the ball to go into its frontcourt whenever:
• The ball, not in control of any player, touches the frontcourt,
• The ball touches or is legally touched by an offensive player who has both feet in contact with his frontcourt,
• The ball touches or is legally touched by a defensive player who has part of his body in contact with his backcourt,
• The ball touches an official who has part of his body in contact with the frontcourt of the team in control of the ball.
• During a dribble from the backcourt to the frontcourt, both feet of the dribbler and the ball are in contact with the frontcourt.

plus the other criteria mentioned.

bob jenkins Thu Oct 28, 2010 08:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeEater (Post 698584)

• The ball touches or is legally touched by an offensive player who has both feet in contact with his frontcourt,
• The ball touches or is legally touched by a defensive player who has part of his body in contact with his backcourt,
• The ball touches an official who has part of his body in contact with the frontcourt of the team in control of the ball.
• During a dribble from the backcourt to the frontcourt, both feet of the dribbler and the ball are in contact with the frontcourt.

On any of the first four, you could say "is in the front court" where that means "is touching the FC and not the BC or is in the air having left the FC".

Or, you could just refer to 4-player location and ball-location. That's all what "ball in the FC" means on the list of 4 points.

And, your items 3 and 4 on your list of 4 points are also incorrect. A need not touch the ball in the FC or touch the ball in the BC to have a violation.

APG Thu Oct 28, 2010 09:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 698591)
On any of the first four, you could say "is in the front court" where that means "is touching the FC and not the BC or is in the air having left the FC".

Or, you could just refer to 4-player location and ball-location. That's all what "ball in the FC" means on the list of 4 points.

And, your items 3 and 4 on your list of 4 points are also incorrect. A need not touch the ball in the FC or touch the ball in the BC to have a violation.

SmokeEater says he's from Canada...could this be a possible rule difference between U.S. codes and FIBA?

Adam Thu Oct 28, 2010 09:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeEater (Post 698584)

Both feet touching the FC isn't necessary. Just say "a player with FC status," as it includes all the possibilities. Something touching the FC with nothing touching the BC; or an airborne player who jumped from the FC.
The ones in red are wrong. FC/BC is determined by the team in control, so as long as the defensive player has part of his body in the offensive BC, he has BC status. The same goes for an official. In either of these two, if anything is touching the offensive BC when that person touches the ball, it maintains BC status.